Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-27-22, 11:55 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Oh forgot to mention that my company is reducing its footprint in our office space so I have had to clear out 20 yrs. of "stuff" I have been doing it off and on for weeks. I am mostly done but of course I am going to end up bringing some stuff home. I was going through manuals from professional development courses that I literally never opened in years and still I felt that I shouldn't toss it. I had my administrative assistant scan them and put them on our network.
I still have some stuff to go through.
Because all of the paper sifting I have been doing at work I have no desire to do what needs to be done at my house. I have a file box of stuff I want to go through and hopefully will be able to purge a bunch of it.
I'm going through something similar - 23 years at the same university and I'm retiring in Dec. I moved my office 2 times recently and got rid of quite a bit each time but it's still amazing how much I have. It's mentally tiring and certainly makes it harder to tackle projects at home.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-22, 06:20 PM  
DCW

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery Mary!!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-22, 08:18 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Mary, I hope you are feeling better soon.
I haven't checked in for quite some time. A bunch of "stuff" removal since early May.
Our sweet loving elderly (17 years) dog went over the rainbow bridge on April 28. It was so hard letting her go and we miss her. Her landing spot for years was a sofa in the sunroom that we had for about 20 years. It was really ratty and smelly so we got ourselves a dumpster and tossed it and some of the other old furniture in that room. We also did a major clean out of our garage (so neat now) and some things from the basement went into the dumpster. Other stuff we tossed:
1) I drove 45 minutes to safely dispose of a bunch of fluorescent bulbs because I did not want to wait till the next collection in my town.
2) I gave my neighbor the party crock pot and wax melts and a warmer(was so hesitant to part with the crock pot but it was easy to give it to a friend. If I need it for a special occasion, I can always borrow it!
3) I gave a woman I work with a sled for her sons
4) I sold 2 stadium seats on FB marketplace
5)I put a cooler out at the curb and it disappeared.
6) Some clothing to the vets.
That is all I remember but I know there was more. Of course there is more to be done.
Impressive job rehoming/properly recycling all that stuff!
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-22, 01:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Nice job, everyone! You all inspire me to want to keep going!

Mary, I hope you feel better soon and fully recover from COVID. Good for you using the downtime productively!

I have to say I'm feeling pretty happy with myself. When I dropped of the big sack of clothes at the thrift store I really wanted to look through it again first but I stayed strong and didn't look.

Yesterday I got two big boxes (30 lbs total) of clothes from my cousin. My first thought was this isn't on my agenda for today, I'll find a place for the boxes and plan to do it "someday." Smarter me started talking so I changed my schedule and plans for the rest of the week and spent all afternoon trying on those clothes and tackling my closet. (Another big plus is that I did this while watching afternoon baseball, where I usually just sit and watch and pretend to be doing smthg! ) I kept one box worth of what she sent then filled her empty box with clothes I decided to get out of my closet and then I filled another bigger box with more! Most of it is sweaters so they are bulky but still. This is huge for me! Today I spent another hour(ish) and found more things to add to the box. A friend's daughter will go through and take what she wants and the rest I will take to the thrift store. She's also getting 3 pairs of boots and 2 pairs of sandals.

I'm also happy with myself for not giving into overwhelm and freezing up. There were several things today that I actually felt motivated to do as far as chores and workout. Normally I would choke bc I can't prioritize and make decisions so I do nothing. Linda is a big help to me in this area so thanks!

I may not get more chores done today but I'm going to workout after lunch digests and feel good knowing this time I have done enough that the changes are actually visible! Even hubby should notice!

ETA: We have a set of nonstick pots and pans we received as a wedding present that are no longer usable bc the nonstick stuff has come off. Any creative ideas of smthg to use them for, like crafty or smthg that isn't food so the nonstick doesn't matter? I hate throwing them away when they're good solid pots but I don't know how they could be repurposed.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-22, 02:52 PM  
Izzy

Thank you for the well wishes everyone. I am doing well. I don't sound good but I feel mostly human.

Good job Vannie on your accomplishment. And everyone else as well.

I continue to be working from home this week and I admit this is a struggle for me. I knew all along I could not be a work from home person. It's like I see dust, unfolded laundry or clutter and I want to tackle it. I have to force myself to sit here and ignore it. I did more decluttering yesterday when I was putting my dishes away. Some of those dishes went into the box. I suppose if I have to stay here another week my place will be cleared out.

Stay well.

Mary
Old 07-30-22, 05:30 AM  
DCW

Over the years, my job gave us a company polo shirt every year. I rarely wore them, mostly dress down Friday. Now working from home I wear them more, especially for Zoom meetings. I realize I have 15 company shirts. It's time to select my favorites and move on.

I never realized how many I had until I put them all in the same drawer.

Oh yea, we get another shirt in the fall.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-22, 12:44 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Mary - I'm glad you're feeling better.

lreidgreen - Sorry about your doggie!

Kudos to all who are hanging in there with the de-cluttering and organizing. I have slowed down quite a bit, but have shredded some old (wedding) photos.

Out with the old!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-22, 01:46 PM  
Vantreesta

I didn't read closely enough. I'm so sorry about your dog, Leslie! It's so heartbreaking to lose them, no matter how old they are. Sending you hugs.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-22, 02:25 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks for the condolences. We had her for so long it is just strange and lonely without her here. We will eventually get another dog but I am not ready yet. DH is bugging me about it-he wants one NOW. I just get my doggie fix by petting ones I see at the farmers market or on my walks.

Forgot to mention that at the same time of my basement/garage/sunroom cleanout in May I went through my clothing and boxed cool weather stuff up for a fall drop off at the thrift shop. I dropped off some warm weather stuff in June and a few more things on Friday. In June, I ended up buying 2 things when I was there but Friday I walked right by the rack with $1 shirts even though I saw one I really liked.

Earlier today I tossed a knitting bag that was falling apart and I am going through the rest of my knitting stuff later.
I am about to post some things on Share the Wealth once the calendar turns to August.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-22, 02:39 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Vannie, you made alot of progress. Kudos to you. Re: the pots and pans. I am not a very crafty person but if you take the handles off the pots maybe you can use them for plants. Not sure if the nonstick coating will affect the plants though. If you are crafty you can spray paint the outsides if they are not nice and also hand paint them with decorative patterns.

Oh I forgot to mention that the media rack I used for my workout DVDs is empty and awaiting donation. It kept tipping over and blocked the outlet I wanted access to. This morning I put the few DVDs stored there (maybe 20?) in a box and hauled the rack upstairs.

I just tried two of my dust bunny workouts and one of them is going to STW.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, organizing, organizing the home, relocating