Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-13, 08:12 AM  
Demeris

In praise of very easy workouts

This past week, my respiratory system starred in a Mucinex commercial. At first, I rested, hoping to bolster my immune system. When I began a slight recovery, I wanted to move a bit, but I didn't want to fling my health back into the slime, so I scoured my shelves for some ultra-light workouts.

Joel Harper and Mirabai Holland rode in to the rescue. I was able to move my body, do some light muscle work, and not stress my fragile system too badly. On the third day, I made it through a Stephanie Huckabee Powerfit cardio

Yesterday, I was able to make it through a t-tapp warm-up workout--53 minutes of stretching in perfect form. Today I added in 15 mins of Bernadette Giorgi to my Mirabai. Tomorrow, I will be ready to do a full workout.

While I monitored myself very carefully, I was grateful to have easy day, ultra light and short workouts to go, workouts whose intensity I could ramp up or ease off.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 08:16 AM  
buttons11

I'm so glad Demeris that you found a way to listen to your body and give it just what it needed.
Here Here for the faithful easy workouts
Oh...and glad u don't belong in a mucinex commercial any longer...
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 08:28 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

That's great Demeris!

I have to sing praises for easy workouts too. I noticed lately there have been a lot of days when I have been too sore or too tired to do one of the many advanced systems that I own. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and my recovery isn't what it used to be. Regardless, on those days I just need to move and I'm thankful I have easier workouts to reach for. They help get the blood pumping and ease some of the soreness, as well as take away the guilt of not doing anything at all.
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 09:07 AM  
donnamp

Hi -

I just am getting over a bad back pain flare up and I agree - having these "easier" workouts in our collections is invaluable. I'm focusing on really gentle restorative yoga (Barbara Benagh, Suzanne Deason) and gentle form-focused Pilates to recover. It helps me psychologically to be able to do *something* even when ill or injured.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 11:04 AM  
andtckrtoo

I've been enjoying yoga and some basic dance videos recovering from the same darned thing. Man, it's a killer.
Old 03-09-13, 11:13 AM  
princess76

That's smart of you. I've battled viruses off and on the last 18 months since my son started preschool, and I foolishly tossed out my "too easy" workouts awhile back...some days, lifting 5 lbs. is challenging!
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 11:19 AM  
seabliss

I had exactly the same experience! I caught a bad cold from my preschooler and had to stop my Supreme 90 rotation for almost two weeks. Yesterday I did two miles of Leslie's 4 Fast Miles and Winsor Buns and Thighs. It was perfect. There was no way I could have whipped through Tabata Inferno, but I hope to ramp up to that within the next couple of days!
Old 03-09-13, 11:47 AM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
This past week, my respiratory system starred in a Mucinex commercial. At first, I rested, hoping to bolster my immune system. When I began a slight recovery, I wanted to move a bit, but I didn't want to fling my health back into the slime, so I scoured my shelves for some ultra-light workouts.

Joel Harper and Mirabai Holland rode in to the rescue. I was able to move my body, do some light muscle work, and not stress my fragile system too badly. On the third day, I made it through a Stephanie Huckabee Powerfit cardio

Yesterday, I was able to make it through a t-tapp warm-up workout--53 minutes of stretching in perfect form. Today I added in 15 mins of Bernadette Giorgi to my Mirabai. Tomorrow, I will be ready to do a full workout.

While I monitored myself very carefully, I was grateful to have easy day, ultra light and short workouts to go, workouts whose intensity I could ramp up or ease off.
That is so smart of you to listen to your body while sick and to know how great it is to just move at a slower pace and feel like you have worked out to easier routines! These workouts serve a great purpose indeed!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 01:19 PM  
CHAPLYN61

This is why I will never get rid of my Powerfits or easier Leslie's. they will always have a place on my shelves be it due to illness or a recovery week.
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 01:51 PM  
SpiritSong

When I was getting back to exercise after my bad cold, I picked PowerFit too!