Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-15, 09:27 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Thumbs down Exclusively for Prime members

It seems that Amazon now has some items that are available only for Prime members now. I was searching for an apple peeler and their #1 Best Seller states that it is exclusively for Prime members.

I'm not a prime member and this doesn't make me want to become one, either.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 09:40 AM  
Taiga

They aren't going to bully me into Prime. I've been spending less on Amazon thanks to their attempts to herd me into their business agenda. They seem more and more like a business I don't want to know. I've been surprised how easy it has been to branch out to other companies. I used to buy a lot of books/dvds/gifts there and that has been dwindling substantially. Their "Prime" service is nothing more than the level of service they used to offer when they first started out. Their prices aren't nearly as competitive as they seem once you add the ever growing Prime fee.
Old 10-07-15, 10:09 AM  
antbuko

Oh wow, is this new? I had no idea they were doing this. I am a Prime member, so I had no idea. I think it's a bad idea on Amazon's part. Maybe it is just experimental.
Old 10-07-15, 10:10 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
Oh wow, is this new? I had no idea they were doing this. I am a Prime member, so I had no idea. I think it's a bad idea on Amazon's part. Maybe it is just experimental.
It's been going on at least a few months.
Old 10-07-15, 10:24 AM  
laurajhawk

That's weird. I am a Prime member, hadn't noticed that before (but I can see the "exclusive for Prime members" notice on the apple peeler), and I think it's a terrible idea.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 10:30 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

The worst Amazon offense is that "Add-on Item" program. Loathe that!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 10:33 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
This is the first I heard of it too. I hope they're not becoming like Costco, which I won't join because I hate paying just for the privilege of paying. At least with Prime you get some free videos.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 10:34 AM  
PhyllisG

I am not a prime member and dont plan on becoming one.
I bought Lifefactory baby bottles and wanted the accessories for them but my local store didn't have them. So I ordered on amazon and it came to $38 because of shipping charges from various marketplace sellers. I then checked the Lifefactory site, got everything I wanted and a shipping charge of $3.
Total cost $18.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 11:00 AM  
BunnyHop

The other day a dvd set came out that I really wanted. (The 10th season of Bones, FWIW.)

It wasn't available for pre-order at all, and on the day of release? Only available to Prime members for a discounted price. (And apparently not available at all to anyone else.)

Now that it's available to us non-Prime peons? The price is higher.

This strikes me as so incredibly dumb.

And yeah, I went out IRL and bought what I wanted at the price that was being offered to Amazon Prime members without having to wait for it to be shipped to me. (Thanks, BestBuy, even if I don't otherwise have much use for your store.)

Amazon wants to control the market, but I think alienating your customer base is not the way to go.
Old 10-07-15, 12:04 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think of Amazon as a bully these days. I guess that's the nature of modern business. I also don't like the idea of them delivering items via drone. I think it's going to wreak havoc with flying birds.

I'm not a prime member and don't plan on becoming one.

Tags
amazon, amazon prime