Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-12, 10:53 PM  
Genevieve M

caveat emptor (let the buyer beware)

Hi,

I bought what I THOUGHT was a P90x workout on Ebay. Turns out that it is a p90x knock-off. Something called Supreme 90-day. I had punched in P90x into the Ebay search and this came up, because it was a 'p90x-style' workout.

Wrote back to the seller, who does not take returns and has a 100% rating. How could that be? I told her that regardless of her policy, she used misleading advertising and I wanted a refund.

Do you think I have a chance to get my money back? Even if this workout is good, I feel totally duped, and I think I paid more than it is being sold on-line.

Thanks for any insight you may have.
Old 04-19-12, 11:18 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

do you have a link to the original listing?
Old 04-19-12, 11:27 PM  
CharM

For some reason i thought saying something is "like [insert brand name here]" was not allowed? I see plenty of them, though. I don't think sellers should do it, but the S90 listings i just saw (with P90x in the title) all had descriptions and /or pictures of the workouts.

S90 is $7 at Ross. I hope you can get your money back.
Old 04-20-12, 08:15 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I buy all my stuff on Amazon nowadays, just because of incidences like this. eBay has gone downhill, imho.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Old 04-20-12, 11:07 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy T View Post
I buy all my stuff on Amazon nowadays, just because of incidences like this. eBay has gone downhill, imho.
me too!

buuuut.... Ebay has been improving.
you just have to read very very carefully.
and always check the ebay seller's feedback
Old 04-20-12, 11:10 AM  
Cammie-Cam

Was this the listing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AS-SEEN-TV-S...#ht_1694wt_905

If this is the one you're talking about, I don't find this misleading. The picture isn't of P90X it's a pic of Supreme 90 Day, so it's not like she's saying it's one thing and then selling you something else. Also in the listing she describes each workout, some have similar names to the P90X workouts but some don't. What she's banking on is that someone who doesn't know about Supreme 90 and how similar it is to P90X or who isn't very familiar with the names of the workouts in P90X, will think this is P90X and purchase. I'm sorry that this happened to you though. I would suggest in the future just research as much as you can before you buy anything on ebay. Ask the seller questions as well, I believe you can do that before you bid. If they don't answer then that means they may have something to hide.

Also, from what I've heard, Beachbody doesn't allow people to sell their workouts on ebay. I'm not sure why. So if you see a listing for something Beachbody sells it may very well be a counterfeit.
Old 04-20-12, 11:25 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Hi,

I bought what I THOUGHT was a P90x workout on Ebay. Turns out that it is a p90x knock-off. Something called Supreme 90-day. I had punched in P90x into the Ebay search and this came up, because it was a 'p90x-style' workout.

Wrote back to the seller, who does not take returns and has a 100% rating. How could that be? I told her that regardless of her policy, she used misleading advertising and I wanted a refund.

Do you think I have a chance to get my money back? Even if this workout is good, I feel totally duped, and I think I paid more than it is being sold on-line.

Thanks for any insight you may have.
I would say no. You have to read the discription VERY carefully. As long as the listing says what the item is, it's up to the buyer to read it! I know too many people that have bought something purely off the title of the listing instead of reading the details. The details are the most important thing for buyers and sellers and sellers cannot be held responsible if the buyer doesn't read it.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Old 04-20-12, 11:46 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I think it does totally depend on the listing. If they showed P90X on the listing, then yeah, I would at least ask about it and/or lodge a complaint.
If they showed S90, then I think it is on you.

And as far as Beachbody allowing anybody to sell an authentic product that they have legally purchased, I don't think they can dictate its future ownership, at least in theory.

In reality, Beachbody has been known make it unpleasant for dealers/e-bay sellers who do sell their stuff, taking an offensive standpoint of making the sellers prove they do have a legal right to sell the item.
I think they only scare the honest sellers because it seems to me e-bay is rife with the counterfeiters and it doesn't seem as if BB has had any luck stemming that unending tide of fakes.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
Old 04-20-12, 12:04 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

It depends on what the title and description were of the item. If the title said P90X, then it's misleading. If the photo showed P90X, then it's misleading. If the title said Supreme 90 and the photo showed Supreme 90, then it's not misleading. If the description said this is a 90 day, P90X-type workout, then it is unclear and could be misunderstood, but may not necessarily be grounds to get the buyer's money back.
Old 04-20-12, 12:12 PM  
sweatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie-Cam View Post
Selling for $63.95? That's an obscene price for this system.
Closed Thread

Tags
bootleg, ebay