Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-05, 09:30 AM  
dixie

I hadn't thought of it that way Nelly but it does make a lot of sense.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 10:07 AM  
pedmom

I agree. While it is sad to me to think that I won't see Pam in any more workouts, I think it is a conflict and can't blame them for letting her go. I'll miss her!
pedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 10:10 AM  
Sophie

I thought about the Firm-Gaiam connection before, but to tell the truth, since Gaiam produces a wide variety of videos with yoga/pilates instructors from a number of different organizations and studios, I'm wondering why they didn't see Pam as a further marketing opportunity.

recognized fitness face + diversified yoga experience =>more "traditional" fitness/bodymind crossover. sell! sell! sell!

A friend pointed out to me much earlier that there was a great likelihood of a non-conflict clause in her contract. That seems like the most reasonable explanation to me. But I would have thought that the Gaiam/Firm conjunction would have been beneficial to Pam's increased involvement in yoga.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 12:05 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Maybe we should shower Gaiam with a bunch of letters asking for Pam to lead a yoga workout. They might reconsider if they realize she has a base of fan support.
Old 12-19-05, 12:55 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K
Allie had her breast enhancement many years ago, long before she gained weight, sometime between 1995 and 1998. It was there in Fat Blaster.
Shows how much I pay attention. I don't care for Allie, so I don't buy the workouts with her in the lead.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 01:21 PM  
lalavanb

I wonder if the club management is the same as the video management?

If so, it makes a lot more sense that they would have a non-compete clause in her contract, or exercise such a decision in regards to her teaching.
lalavanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 07:48 PM  
nycrican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie
I thought about the Firm-Gaiam connection before, but to tell the truth, since Gaiam produces a wide variety of videos with yoga/pilates instructors from a number of different organizations and studios, I'm wondering why they didn't see Pam as a further marketing opportunity.

recognized fitness face + diversified yoga experience =>more "traditional" fitness/bodymind crossover. sell! sell! sell!

A friend pointed out to me much earlier that there was a great likelihood of a non-conflict clause in her contract. That seems like the most reasonable explanation to me. But I would have thought that the Gaiam/Firm conjunction would have been beneficial to Pam's increased involvement in yoga.
Hi Sophie:

On the day that Gaiam bought out the Firm, Pam had just returned from a Yoga conference and she posted about how much she had learned. I immeadiately posted back, that it was so uncanny that she was getting an education in Yoga right now because I thought that she would probably fit into Gaiam future plans perfectely. She never posted a response to my comment.

I guess Pam would have been a real asset to Gaiam but I guess her dream was to open up her own Yoga studio.

Nelly from the Block
nycrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 09:05 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycrican
I guess Pam would have been a real asset to Gaiam but I guess her dream was to open up her own Yoga studio.
It's nice she was able to fulfill her dream.

I'm just sayin - if we're speculating, I think a non-conflict clause is the more likely a reason for her parting with the Firm than the Gaiam takeover.

I just don't see why Gaiam would give a rip about her having her own studio, since their big faces - Rodney, Patricia Walden, Natasha Rizopalous, John Friend (way back when) have their own studios and have all been produced by Gaiam (albeit under other names - Yoga Journal, Living Arts, etc, at the time).

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 06:14 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie

I'm just sayin - if we're speculating, I think a non-conflict clause is the more likely a reason for her parting with the Firm than the Gaiam takeover.

I just don't see why Gaiam would give a rip about her having her own studio, since their big faces - Rodney, Patricia Walden, Natasha Rizopalous, John Friend (way back when) have their own studios and have all been produced by Gaiam (albeit under other names - Yoga Journal, Living Arts, etc, at the time).
That was my thought too Sophie. Judging from past history Gaiam wouldn't care about her having her own studio.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 11:20 AM  
nycrican

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
That was my thought too Sophie. Judging from past history Gaiam wouldn't care about her having her own studio.
Hi Sophie and Sharon:

I think they may be a little worried since the Firm forum has about 41,000 registered users and they are usually very loyal in following Firm Instructors from one gym to the other and from one video workout to another.

They may fear that Pam will start making up her own Yoga workouts which will then compete with their Yoga workouts. So, therefore keeping Pam on their payroll would create a real conflict of interest.

Nelly from the Block
nycrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm instructors, pam cauthen meriwether, stacey milner-collins