Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-21, 02:39 PM  
manleym

Nathalie I'm so sorry you struggle with insomnia. I had a dreadful bought of it years ago (thanks to perimenopause) and it was miserable. There were nights where I would get only get about 3 hours a night. 5 hours was a good night and I've always been an 8-10 hour kind of gal. I still struggle occasional but it's not an every night issue and I don't dread going to bed anymore, fearing just laying there for hours upon hours. Hope you find some relief soon.

Horusosiris I agree that Cathe Live 331- Lower Body Barre Blend could have had a longer stretch, so I added on Heather Roberston’s 10 Minute No Equipment Standing Abs workout and that helped. Also did a few stretches on my own. I liked Cathe's workout because it was different than her normal leg workouts. I guess this would be similar to Lean Legs? That's what I thought of as I was doing the workout. I noticed the technical issues too. They didn't last long but I thought it was my computer at first. Weird stuff going on. I liked Cathe's shirt that said, "“It’s Called Discipline...Get Some” I think we watched Dickensian or have it in our watch list. Sounds very familiar. And yep, Dickens wrote about real life, raw and hard stuff.

Kittybug we started Season 4 last night of Poldark. Where are you? Don't want to be a spoiler but that George... And my heart breaks for Morwena. Creepy vicar. And yes, do share you dancing history!

ChelePA ugh on the water heater! Glad the plumber was able to get out fairly quickly. I came home one afternoon, opened the garage door and water was DRIPPING from the garage door!! Not something you want to see!
Water was in the garage and I have to say, I was a little leary of opening the door to our house. We enter our house from the garage to our TV/workout room. There is a half bath in there too. The toilet bowl had cracked and all of that water leaked into our TV room, and out into the garage. We had carpet at the time, so we had to get the big fans, move all the stuff that was wet out of the garage....it was just a huge giant mess! So I'm glad your water was in the basement and fixed quickly.

Bee LOL!! Your husband's idea of "fun Friday"! Glad you got through 4 DS step premix. I thought about previewing it since I haven't done it in so long, but probably won't have time. Hope things warm up for you soon! I'm thinking, like you and ChelePA of mixing in Caroline, Growingannanas, and Heather with Cathe. I think the 3 instructors are very similar in style and they all have great workouts with great music. I really liked doing a Caroline workout followed by a Heather workout last week.

Hugs and waves to KateTT, Cataddict, Kim, FOLV, and Garrie!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 03:27 PM  
Mickey12

I just have to pop in to comment on Bee's husband's idea of Fun Friday! OMG!!! Sooooo funny!! Thanks for the chuckle!!
Old 01-29-21, 04:11 PM  
lavna

Hello Watulans!

ChelePA: Bummer for your water heater. You're lucky to have been able to find a plumber who could do the repair rapidely. No updates on my dad yet. I have to ask my mom.

manleym: I looked at the preview of Live 331 and it seemed very similar to Live 239 LB barre and weights wiich I like very much. I think 331 is going to go on my wishlist...

ChelePA and manleym: Water disasters are a big mess and terrible experiences.

bee: LOL on your husband's sugggestion for fun Friday!

I've tried many things to sleep better but I'm realising that these things are almost useless if I have apnea as it's not "habit-dependant"! So, I guess the best thing to do is to establish once and for all if I have it or not and act according to the results. I called the hospital to know how they're doing with their waiting list and it should be in August. So I'll guess I'll try a private clinic to at least get a diagnosis!

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 04:19 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
I just have to pop in to comment on Bee's husband's idea of Fun Friday! OMG!!! Sooooo funny!! Thanks for the chuckle!!
Gave me a good laugh too!!!!

Water heater fixed. So relieved it was done today.

Maybe you shared this before but how did everyone choose their user name? I kept it simple. Chele for Michele and I live in PA.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 06:47 PM  
manleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Maybe you shared this before but how did everyone choose their user name? I kept it simple. Chele for Michele and I live in PA.
And I had you pegged as Chelesa being your name. Ha! Figured out the PA part, though.

Sadly, my handle is not original. at. all. In fact, my husband asked me what my it was because he thinks all of you have clever handles. When I told him manleym he said, "really???" Basically, that's all you could think of? Manley is my last name and M is the first initial of my first name. It took me YEARS to get approved to post, and that's how I log in at work, so manleym was the only thing I could think of at the time. But I love all of your handles! They are so creative and clever!

Hubby figured out the meaning of Horusosiris's handle. I won't steal her thunder but he knew right away.

Just finished 4 Day Split Double Cardio. I did pretty well considering I hadn't done it in awhile. I did have to rewind a few times, especially the last combo of HIS because Cathe just throws everything out there all at once. Such a fun routine! Flew and fun! Perfect for Fun Friday! I followed it with Cathe's Basic Stretching from Total Body Stretching. I must have needed it because it felt REALLY good!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 08:37 PM  
Mickey12

ChelePA I also figured your name was Chelsea based on you user name. Michele never occurred to me either. So here’s a question - how do you pronounce ChelePA? I mean, like Shelly since it’s short for Michele, or with a hard C like Chelsea?

