Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-16, 09:25 AM  
Gardengirl

Hip Flexor Question

Last year there was too much rain and this year there is too much heat! Consequently, I've been working out indoors for the most part. My outdoor workouts consisted of mainly walking. My question is ... could my hip flexor be too tight now from doing primarily indoor workout like Jessica Smith? Not to single Jessica out, because I enjoy her workouts! I have started walking once again and just started a live yoga class twice a week, but I'm really thinking that walking is stretching out my tight hip flexor again.
Old 07-30-16, 09:52 AM  
Demeris

I don't have the answer to this. I no longer do Jessica's walks because they tweak my knees and back (both of which might be tied to my hip flexors).

I have several of Teresa Tapp's walking workouts, and she always instructs to straighten the leg fully.

I know that I don't pay attention to straightening the leg fully in my Leslie or Jane Fonda walking workouts. And I usually have to schedule a full body stretch the next day after either of these workouts.

I seem to remember paying attention to that when I do the Stott walking workouts--and I believe that was because of the instructor's cues. I also don't feel the urgency for a full body stretching workout after Stott or T-Tapp walking workouts.

I know I straighten my leg and pay attention to proper posture when I'm walking out doors.

So in a very long winded way, I haven't answered your question, but your question has raised a similar one in my mind. Now for the N=1 experiments.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 04:14 PM  
Betty Boop

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that Stott Pilates had a walking workout.
Old 07-30-16, 04:24 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I've never had problems with Jessica's DVDs, but doing Leslie walks (with all the knee lifts) would be a killer on my hip flexors.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 04:24 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I know that we've had these threads before regarding the unnatural movement of marching in place with indoor walking workouts. I did a season or two with Lesie and developed psoas pain. It seems to me that the marching up and down rather than propeling the body foward as in natural walking was discussed. The repetitive action of a bent hip and knee rather than stretching out the leg behind you and pushing forward could contribute to hip and lower back pain.

I've moved to walking outdoors for a few years now. I walk the dog even in the cold...my body needs the sunlight!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 05:32 PM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I know that we've had these threads before regarding the unnatural movement of marching in place with indoor walking workouts. I did a season or two with Lesie and developed psoas pain. It seems to me that the marching up and down rather than propeling the body foward as in natural walking was discussed. The repetitive action of a bent hip and knee rather than stretching out the leg behind you and pushing forward could contribute to hip and lower back pain.

I've moved to walking outdoors for a few years now. I walk the dog even in the cold...my body needs the sunlight!
I did a search after my post and it seems this has happened to many! I think it's probably just too much of one type of exercise and not getting the stretch that you get from walking outside. It makes sense, and I'm pretty sure that's exactly where I am.
Old 07-30-16, 05:35 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Yes, like everyone else, I've read about the problem of walking workout DVDs causing a tight psoas, and also experienced it myself. I've read about regular walking helping a tight psoas, just as you experienced, but that isn't my personal experience.

However I think for me, I have certain muscle imbalances that cause my tight psoas, which is aggravated in general by lots of things. My challenge is to stay on top of stretching and releasing my psoas while I work on my muscle imbalances.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-16, 06:09 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I rarely march in place while doing a Leslie workout, even if she is. I always try to move around, either a few steps forward and back, or even walking around in a big circle (or a figure eight to keep it balanced) Sometimes I throw in completely arbitrary move that has nothing to do with what's going on in the workout. I will do the big knee up moves because I feel I can work my abs a little as well by bringing my arms down hard in front and "braking" at about waist level.
Old 07-30-16, 09:04 PM  
Candiceena

I remember experiencing some weird pain when doing Leslie workouts, but I haven't had that same experience with Jessica's workouts. I will say, though, that I make an effort to not just march in place. I try to move in a circle or jog in little mini laps. It is possible to do this. My entire apt is only 524 sq ft, so I don't get many "laps" but I use the living room, kitchen, and dining area LOL. I am sure I look pretty hilarious but it might be helpful idea!
Old 07-31-16, 06:52 AM  
Gardengirl

I've never had a problem with Jessica or Leslie workouts before. In my case, I think it's a lack of cross training. Just too much of the same kind of exercise!

I did some stretching and CS yesterday and did some core work as suggested in an old link provided by Tinier Tina. http://deansomerset.com/side-plank-i...tion-answered/ That was a really interesting article. My core is a weak spot for me and I will be incorporating planks regularly now. Feeling better this morning. Shins are sore though! Note to self on lack of cross trainings!!!