Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-12, 09:34 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Question ? for jhsimpson (& anyone else) re: Group Rx DVDs

I'm interested in ordering some of the RIP workouts: http://www.powermusic.com/choreograp...up-rx/rip.html

Jhsimpson, I know you've commented on how much you like them. Since they're rather pricey, are there any that are your particular must-have favorites? I was already thinking of giving Vol 3 a pass since it's all upper body.

I welcome your opinions and suggestions. Thanks!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 10:28 AM  
horusosiris

I wish that I could purchase the DVDs without the music Cd or the choreography booklet.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 10:29 AM  
jhsimpson

Let me say that I first got hooked on the Les Mills Body Pump format when I had a Golds Gym membership. So that style of high rep with moderate to light weights was appealing to me. Up until Group RX, I was using YouTube and other places in the Internet to 'acquire' workouts that i could play on my laptop.

Caught the GroupRX format being features at the annual SCW expo held here in Big D towards the end of the summer. PowerMusic was running a deal - Purchase 4 get the 5th DVD for free. So for $160 bucks I got all five! Love the format and they are very similar to the LM BodyPump or Body Training Systems - Group Power format classes offered at the local gyms around town.

Love this product from POWER MUSIC. I also grabbed the BEACHBODY PUMP product (sans equipment). So I can workout on my schedule and with my wacky hours I keep for employment!

I noticed on the POWERMUSIC site they are running that same deal for $160 you get all 5 volumes. Yes, it may be pricey but I look at it in this perspective. I've chatted with the local BodyPump instructor at the Golds Gym I use to attend. At one time I thought about getting LM certified.

What I learned is to take the LM certification you have to 'affiliate' yourself with a gym to be sponsored. Then you have to attend a weekend training course offered by LM regional. That course averages $500 bucks. Then the gym you affiliate with may require another 'certification' like IDEA or AFAA (?) in order for you to teach. In addition to First Aid and CPR training/certification.

So just running the numbers that is roughly a 1K to 2K outlay before stepping into the Group X room. Then LM requires an instructor to purchase the quarterly release for the program at around 50 buck a pop ($200/y)

Then once a year each instructor has to attend a 'refresher' training put on by LM at an additional cost around $100-$200 for the weekend.

Yikes, I felt bad for the instructor friend and I know she travels from gym to gym and they are spread out from Downtown/Center of the City to the far suburbs that are 30-40 miles radius from the city center. Poor girl in her hand me down Honda was all over the D/FW area just to teach LM classes where I gathered she probably only made $100 buck for that 1 hour class.
jhsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 10:51 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Jhsimpson, I totally get what you're saying. I also feel that fewer, high-priced DVDs that you'll use multiple times are a far better value than a library full of cheaply-purchased but forgettable workouts.

That said, if one could only buy 2 or 3, which do you feel stand out the most?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
group rx, power music, power music group rx