Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-12, 11:39 AM  
Irish Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Reviews? It just shipped.
Here's one of the reviews I was reading:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...ious-upgrades/

Thanks for all the feedback I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Ultra.
Irish Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 01:37 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Here's one of the reviews I was reading:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...ious-upgrades/

Thanks for all the feedback I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Ultra.
Goodness, I didn't even understand half of that! Do you have to have bluetooth to use a fitbit?
Old 11-17-12, 02:12 PM  
Hilary

Well, I just got my new Fitbit One yesterday and it didn't work on my iPad 3 app. I didn't have enough time to fool around with it, so I just registered it with my laptop. It *seems* like it's an either/or proposition as well. I was hoping I could use both of them to sync my data, but I'm not sure you can. Also, it keeps telling me that my Fitbit "dongle" is unplugged from the computer, even when it isn't. Hopefully they're going to address these issues with new software updates. Right now, I haven't had time to look into any possible solutions. The device itself seems well-designed. I used the old Fitbit and my clip was cracking. This one has the Fitbit itself as a separate item which fits snugly into a rubberized case with clip. The rubber is less slippery and if the clip ever breaks at least you don't have to replace the Fitbit itself. A few years ago my Fitbit slipped off while I was bagging leaves and I finally located it when I took my laptop outside to search for it (using the automatic sync feature), so I know how easy it is to lose these little things if they work themselves off your waistband. I don't think this is going to be a problem with the One, although I'm also putting it on my bra for extra safety.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 03:28 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
I used the old Fitbit and my clip was cracking. This one has the Fitbit itself as a separate item which fits snugly into a rubberized case with clip. The rubber is less slippery and if the clip ever breaks at least you don't have to replace the Fitbit itself..
I have a fitbit ultra, and it slides in and out of a plastic holder that clips onto wherever you wear it; I put mine on my bra, too.
At night, I slide it out of the clip and put it in the material cuff and wear it on my L wrist to monitor my sleep.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 05:44 PM  
jerebo

Well, I don't have either one so perhaps my input is out of place. I was too impatient to wait for the fitbit one, and didn't want to get the older model with only weeks to go before the one was introduced, so I bought a fitbit zip. While it doesn't track stairs (which would really be nice) or sleep (which I think I'm less interested in), I've found it terrific. It clips very securely on to my clothes. It's tiny, and I've yet to have any trouble with it syncing. Admittedly, I have an Android phone, rather than an iphone, so I haven't tried to use a mobile device--just my laptop.

It's about $30 cheaper than either the ultra or the one...
Old 11-18-12, 02:04 PM  
slysam

I don't have the One, I have the Ultra. But I am not sure I believe the con on the review stating the One can only be synched on an ios device. I was under the impression from discussions on the forum it can only be synched with ios for the bluetooth sync, but the usb will sync to the computer. I am pretty sure there are users of the One that use their computers to sync and do not have a compatible smart phone (as only certain phones have the right type of bluetooth). I suspect the reviewer didn't try synching to the computer through the usb dongle. I wondered about the two dongle thing myself as it seems like an extra little thing that can get lost. And it is true that it doesn't sync through bluetooth with the computers that have the right kind of bluetooth--there has been some complaints of that on the fitbit forum though I would not be surprised if they change that in the future.

Oh, with my Ultra I don't need to use the phone app--I have it but rarely use it. I suspect with a one, if using the bluetooth sync, you probably do at least for that. But the website actually has more detailed information and I find it easier to use. I don't use fitbit for food logging though so for me there is really little I need the app for--I think it may be more useful to one users. It has been buggy in the past, but they do frequently update it. I just rarely use it so not sure at the moment.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 03:03 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Is there a chart indicating the differences between the Fitbit devices? I certainly need some motivation to get back to fitness. I figure with my bad knees that walking will be best.

Oy I'm not looking forward winter settling in and no place to walk but I'll have to find a way.

Anyway, the Fitbit sounds like something I would like to consider. And my Polar heart monitor went kaput a few months ago as well so maybe I should consider a monitor as well/instead?
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 03:19 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Ha - until yesterday I had no idea what a FitBit was! I did a little searching and found an article titled something like FitBit versus FitBit One. I can't tell you where I found it, but there was quite a bit of info out there.

Is FitBit now called FitBit Ultra? I did see something that said the Ultra is being discontinued.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 03:20 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Ha - until yesterday I had no idea what a FitBit was! I did a little searching and found an article titled something like FitBit versus FitBit One. I can't tell you where I found it, but there was quite a bit of info out there.

Is FitBit now called FitBit Ultra? I did see something that said the Ultra is being discontinued.
Oh! I better get checking then.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 06:56 PM  
hypnomoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyggles1 View Post
Well I am not sure about the Fitbit ONE but my Dog chewed up my fitbit Ultra and I've been a fitbit user since june of 2012 and I emailed them and they sent me out a new Ultra FREE!!!! I am so excited!
Fitbit ROCKS!!!!!
Why would you email Fitbit about your dog chewing up your ONE?
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitbit