Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-14, 11:17 AM  
desderata

Sue, I did the floorwork from Firm Volume 1 and I can't remember the name of the other - it was a Firm compilation workout that was all floor work and was about half an hour. I also did Anna Benson's Kickbutt one with Susan Harris that is all floor work.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 12:21 PM  
SueT

Christine, you're recovery was remarkable! If I could walk a mile a week after surgery I'll be ecstatic! How long did you go between when you originally had the injury and when you got your surgery? With all the stuff that's happened in between to me, it'll be about 3 months from my initial injury until the surgery.

Desderata. thanks for your response on the floorwork. I've got all the workouts you used, and I was thinking of adding in Strong Strides when I get a little stronger. I want my life back, and I'm willing to work for it!

Thanks,
Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 01:05 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Genevieve M - I am very interested to hear more about your experience with PFJR surgery if you are willing to share. I have arthritis on the underside of my right patella and I think that is where I may be heading. I get pain at a certain point when I flex my knee more than 90 degrees. I am coping okay with it now and have had some improvement with supplements and incorporating more quad strength work and stretching. But I know it's a matter of time before I will need surgery, hopefully later than sooner.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 08:20 PM  
PLS

Sue- I had bilateral tears in my right knee and they had to clean up behind my patella as I had frayed all of the cartilage. I had done one tear a year prior but due to my high pain tolerance worked around the pain and finally got to a point where I was still exercising and working. I work out patient PT so on my feet daily, LOVED HIIT workouts the whole 9 yards. Then in Feb I did something heard the snap and thought darn that hurts. After 2 weeks of icing and everything else I could come up with I made an appt with an ortho doctor. Got to see the nurse practitioner, they took x-rays and everything I had been doing to control my over-pronation had worked great. My tibia and femur were level. YAY! so I got a steroid shot and was to give her a call in 4 weeks IF my knee did not feel much better. Well, it did feel great and then I did a lateral move and the same snap occurred followed by severe pain. I called back and requested an MRI. Had to wait 3 days, I got the MRI and within 1 hour of the MRI the surgeons office was calling to set up an appointment to meet with the surgeon. I had outpatient surgery that Friday, was to stay off my leg for 24 hours, then I was able to take the dressing off and was WBAT after that.

My only restrictions are Low impact exercise, and Absolutely no running. He met with DH directly after surgery to find out what I had been doing to tear my knee up that badly. Ummm, simple- I didn't get that first tear dealt with because I looked so healthy and could walk normal when it wasn't inflammed. I did my own rehab, I do the exercises with the patients anyway so it wasn't hard. I was released with no restrictions after my 6 week visit. I have days where my knees get achy- usually has to do with the weather. The surgeon said that would improve over the course of the year.

I am 47 so I think you will do fine and be able to do all that you want to . Good luck and Try not to worry!
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 09:56 AM  
SueT

PLS, thanks so much for your response. I really wish my surgery was scheduled for earlier than July 18th, but that was the surgeon's first opening. My left knee, which is supposed to be my good knee, is starting to show signs of strain, I guess from almost 3 months of favoring my right side. And waiting around for the surgery, especially knowing that one wrong move could lock my knee up again, is driving me a little crazy!

I'm also having a lot of problems with my 19-year-old cat, who looks like she's going to have to be euthanized, and I feel absolutely terrible about that. She looks so unhappy and in pain, so I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow to discuss what we should do. Thank God my husband is coming with me, because I really don't want to deal with that on my own right now.

I'm not used to feeling so emotionally vulnerable, but it's just the combination of things going on in my life right now. I'm usually the person in the family everyone comes to for advice and calming down, and I feel I'm the one who needs that right now!

Thanks again, everyone, for all your encouragement. It really has helped a lot!

Sue
Old 06-30-14, 10:53 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

(((Sue))) - Sending you hugs! You have a lot on your plate right now! I can so empathize about your kitty. We had two dogs that we had to euthanize two years apart, the last one two years ago. It's such a hard decision because they are like members of the family. I tried to focus on what was best for them and that I didn't want them to suffer. I also tried to focus on all the joy they brought us and the wonderful memories we have. And give yourself permission to cry, it's a big loss.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 12:36 PM  
Debbir

Running after Meniscus surgery

I am curious if any of you ran/jogged after your surgery. I have had different docs tell me different things-I would really like to run again-if only on my treadmill-I miss it so much.

I had a lateral meniscus tear repaired by arthroscopic surgery in DEcember 2012 and healed really fast.

One of the docs told me no walking or running-my surgeon said that's nonsense. So I have been power walking along with Combat and Chalean extreme but really want to do the C25K program again-any comments?
Debbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 03:46 PM  
SueT

Debbir, I would listen to the doctor who did your surgery. He would know exactly what was done and what you should or should not do, I would think. I can understand a doctor telling you not to run, maybe, but not to walk? That's something we have to do every day!

I'm glad to hear you healed fast from the surgery, and you've been able to do most of your workouts. Maybe check with the surgeon who operated on you what his opinion is on you running again.

Sue
Old 06-30-14, 03:54 PM  
Debbir

Thanks Sue!
Debbir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meniscus, meniscus tear