Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-17, 02:27 PM  
sherry7899

care package for cancer patient-please help

I found out a friend of mine who lives far away just had a hysterectomy and started chemotherapy. I wanted to send her a care package with some things to lift her spirits and some practical items.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas? Her poor family has had the worst time in the past two years. Her mom was diagnosed with cancer, but is doing well right now after being in the hospital all last summer, her sister who I was friends with also passed away from cancer last year, their father had a heart attack and heart surgery, and my friend who was just diagnosed went through her husband having open heart surgery three weeks ago. I feel terrible for her and just want to do something to help her feel a little better.

She's a music geek like me, so I have that covered. Any other suggestions would really be welcome.

Thank you!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 02:43 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Biotene, warm fluffy robe & socks, unscented lotion, warm shawl. If she has hair loss, soft hats, scarves. I particularly like my soft, fluffy, stuffed black bear. He was very comfortable to hug.
All my best to your friend.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 02:51 PM  
sherry7899

Kay, thank you so very much. She just had her first chemo treatment last Wednesday, so I do not know about hair loss. The socks are a wonderful idea.
I admit to not knowing what Biotene is-I will look it up. I think the unscented lotion is a really good idea also since I would think scents could hard for her to handle with nausea.

Normally I always bake for people, but I don't know what foods she can keep down. I'd be glad to make something for her DH and son though. I'd send the package Priority so they would not go stale.

ETA-looked up Biotene-thank you !

Sherry

Old 12-03-17, 03:16 PM  
wendug

Sherry- I don't know how much you want to spend, but if you could do a little sleuthing online you could find a grocery store near her that delivers. Giving her a gift certificate to a local grocery store would make things easier for her. Or a local restaurant that delivers in her area. Even if she does has an appetite, she might not have the energy to cook.
Old 12-03-17, 03:17 PM  
Pam

Does she like to read? When I am not feeling good, it is nice to get lost in an easy to read & entertaining book, such as a romance or mystery.
Old 12-03-17, 03:19 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Those are great suggestions! Homemade chicken broth might be nice, nutritious and simple if she doesn't have much of an appetite. Also ginger tea can help if the chemo gives her nausea. And magazines to flip through if she can't quite concentrate on reading a book.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 03:24 PM  
alisoncooks

Chapstick, packs of gum or hard candy, magazines.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 03:31 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you all so much!

Old 12-03-17, 03:44 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I'd agree on the ginger tea. Biotene is a great suggestion. Also hard ginger candies to suck on. Both anti-nausea and keeps the mouth moist. Should be natural as sometimes food additives and artificial sweeteners can not settle or irritate.

If she's starting chemo odds are she'll lose her hair, though it's been years since I had patients on it. Her skin will be really sensitive so avoid things like seams and ridges in hats or socks. The softer, the better. Years ago when I gave Tamoxifen infusions when it was new, a number of my patients got chills just from the infusion process.

Also, emails that are short, chatty and don't ask how she's doing or expect an immediate reply. She may have days she doesn't feel up to even reading much less replying but a bit of normal communication is often a nice boost, especially after months of living in the world of a cancer patient, though watch for signs she instead finds them a difficult reminder of life before. Being asked how she's doing will probably get tiresome, especially when the real answer is not well.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-17, 03:45 PM  
Erica H.

CJ hats on Etsy has a huge selection of scarves and hats made just for chemo patients and they are reasonably priced. They also have gift cards.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CJHats

I'm sorry that your friend is going through so much. It is so thoughtful of you to send her something. I'm sure it will be appreciated very much.

erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote