Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-17, 12:42 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Amazon rant

Lord, how does Amazon keep taking over the world when they totally suck? You think when you click on same day delivery as a filter, you'd actually get the Prime things that qualify. No, you are supposed to spend hours searching, putting in your cart and then checking to see if it really does qualify.

And don't bother with their home services. It shows up available and they dont' follow through.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 01:41 PM  
antbuko

Even when something is listed as Prime, it does not necessarily mean that it will ship in two days time. I'm fed up with Amazon too, wish I wasn't so dependent on them.
Old 10-12-17, 01:46 PM  
rvagal

I think it's good for all the little guys and the local retailers for you to get fed up with Amazon now and again. It reminds you to try harder to buy things from places with better customer service and working conditions for their employees.

Amazon lost me when my P.O. started scanning things as delivered or delivery attempted when they were just too overwhelmed to make the delivery. If I can't count on it coming in 2 days, what is the point? Amazon needs to control their delivery as much as it controls everything else.

Now, of course, there are things I can't get any other way, but it's a reminder to try to get it elsewhere first.
Old 10-12-17, 02:13 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I love Amazon's convenience, but I think their shipping has gotten spottier as they expand. I have learned not to trust the two-day delivery banner when shopping for an item; I don't really know how long delivery will take until it's in the cart and I'm checking out. Even then, I've had a few too many "delivery exceptions" over the last six months to rely on my Prime two-day guaranteed delivery.

Having said that, I do get excellent use out of my Prime membership. One year it paid for itself when I had to find a pair of size 13 EEEEE sandals for my dad, who had severe post-surgical swelling in his legs, couldn't come close to fitting in any of his shoes, and was at risk of falling if he kept skidding around his house in socks. ONE DAY LATER, Amazon delivered the shoes to his house. I doubt I could have found that size or style of shoe at any store in his small city.
Old 10-12-17, 03:08 PM  
Indy

Yes, my husband tried to buy a prime item to find that it wouldn't ship out right away (even though it said it was shipped and sold from Amazon) and you'd still have to wait a week for it. How is that Prime? Don't label it Prime then.

Overall - I do think Amazon has exceptional customer service though. If something goes wrong and I want it fixed or compensated - I always say Amazon will make it right - and they always do. I love that I can get just about anything there and if I really want it in 2 days I can probably have it in 2 days.

My husband was trying on his suit for a wedding and needed 2 button extenders. We ordered them from Amazon and they came on time in 2 days. I thought, you know if I went out searching for button extenders in a brick & mortar store I wouldn't know where to go or where to look. What department would they be in???? It was nice that I didn't even have run around to find it.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 03:18 PM  
andtckrtoo

When I lived in the Bay Area Amazon always delivered as promised. I even got same day delivery sometimes. Now that I'm in the boonies, I think they are the whim of the delivery services. I'll get many things in 2 days, then something I'm counting on arrives in 5. I consider that an issue with living in the boonies.

The other thing to remember about Amazon - yes, they are huge, but they have a really unique system. You may be buying from Amazon, but most of their stuff is through other vendors. They actually do provide a good platform to sell things for the smaller business and a way to reach more people. Since moving here, I'm thrilled to have a way to get many of the things I can't get here.
Old 10-12-17, 09:23 PM  
Genevieve M

I have a friend who opened a business that does fulfillment for customers. In other words, if a certain company (or web site. mostly) was selling products, the company would contract my friend's company to actually warehouse the product, ship it, handle payments and returns.

When he heard that Amazon was doing same-day delivery, he was concerned, but knew that this premium service was also at a premium price. So it's interesting to hear of these experiences.

Jeff Bezos (Amazon's founder) is a big talker - I think he overpromises and underdelivers. Besides, as a American employed in the information technology sector, I don't like the guy; he says that American workers are 'lazy and unemployable'.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-17, 06:33 PM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Jeff Bezos (Amazon's founder) is a big talker - I think he overpromises and underdelivers. Besides, as a American employed in the information technology sector, I don't like the guy; he says that American workers are 'lazy and unemployable'.
Link please? I just think if accusations are stated, there should be links to show where the information is coming from.
Old 10-15-17, 07:17 PM  
Genevieve M

I'm not telling you the links publicly, because this would take this thread down a political road that is outside of the scope of this site. If you really want the info, PM me, and I'll send them to you.

Those of us who work in the IT and software engineering sector are well aware of how he runs his business and his hiring practices.

Now, please -let's get things back to at-home workouts!
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-17, 11:23 PM  
BunnyHop

I don't have Prime, I just force myself to wait til I have enough stuff gathered in my cart for it to qualify for free shipping. That means I have to be doubly patient, since once I order it also takes them forever to ship it out to me.

Cuts down somewhat on impulse orders, LOL!