Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-22, 05:13 PM  
prettyinpink

I will add that others I have heard talk about building serious muscle, not to mention experts in nutritional science in general, say that low carb is counterproductive for building muscle.

There sure are a variety of opinions out there, but I tend to discount anyone who recommends low carb for the general population in 2022. I hope that’s not veering too far into diet opinions.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-22, 08:52 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I will add that others I have heard talk about building serious muscle, not to mention experts in nutritional science in general, say that low carb is counterproductive for building muscle.

There sure are a variety of opinions out there, but I tend to discount anyone who recommends low carb for the general population in 2022. I hope that’s not veering too far into diet opinions.
I agree.
Old 09-28-22, 01:08 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:

I also agree. I'm a bit wary of advice from folks selling specific products or programs. I try to glean the important information (muscle is critical for continued health into old age) and take the rest with a grain of salt.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 01:24 PM  
warriorprincess

Another fascinating podcast if you're interested in the biochemistry of proteins. One of the best that I’ve ever listened to. Peter Attia interviewing Don Layman on "The Drive" podcast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmG2y4IeY8&t=1s

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-22, 02:30 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Another fascinating podcast if you're interested in the biochemistry of proteins. One of the best that I’ve ever listened to. Peter Attia interviewing Don Layman on "The Drive" podcast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmG2y4IeY8&t=1s
Thanks! Such an interesting topic!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-22, 01:15 PM  
warriorprincess

My favorite point in his interview is that as you age, your efficiency to use protein goes now, but not the capacity. They've shown that given enough protein, a 65 year old can do protein synthesis as well as a 16 year old. He's talking around 1.6 g per kg of bodyweight, which is a pretty standard recommendation for building muscle.

He worries about people on weight loss diets after 65, especially the one meal a day diet, since it often disproportionately loses muscle weight, which is very hard to get back.

He speaks of one theory of sarcopenia that it isn't a gradual decline but a series of acute events. If you are hurt and bedridden for a few weeks, you lose a huge amount of muscle that is hard to rebuild. In the same period of time, an older adult will lose 4x the muscle a younger adult would.

He feels strongly that breakfast should have the highest protein amount of the day.

He talks a lot about protein quality from different sources.

I really enjoyed it. I'm rather obsessed with trying to add muscle as mine seem to be disappearing, and I'm determined to figure out how to reverse that trend.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-22, 01:29 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
He speaks of one theory of sarcopenia that it isn't a gradual decline but a series of acute events. If you are hurt and bedridden for a few weeks, you lose a huge amount of muscle that is hard to rebuild. In the same period of time, an older adult will lose 4x the muscle a younger adult would.
I bet that it’s both/and.

But yeah, acute losses are scarier because often we have no control over these events. But it makes sense that it’s better to go into them as strong as we can be.

I heard at least one person talk about something similar recently. It might have been Dan John. It was about how we have to be more careful with our strength training as we get older, and be smarter about it, because injuries can take us out for longer, and then we lose strength faster. Our muscles may be able to handle things that our ligaments can’t.

Thanks for the link, I look forward to listening. That’s one benefit to doing most of my strength without a video: there are several extra hours a week I can fill with podcasts or audio books.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 02:46 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Our muscles may be able to handle things that our ligaments can’t.
This is sooo true for me. Way-back-when, I did a lot of mini-triathlons and 10K runs. A bunch of friends decided we would try to get into the New York Marathon. I was the only one who got in, so I felt I kinda had to do it "for us". It was fairly easy to ramp up my aerobic endurance. But what I learned -- the hard way -- that even though my muscles and lungs could quickly adapt, my ligaments and tendons did not adapt that quickly. I never ran again after that. My new saying is "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building muscle, creatine, muscle building, muscle mass, nutrition, protein, senior muscle