Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-22, 09:48 AM  
darbyndoug

Favorite workouts with NO squats/lunges?

Any recommendations, either cardio, strength, mat, etc??

Thanks!
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 09:30 AM  
bubbles76

Oh Linda of Barlates and Margaret Richard come to mind. I believe there are some Tonique mat workouts without squats and lunges either. My knee has been hurting for several months, so much that I've had to avoid squats and lunges. Or at least very many of them, and always unweighted if I do. I'll see if I can come up specific workouts that I've used
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 09:58 AM  
buffmama

Growingannanas and Heather Robertson have some cardio labeled no squats/lunges.
Old 07-10-22, 10:32 AM  
kat999

There's either no or limited squats and lunges in Leslie walking workouts, and for those that have them it's short and you can very easily swap in a different move or just keep walking.
Old 07-10-22, 11:42 AM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyndoug View Post
Any recommendations, either cardio, strength, mat, etc??

Thanks!
Winsor Pilates Buns & Thighs workout. Great lower body workout - all floor work. Similarly, the Ballet Beautiful workouts include no squats or lunges (at least all the floor workouts. Standing workouts do likely include plies, which are basically squats). Tracy Anderson mat workouts.
Old 07-10-22, 01:13 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Oh Linda of Barlates and Margaret Richard come to mind. I believe there are some Tonique mat workouts without squats and lunges either. My knee has been hurting for several months, so much that I've had to avoid squats and lunges. Or at least very many of them, and always unweighted if I do. I'll see if I can come up specific workouts that I've used
One of my knees has been bugging me as well, had Xrays and they are fine but the doctor thought it could be the start of arthritis.

I like Cathe's To the Mat Legs and Glutes from the ICE series. I also like Margaret Richard, and some pilates for floorwork. Really like Move with Nicole on YT which I discovered a few months ago.

I would also add Heather Robertson has some good booty band workouts, as does Caroline Girvan, I do think that some of Caroline's are a bit repetitive though.

I can do squats but not sure if I should do an excess of them anymore, lunges are hard, as I have lost some strength and range of motion. I have also been dealing with hip issues as well for the past several months.

So for me it's more floor work than standing and it might be that way going forward because I don't want to make the issues worse. I would like to get back to doing some squats and lunges but in small doses.

Good question.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 02:26 PM  
alisoncooks

Jessica Smith has several YouTube workouts that are labeled “no squats” or “lunge free” or “lower body for bad knees.”

I tend to stick with slide lying floor work, deadlifts and glute bridges. I have to be mindful of my back, as well, so sometimes deadlifts aren’t even good.

Here’s my lower body YouTube playlist.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...AgrTVB6DEXQZ8i
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 06:52 PM  
darbyndoug

Thank you so much for the replies!
Will check out all the recommendations.
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 07:36 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
One of my knees has been bugging me as well, had Xrays and they are fine but the doctor thought it could be the start of arthritis.
I had Xrays and an MRI done. Medial meniscus tear, bad arthritis in the knee. I've been in PT for 3 weeks. They have me doing squats among other exercises, ugh!

Some workouts that worked for me:
  • Tone and Tighten with Michelle Abbruzzesse - this has some plies, but it was still doable for me.
  • Barlates Stamina 50 Reps - I did the Glutes, Inner Thighs, and Outer Thighs.
  • Barlates Fusion Mat
  • Barlates Traditional Mat
  • Barlates Mat Sculpt and Burn - only used the Grace and Strenth and Mat Intervals workouts
  • Margaret Richard Getting Better
  • Margaret Richard Home Improvement
  • Tracey Anderson Mat Workout
  • Tonique Mat
  • Margaret Richard Good for You
  • Margaret Richard Good N Strong
  • Margaret Richard Triple Threat
  • Margaret Richard Body Electric Workout
  • Margaret Richard Forty & Fabulous
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-22, 08:53 PM  
bfit

I agree with the Leslie Sansone recommendations for cardio. Just about any of the "walking" workouts would be OK too. For toning there's the old original Buns of Steel with Greg Smithey. It is mostly lower body floor work. There's also the old Karen Voight Great Weighted Workout that has good lower body floor work.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floorwork, lunge-free, no lunges, no squats, squat-free, to the mat, triple threat