Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 05-21-16, 11:09 AM  
wookiemouse

Moving to kettlebells from DBs - would this be a good start?

So I'm deciding to transition over from traditional dumbbell strength workouts into some metabolic kettlebell workouts to decrease the "fluff" I've gotten from 3 rounds of STS. I've read a ton of posts on here and on other websites, but I'm still not sure what range I should be getting for my fitness ability. In STS, I was lifting pretty heavy by the end - 30# on chest flys, #25 on curls, #67.5 on one arm rows. But most of the kettlebell workouts I'm looking to do are metabolic. Faster moves with many reps (I have a few Lauren Brooks DVDs, as well as the Scorcher series). I don't want to go too light obviously, but I also don't want to injure myself with going too heavy. My current thought is to get an 18 lb, 26 lb and maybe a 35lb. Does this range sound reasonable, or would you suggest other options?

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 12:09 PM  
LizEMA

I think you should move this to the GD board. Since you're just asking about poundage and non-specifics about kettlebells, I think it would be more appropriate over there. Plus, you'll get a lot more reads, and, consequently, more responses.

That being said, my .02, for whatever it's worth is, I was thinking exactly the poundage you were thinking -- 18-20lbs (may even be a little light for you), 25-26lbs, and a 30 or 35lber. I would also invest in a much heavier bell for swings, 50lbs or so. I've never done Lauren Brooks, but I've done other metabolic kb and kb-inspired workouts. I always use a much heavier bell for swings both during the workouts, and, just 'cause I like swings so much, as add-ons after other workouts.

I can't lift nearly as heavy as you can so take my advice knowing that but, for me, halving (the average of) my standard weightlifting poundage for hour long, fairly fast moving metabolic kb workouts is a good rule of thumb. If the workouts you have move slower or are shorter, you may be able to go higher than that, 55-70% of your standard lifting poundage, say?
Old 05-21-16, 04:00 PM  
wookiemouse

Thanks Liz - I will do that!

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-16, 02:19 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I might be too late, but after reading your post, I would start with a 26 lb kettlebell, which is the recommended starting weight for most women.

You will find that you will gain strength very quickly and the 26 lb. KB will become your light weight. So starting with a 26, and then maybe a 30 lb., and then a 35 lb., etc. would be good choices.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote