Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-17, 05:01 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Slightly OT - Hot flashes and calorie burn

I post this, halfway tongue-in-cheek, halfway seriously.

Do you suppose you burn calories during a hot flash? I am entering that wonderful period in a woman's life (NOT) and have some dang wicked power surges!
I mean I can totally sweat through a shirt without even moving! Often more than working out!

I hope I am burning off some calories at the same time.

Whattya think?

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 05:21 PM  
TinaT

Oh my... what a great question. I've been in this season for a couple of years now. Oh how I wish this were true. I would be at my target weight. I've been sweating buckets for sure.

I'm not really sure it does anything to my HR or metabolism. In fact, I have found it to be a bit harder to lose. On a side note: I cut out most sugar and my hot flashes have lessened and are not as frequent. Just a thought.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 05:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

in my case, no.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 05:59 PM  
Demeris

In my case, no. I still have hot flashes, but nothing like the year before cessation of menses. That year, I could have kept the whole state of Arizona lit up with the non stop power surges rocketing from inside and out. But it did NOTHING for calorie burn.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 06:49 PM  
gjv

Can I piggyback this with another question? I've had straight hair my whole life. Last week, my hairdresser of many years was freaking out about how my hair was curly! She said menopausal hormones can do this. Anyone experience a change in hair texture?
Old 03-20-17, 07:51 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjv View Post
Can i piggyback this with another question? I've had straight hair my whole life. Last week, my hairdresser of many years was freaking out about how my hair was curly! She said menopausal hormones can do this. Anyone experience a change in hair texture?
I have gone through different phases of this. Back in 2011 I had my first experience with it. The change literally took place between hair appointments, which is every month. The curl was from scalp out. I was also having thyroid issues at the time. My TOMs have gotten farther apart (last one in the beginning of December) since then and my hair has gotten straighter, again.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 08:24 PM  
momofcha

Interesting question. Not for me and my hair got curvier after each pregnancy but I haven't noticed it getting any straighter

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 11:11 PM  
BunnyHop

I think if hot flashes burned extra calories, some crook would dream up a way to turn it in to a diet plan.
Old 03-21-17, 06:19 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjv View Post
Can i piggyback this with another question? I've had straight hair my whole life. Last week, my hairdresser of many years was freaking out about how my hair was curly! She said menopausal hormones can do this. Anyone experience a change in hair texture?
This is me exactly. Always straight hair and now wavy/curly in the last 3 years or so. That was my first symptom of peri. My periods were normal at the time but now they are sporadic and I have hot flashes and all that good stuff as well.

I've had to totally change my haircut, styling habits, and products I use. I kind of like it, but it has been very odd! People say to me "I didn't know you had curly hair!" and I say "well, I didn't!" lol

As far as the original question, I don't know about calorie burn but I do think hot flashes cause my hair and nails to grow faster. Has anyone else noticed that?
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 06:31 AM  
gjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I have gone through different phases of this. Back in 2011 I had my first experience with it. The change literally took place between hair appointments, which is every month. The curl was from scalp out. I was also having thyroid issues at the time. My TOMs have gotten farther apart (last one in the beginning of December) since then and my hair has gotten straighter, again.
Interesting. That's exactly what my hairdresser said, from the scalp out. I hope mine stays. I've always wanted curls!