Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-27-14, 12:40 PM  
pumptmuscle

Sliding floor pull up variation using kettlebells (or more) for those on carpet

I just finished reading sbh's post about BJ Gaddour's pull up variation on the floor. I wanted to try it but I'm on carpet so I put gliding discs under me and gave it a try but couldn't budge at all. I decided to try laying down 2 heavy kettlebells and using them to pull my body forward. That still didn't work but it gave me an excellent idea...pull the kettlebells towards you. I used my heaviest which are 70 and 62. It worked great! I'll be working out later so I didn't want to do too much but I did it 4 times and really felt it in my back after. Like BJ's version, it's basically like doing a pull up (or lat pull down) horizontally. You pull the weights in, then push them back out. What makes this better tho is that the resistance used can be varied since weights are used. Someone could increase resistance over time to build strength for a regular pull up.

What makes it even better is you can use other equipment, too. Anything you can pull along the floor then push away will work. If friction is too much of an issue, something could be put underneath the equipment, like a plastic shopping bag. This could probably be used with dumbbells, sandbags, barbells, etc. Equipment could also be put in a bag or tied together to increase weight. Sets could also be pyramided up or down by adjusting the resistance.

The only things to keep an eye on are the possible effects of friction on the equipment and also buckling of the carpet as the equipment moves. It might be best not to do this in the exact area where you mainly work out but another area of carpeting close by, maybe something near a corner.

Later on today is strength so I'm definitely going to try this out. Of course a big thanks to sbh for posting. Oh btw, here's the original article link of BJ's from her post for reference:

http://www.menshealth.com/deltafit/m...llupPowerhouse

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 04:07 PM  
PrairieGem

What a smart idea!!

Looks around house for 60-70lb weighted objects and spots sleeping dog. Hmm....
Old 06-27-14, 04:20 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Great idea! thank you
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: completed BUILD; doing FUSION and CONDITION
ManFlowYoga: Beginner's FUNdamentals (completed Rnd 1; starting Rnd 2)
YogaGlo: Beginner's Path - Light (Rnd 2); completed Vinyasa Flow 101
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 04:40 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

That's a really interesting substitute, will have to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Looks around house for 60-70lb weighted objects and spots sleeping dog. Hmm....
My Pilates teacher says his chaturanga is getting really good since one of his cats likes to claim the center of his yoga mat, and all poses must be done to accommodate the comfort and space requirements of the cat.
Old 06-27-14, 05:25 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
I just finished reading sbh's post about BJ Gaddour's pull up variation on the floor. I wanted to try it but I'm on carpet so I put gliding discs under me and gave it a try but couldn't budge at all. I decided to try laying down 2 heavy kettlebells and using them to pull my body forward. That still didn't work but it gave me an excellent idea...pull the kettlebells towards you. I used my heaviest which are 70 and 62. It worked great! I'll be working out later so I didn't want to do too much but I did it 4 times and really felt it in my back after. Like BJ's version, it's basically like doing a pull up (or lat pull down) horizontally. You pull the weights in, then push them back out. What makes this better tho is that the resistance used can be varied since weights are used. Someone could increase resistance over time to build strength for a regular pull up.

What makes it even better is you can use other equipment, too. Anything you can pull along the floor then push away will work. If friction is too much of an issue, something could be put underneath the equipment, like a plastic shopping bag. This could probably be used with dumbbells, sandbags, barbells, etc. Equipment could also be put in a bag or tied together to increase weight. Sets could also be pyramided up or down by adjusting the resistance.

The only things to keep an eye on are the possible effects of friction on the equipment and also buckling of the carpet as the equipment moves. It might be best not to do this in the exact area where you mainly work out but another area of carpeting close by, maybe something near a corner.

Later on today is strength so I'm definitely going to try this out. Of course a big thanks to sbh for posting. Oh btw, here's the original article link of BJ's from her post for reference:

http://www.menshealth.com/deltafit/m...llupPowerhouse

Thanks for the great idea.

I just thought that if I wanted to try it like BJ, but carpet was a problem I could purchase a transfer sliding sheet (a manual handling patient sheet) and place it under me whilst I move on the carpet. You fold them in two, and the top part slides against the bottom part. Just an idea.

The sheets look like this.

http://photos.tradeholding.com/attac..._handles_1.jpg

Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-14, 09:06 PM  
pumptmuscle

Welcome all and great idea Calistro! That could be excellent for sandbags cause I think the friction and surface area could make it too tough to pull otherwise.

Ok update, I worked out before and had the chance to test it out during an actual workout. One thing about kettlebells is that, since they're round, there's a small surface area actually in contact with the carpet. While it was a great exercise, I definitely wasn't pulling in 132 pounds (70 + 62). Of course, gravity also causes weight to focus downward as well, reducing the full poundage pulled.

I'm gonna try out sandbags next time to see how they do. I'll use plastic bags underneath to help with friction. If it doesn't work out, I'll look into the sheets Calistro mentioned. I've never been able to do a full pull up (oh the joys of being a pear) but hopefully, playing around with this concept may finally make it happen.

** 50 time marathoner
Old 06-27-14, 09:07 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
That's a really interesting substitute, will have to try it.

My Pilates teacher says his chaturanga is getting really good since one of his cats likes to claim the center of his yoga mat, and all poses must be done to accommodate the comfort and space requirements of the cat.
bwahahahahaha!!!!!!

pets are so...helpful

and this is a great idea
thanks!
Old 06-28-14, 09:34 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Bob, another option that I do is done in a plank position. I set a heavy kettlebell off to the side and I drag it under my body to the opposite side. It's another great way to work not only your lats, but your entire body.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 10:00 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

During the summer I go to a nearby park and pull myself up on the low metal bars on some of the playground equipment for a half pull up. This doesn't work during the winter, so I will try this pulling forward option then. Don't have real heavy weights or kettlebells so won't be doing that option.
Old 06-30-14, 10:21 AM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Bob, another option that I do is done in a plank position. I set a heavy kettlebell off to the side and I drag it under my body to the opposite side. It's another great way to work not only your lats, but your entire body.
Oh that's right. Ilaria does this in one of the Atleticas. A great back and core exercise.

** 50 time marathoner

Tags
pull ups, pull-ups