Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-15, 11:19 AM  
berry99

Weight workouts for the gym

I haven't been into working out at home for awhile, but I have been going to a gym for about a year now. I have tried the weight lifting classes that they offer, but they aren't my cup of tea. I do really like lifting there on my own there, but am getting tired of making up my own workouts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for paper workouts to bring to the gym? I like to do total body workouts focusing mostly on back, chest, core and legs.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-15, 11:56 AM  
Chomper

I heartily recommend the Men's Heealth Power Training book by Robert Dos Remedios. I feel that if you follow his workout template it is a little too much, but it's such a great resource for basic strength training knowledge straight from a Strength and Conditioning Coach. I learned a LOT from it and now feel capable of evaluating other strength programs-- I know what to look for and what is important to me.

Nia Shanks does some more minimalistic programming that works better for me, and her programs are very reasonably priced. She is also an awesome person with a great website and podcast.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 10:25 PM  
CatInTheHat

New Rules of Lifting

Strong Curves

Stronglifts - not a book but a website, and I believe it's all free.

New Rules of Lifting will focus on what you want - they don't do the smaller muscles like bi's / tri's because they believe that working the other muscles will work all those smaller muscles. I found the paper workout difficult to figure out, but, there is tons of info online.

I've not gotten thru Strong Curves.

These programs seem to emphasize compound moves and working the bigger muscle groups.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 11:11 AM  
Ecossaise

I've been doing the beginner workout in Rachel McLish's Flex Appeal. It's out-of-print but available on Amazon. I'd also recommend Hard Bodies by Gladys Portugues and Perfect Parts (also by Rachel McLish). They're all programs for the weight room. All the books I recommended are from the mid-80s and they rock!
Old 09-05-15, 03:58 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have to concur on Nia Shanks' programs. You get them in a pdf, so you can just print out the program you want to do and take it with you to the gym. I have Beautiful Badass, and S(hero) as well as her beautiful badass body weight program. She explains in the body weight program how to combine it with weights workouts. Very well thought out.

ETA: Here is her website: http://www.niashanks.com/
If you go to her store you will see her programs. It looks like the BBA weight program is no longer available. I bet many of those programs are in her Train to be Awesome one. Also she posted a Minimalist program a few years ago on her blog that was excellent. I followed it for several months and made good progress.

Here is a sample of her two day a week lifting program she posted on her blog:
http://www.niashanks.com/two-day-strength-program/
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, paper workouts at gym