Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-21, 10:00 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

A case for Baladea

I mentioned Baladea on the Tai Cheng thread, so I thought I would “out” myself as a Baladea fan (well, for three of the workouts anyways).

Power is a very well done strength workout. Generally speaking, the workout does a strength circuit 1x at a slower, lower rep pace and then does a 2nd round with a bit more speed, basically doing as many reps as possible. It’s a band workout really, but that doesn’t stop me from using dumbbells and getting an excellent total body strength workout in 48 minutes.

Flow is one of the best mobility-esque workouts I’ve ever done. There’s a chi gung element and it flows very well (hence the name I suppose). It has an Ellen Barrett/Classical Stretch feel to it and at 30 minutes, it’s a wonderful little workout and easily shortens to 15 minutes if I’m pressed for time.

Fusion kicks my ass, literally. My legs and butt are sore for Days after this workout, which uses no weights. There’s a PIYO slash Ellen feel to this one, but without the PIYO boredom (apologies to PIYO fans). It’s done outside and I really enjoy the interaction between the instructor Holly Perkins, and the background exercisers. This one runs about 46 minutes.

So the rest of the workouts I have to say I junked, although I now regret dumping the guided meditation disc (Calm, I believe was the name of it). I really like Holly’s style and I should have actually tried the dang meditation before poo pooing it.

Holly is an extremely good instructor. Very personable without being phony.

Anywho, that’s my case for Baladea. If you like Ellen style workouts, picking the set up for cheap might be worth it. I picked up the set for 16 bucks and the flow workout alone was worth the price.
Old 04-08-21, 10:23 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I'm copying and pasting my post from the other thread to give you some company here

Copied post:

Haha, I'm afraid to say that I think the workout with the band, Power, is pretty good.

The recent thread where people were talking about how bad it is made me pull out the set a couple weeks ago. I've had it forever but haven't ever done the workouts So I previewed all of them, and actually did the Power one and I thought it was a thorough strength workout with the band. I liked the setup of the workout, with circuits of doing a block of exercises for reps, then going back and repeating the same block of exercises for time, then moving on to the next block.

I thought Boost didn't look too bad, either (the interval one), but I didn't actually do it.

I don't like yoga, so that one didn't look fun to me anyway. One of them was really awkward looking, but I can't remember which one.

I do really like Holly Perkins as an instructor.

Looking at my Amazon history, I purchased this in 2017 for $15.99, so the band, drawstring bag, and at least one good workout make it worth what I paid, lol. The band is of very nice quality. I do NOT think it's worth the $90 or so that it originally sold for.
Old 04-09-21, 12:02 AM  
sillygirl

Is there an option to turn off the music and just have the instructor talking?
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 08:13 AM  
bubbles76

I am glad to see this. I feel a bit validated .
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 09:40 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Bubbles - LOL! You start wondering just what the heck is wrong with you when you feel like the only person that enjoys a workout that everyone else seems to dislike!

Silly girl (great user name) - yep, there’s a music off option!
Old 04-09-21, 10:38 AM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti S. View Post
Silly girl (great user name) - yep, there’s a music off option!
Thank you for the compliment and thank you for the answer!
Old 04-09-21, 10:59 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I am glad to see this. I feel a bit validated .
bubbles I can't wait to read your review when you eventually try it.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 01:20 PM  
star117

well, now I feel like this is something I need to try! LOL
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 06:05 PM  
sillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by star117 View Post
well, now I feel like this is something I need to try! LOL
+1!

I've watched the Boost and Power workouts on DailyMotion and they don't seem all that bad. I waffled on the $16 price a few years ago but should have just bought it then. LOL!

Some of Holly's comments can be cheesy but not any worse than Leslie who I find amusing.

I've always thought the house backdrop and colors were pretty, love the included timer/progress bar, low impact modifier, and if my daughter ever wants to workout with me we can do the partner exercises. Another plus is that they all seem happy to be there. I've been going through my DVD collection and realize I want to see smiling faces when I workout.
Old 04-09-21, 10:41 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I bought the Baladea set on Amazon few years ago for about $15. I tried one of the workouts and I too, thought it was bad in every respect although the packaging was really attractive. Now, having read Patti S post, I'm going to have go back and try Power, Flow and Fusion workouts. Yes, I still have this set and not only because nobody else wanted it but also because for some reason I'm compelled to keep all the DVDs I've ever purchased.

Tags
baladea, holly perkins, music off option