Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-11, 06:15 PM  
Whimzee

Pull ups & Chin ups Anybody?

I keep reading how beneficial pull ups and chin ups are for you. Just went shopping to check out the free standing bars and found I couldn't even begin to lift my own weight.

How many of you women can do these? What other exercises can you do in place of these to strengthen the same body parts?

Thanks for the info -
Whimzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 06:37 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

This article has a lot of good info on how to build up to chinups and pullups. Personally I find doing negatives a good way to build up strength, but if you have gym access or a home machine, you may find lat pulldowns helpful. I would recommend starting with chinups first, as these recruit more biceps strength and are IMO easier (although still not easy) to do than pullups. It can take a lot of practice and patience to do these--so don't give up on them. I still can't do more than 1 or 2 reps per set, but hope to improve.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 06:46 PM  
CharM

I can do 3 pull ups (when I did them regularly, my max was 6) and 5-6 chinups (don't remember my max). These are not easy and I remember when I couldn't do one and had to use the chair in my first attempt at P90X. So yeah, I was excited when I realized I could do a few without any help.

I haven't done them since moving into this house because I had the door mounted ones in the apartment and don't wish to put a load on our door frames.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 07:00 PM  
bee1forfitness

Christmas I bought myself a assisted Chin Up Station. I have the GOFit Assisted Chin Up Station, I really like it is really hard for me to do pull-ups with my own body weight, but because I have that big rubber band to assist me. I can do a few admittedly even assisted it's hard, I believe Do a few every day I think consistency just might be the key, just keep working on them till you get strong enough, do a little each day whether it's one or two. Also some say negative and jump pulls help you to be able to do pull ups
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 07:41 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Bee1forfitness, I think you just enabled me. Thanks!
Free shipping through Jan. 31.
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 09:06 PM  
cathgpo
VF Supporter

I just bought Cathe's tower to do supine pull-ups. I am SO far from being able to do normal pull-ups, but by adjusting my feet placement and bar height I can make supine pull-ups a little easier or harder. I'd really love someday to be able to do a pull-up, but I honestly think that it might not be possible for me. My dad who is in great shape, very lean, and has always been very physically active could never squeak out more than 1 just because of his upper body anatomy. I'm not quite lean, don't do physical labor each day, and I've got his same upper body. So, it's a hope, but I'm not putting money on it.

cathgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 09:28 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I'm planning on doing some on this this year. Husband bought the chin up bar for me and I'm going to get the assistance bands for help. I don't want to use the chair, even though I known you can use this.

I figured if we both get the bands we can both use it. The bands will also help me with assisted dips.

To answer, I've not done one yet. Because he's not put up the bar and I don't have the band I want.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 10:42 PM  
Kyra

I do pulls or chins at least every other workout, and sometimes in between (I leave a pull up bar up all the time, so I do a few nearly every day just because it's there). I can do several of either unassisted but for longer sets use bands. It took time and patience to use less band/do more free hanging - and I'm still building up! I want to need to add weight at some point! - so I'd say take whatever assistance you need, and just keep at it. IMO pulls are tremendous all around UB exercises - they're worth doing even if you do need an assist.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 03:35 AM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayB View Post
Bee1forfitness, I think you just enabled me. Thanks!
Free shipping through Jan. 31.
You're welcome KayB
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 09:05 AM  
counterclockwise

Yes! I have only worked up to 1 chinup so far, and I haven't been practicing to improve, but pink_fortitude's method worked for me! Check this out:

Building Strength for Pullups
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chin ups, pull ups, pull-ups