I picked Mickey12 because my husband and I are huge Disney fans. Not very creative.

Tonight I did the double cardio step premix from 4Day split for Fun Friday. It was fun but I had trouble with the last combo from each section. I think it’s been years since I did this one and those sections had me doing my own thing. Cathe’s cuing is a little late in this one too but it wasn’t much of an issue. The music is good in these too. Fun way to end the workweek.

Hope everyone enjoys the evening.
Old 01-29-21, 08:38 PM  
Garrie A.

I'm back!

So this year's Spring semester rush at my bookstore job was probably the smoothest in the four years that I've worked there. Other than the phone ringing off the hook a few days and some instructors ordering wrong materials, it went very smoothly.

I've been very consistent workout-wise the past few weeks. After my Gym Style week I did a week of Phase 1 of P90X, minus Kenpo. As I mentioned previously, one of my 2021 goals is to be able to work up to a few unassisted pull-ups and chin-ups (ultimately 2-5 pull-ups and 4-6 chin-ups). So I decided to work them in. I used a pull-up assist band, and put my longest, heaviest barbell on the second-to-highest setting of my squat rack as a makeshift pull-up bar. Instead of Kenpo, I took a rest day and the next day did The Firm's Volume 1. I missed Susan! And the workout still kicks my butt years later. I love it!

This week was Cathe's Slow & Heavy. I added another lower body workout, Legs & Glutes (since the lower body in S&H isn't enough for me IMHO). For cardio, I did Turbo Fire's Fire 45 and tomorrow for my second cardio day I will be doing Rhythmic Step. Since I'm planning on 4DS next week, I will be doing the step workouts then.

My handle is my first name and last abbreviation. Plain and simple.

Re push-ups, the best way to get stronger at push-ups is to get off your knees and start doing them on an incline surface (i.e., club step with risers, gradually reducing risers as you get stronger). Your core is a big factor with regards to push-ups on your toes. Doing endless knee push-ups does nothing for the core.

Manleym: Yes, Cathe doesn't teach the last combo of HIS very well although I didn't have any trouble catching on. As an instructor myself, I would never teach or throw choreography when my students aren't facing me. If I were to teach that combo in a class, it would be taught differently.

Nathalie: Awww, sorry you're having trouble sleeping. I've had a bit of trouble these days. Not insomnia, but I've had to go to the bathroom one too many times during the night. Then I have trouble going back to sleep.

Cataddict and Kittybug: One more week of STS to go! I must warn you, however, you will be both excited and sad at the same time. And congrats on the strength gains! I was thrilled myself this second round. Never in my life would I ever thought I would use an 80 lb. barbell for bench presses, a nearly 100 lb. barbell for rows, close to 50 lb. barbell for barbell curls, or over 100 lbs. (total barbell weight) for squats and deadlifts. But I did it and loved every minute of it! BTW, that was towards the end of Meso 3.

ChelePA: Sorry to hear about the water heater. Glad you were able to find a plumber quickly.

I'll chat more tomorrow. Don't want to get the dreaded error. Waves all!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 09:10 PM  
fanofladyvols

Well...I kinda cheer for the Lady Vols a wee bit so..
Fan of Lady Vols

It seemed pretty obvious to me. but later learned that it was hard to decipher.

bee I'm not sure I have mentioned before but whenever I think the number of Cathe's (or others) pushup number is excessive, then I go at my own pace, hold plank, side plank or do inverted rows for different sets. There's so many other exercises..why limit myself to something I hate?!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 09:21 PM  
ChelePA

Loving the origin of your VF names.
I can’t believe I didn’t realize fanofladyvols. A fellow sports fan here.

Kim...Chele pronounced Shell. And only my sister calls me by a nickname. To all others it’s Michele.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 09:49 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Nicknames! Linda, I figured yours out because of your avatar. Not sure I would have otherwise. Manleym, I'm surprised you are such a "recent" addition to vf -- you certainly know your way around video home fitness! I always said "Shelly" in my mind for Chele. I am bee because my name is Beth and my best friend calls me "B" (or "bee"?).

I'm glad you were all amused by hubby's comment.

Garrie, wow, those are impressive numbers on your weights!!

Glad your water heater was fixed so quickly, Chele -- that would have been hard to go without for very long! manleym, what a nightmare story that was for your water problem. When we lived in SF, handy hubby was drilling a hole in from the second floor to the office below so we could pull an ethernet cable up. Well, he had this stubborn part where it wouldn't drill so he doubled down to make it work and...... ppsssshhhhh! Water started spurting to the ceiling. Thank goodness he knew where to go shut off the main but since he had to run downstairs there was a fair amount of what in our office that was of course a lot of bookshelves and computer equipment!! He's mostly pretty handy.

Tags
watulan check-in