Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-24, 10:33 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, I definitely liked DT V much better that DT IV. I admit that the last 3 books blurred together a bit, but I did enjoy them all.

I picked out my next book, The Things They Carried. Haven't started yet; I wanted to move away from family drama-type books, at least temporarily.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-24, 01:14 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I finished The Midwife's Confession and really liked it. Does anyone have any other books to recommend by Diane Chamberlain?
The Dream Daughter is really good. It has a bit of time travel involved which I always find fascinating.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 07:49 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Just finished

The Quiet Tenant (Clemence Michallon)

And although it was DEFINITELY not my normal type read, I did enjoy it (and went through it quite quickly for me). I thought about stopping a couple of chapters in and then decided to continue. Glad I did. My one complaint: I wish the ending were a little longer or went into a little more detail.

Once again, I went with recommendations from here and they don't disappoint. Thank you all for mentioning your likes and dislikes. (Seems similar to workout dvds, only reading! I guess that's what it's supposed to be.)

I got 3 more out of the library. I was worried about the limit of books. I had 5 out and made sure to return The Maid (bringing it down to 4). I said to the library person: What is the limit on books? And she smiled and said, "50 items at one time." I said, '50?? 5-0?" and she said YES!. So I suppose I was being overly concerned with 5. LOL

I know I've mentioned before, the library is out of the way for me, but now that I am retired, it's an "outing" for me. (Did I mention there's a Pokemon Gym there as well? )They are quick to get the books from other branches and it's great!

I got out the sequel to the Maid, (The Mystery Guest) which I am reading now. And after reading the thread, was able to get "The Crazyladies of Pearl Street" and "The Frozen River". Keep those suggestions coming.

Cleda

PS ... I have totally adjusted to "Molly the Maid"'s personality. I'm in chapter 3 and Molly is just .... Molly.
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 01:53 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I finished The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger a few weeks ago, and I have to say that it was one of the best, if not the best, book I read in 2023. A close second - although a completely different kind of book - was Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers by Jesse Q Sutanto. It was just charming.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 01:58 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I finished The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger a few weeks ago, and I have to say that it was one of the best, if not the best, book I read in 2023.

Carol
I love his writing. I haven't read this one yet, but it's on my TBR list (my very very long TBR list...). Maybe I need to order it from the library today.

I'm reading The Death of a Jaybird: Essays on Mothers and Daughters and the Things They Leave Behind.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 02:00 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post

I got 3 more out of the library. I was worried about the limit of books. I had 5 out and made sure to return The Maid (bringing it down to 4). I said to the library person: What is the limit on books? And she smiled and said, "50 items at one time." I said, '50?? 5-0?" and she said YES!. So I suppose I was being overly concerned with 5. LOL
This made me laugh. I think our limit is 75, but the librarians can override so you can get even more. When I was a child, our library had a limit of 5 for children and 7 for adults I think and I always needed more than 5 so I'd have my mother check some out for me on her card.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 07:06 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
This made me laugh. I think our limit is 75, but the librarians can override so you can get even more. When I was a child, our library had a limit of 5 for children and 7 for adults I think and I always needed more than 5 so I'd have my mother check some out for me on her card.
LOL - I think my library system has a 3-5 limit on DVDs, but I'm not sure about books. I've definitely had at least 5 at a time!

Erica, did you like The Maid? The sequel was my first book of this year.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 04:43 PM  
carly

To anyone who enjoyed The Maid, I recommend The Maid's Diary by Loreth Anne White. More of a psychological suspense thriller. Very good quick read.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 04:52 PM  
carly

Cleda, my library system allows 30 books per card. Check out length is 14 days for new popular books and 30 days for older books. Books can be renewed up to 2 times if no one else has a hold on the book. I have had older books in my house for as long as 90 days plus - which is convenient for non-fiction, reference or cookbooks.

I too enjoy library visits as an outing. I get a free "shopper's" high without spending any money other than gas. Plus with library books there is no guilt in Joni-O ing a book.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 06:06 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I finished The River We Remember by William Kent Krueger a few weeks ago, and I have to say that it was one of the best, if not the best, book I read in 2023.
I just started reading this today!

I finished Hello Beautiful by Ann Napolitano yesterday. Wow, wow, wow! I had forgotten how much I love the way she tells stories!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, off topic, off-topic, reading, winter reading