Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-03-22, 10:19 AM  
Leonana

I read an article how one woman reversed her hernia with PT core strength exercises. It was part of a study. I thought I’d give it a shot and did some this morning. I wonder if my stronger abs over the years kept it from being a problem. Actually, I wouldn’t have known it was there until I lost weight. Anyway, this morning I did some calf stretches, and things like bridges and squeezing a pillow between the knees. And engaging my core during the day. Also adding in some arm movements and squats. My neck was stiff, so also did some stretching and in my pirifirmis, as my lower back is bothering me. Not sure how much I can do over time, but will do my best. I spaced out yesterday, and lifted something heavy. It's so hard to remember!

Donna, unfortunately no. I was hopeful too and asked my TMJ doc. He said the trigeminal nerve is producing inflammation. And many people have pain relief with steroids, although my response is stronger than usual, which shows damage from the grinding. But you can’t use steroids often, too hard on the body. He also said it isn’t going to heal completely. Well, rarely it spontaneously heals and he calls it a miracle. I guess there is always hope! Some people do go into remission for a few years. I will do my best to manage it with meds and a healthy lifestyle as much as possible. Some people live a more normal life with meds. Never the same as before, but you can do more things. It’s a really hard adjustment. But therapy is helping. And I’m using the Curable App for chronic pain sufferers. It’s CBT for pain, you program your brain to understand pain differently, and it reduces the pain. Pain signals are in the brain, not the nerves. So, if we can change how the brain reacts to the pain signals, you can reduce the pain. Hopefully, that makes sense!

And this is more common in women after 60. Another fun benefit of menopause, along with all the others.
Old 07-03-22, 02:24 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today's workouts:

Ellen - Super Fast Body Blast

Caribbean Workout - Core Pilates- Section 3 - Core & Lower Body - this was a really good one, it has all of my favorite lying-side exercises!

Ellen - Standing Stretch

Sherry - it sounds like you are certainly doing everything you can -

Waves, Pam, wishiwasinhawaii and Liz!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-22, 01:53 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

I finally talked myself into doing Jessica's Lower Body Workout from Strong & Centered. This one does have a bit of a dread factor - but I do feel accomplished for having completed it! It does drag a bit for me b/c of the repetition and it is also just hard for me!

I also did Ellen's Yoga Mat Work.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

I did just see there was another shooting at a parade in the Chicago suburbs. When will this end?

Take care,

Donna
Old 07-05-22, 11:00 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Jessica Smith - Split Sessions - Upper Body - I actually like this workout! She focuses quite a bit on posture. This and the Lower Body workout are not really traditional weight training sessions. The lower body workout uses a step and glider. A lot of work is done in the hip hinge position but for some reason that is ok for me w/ these workouts- I'm thinking it is the pacing and weight selection.

I added on Jessica Valent - 10 Min Thoracic Mobility and 10 Min Every Day Pilates

Hope everyone has a good day!

I'm on a staycation this week - not complaining, but I earn a lot of leave at work and I'm only allowed to carry over so much of it. We don't have any major plans - in part b/c we spent our vacation budget on our bathrooms this year but it is nice to be home and relax. I should do some projects, but I don't feel like it!!

Donna
Old 07-05-22, 05:20 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Today I did a short outdoor hike. It was a bit humid and cloudy but still always glad I venture out and go for it! :-)

Yesterday I did a short mile on the treadmill. We ended up staying home for the 4th, but did pick up a Summer Strawberry salad at Wendy's which was pretty good!

I've been a bit depressed with my 18 year old cat not getting around as much as she used to. She seems to be in some pain, and I've given her Cosequin (treats and capsule) but not sure it's helping enough. All she wants to do is lay on me, if I'm on the couch with her. We have a vet appt. next Monday, and I'm dreading the diagnosis. DH and I have been so sad the last couple of weeks. He starts the waterworks, and then has me crying, too! We just hate to have to lose her, but we've had some great years so I need to focus on that!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 05:35 PM  
donnamp

Pam - I'm sorry about your cat, I'm in a similar situation with my Lab - she is up there in age, had arthritis and kidney disease. She has to go out all the time b/c of her KD. It affects my sleep and is even affecting our "staycation" - since my DD is at work all day we are staying close to home rather than venture too far away on day trips since we know there will be a mess to clean up. but, it is worth it for now. I know the time is coming b/c over the past few weeks she has had some falls and hasn't been able to get up w/out help and I'm sure that stresses her out. Also, having accidents in the house stresses her, too. It stinks.

Donna
Old 07-05-22, 08:29 PM  
Leonana

I did Taiflow's Tai Chi 5 Minutes a Day Module 01. I think her 5 minute practices are gentle enough for me to do each day. I believe if I keep it up, eventually I can do more exercise and it won't increase my pain. I've decided to try it, as movement can reduce pain, you just need to start slow and get your nervous system used to it. I'm also practicing meditation, which also helps. I think some of my pain is due to anxiety, I've already noticed it decreasing some. I'm hopeful!

Pam and Donna, I'm sorry about your cat and dog. It's so hard when they are ill and we can't help them, but even harder to say goodbye. Hugs.
Old 07-06-22, 11:06 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I added on a CS episode - from Season 7 - i figured July = 7 so may as well pull out Season 7.

Today I did a 4 Mile walk w/ Leslie from her Walk 15 series. The time did go by quickly. It is so stinkin' humid outside and buggy so outdoor walks aren't appealing right now!

I also did Jill Miller - Yoga Tune up at Home - Level 1, Month 1, Program A - this is one of my go-to post workout stretches.

Sherry - I'm glad you were able to find some things you can do.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Donna
Old 07-06-22, 02:21 PM  
Leonana

Today was a ten minute practice called Somatic Practice for Trauma and Stress Release. Then I did some stretching and a few squats and calf raises.

Donna, I think I should try a few minutes of Leslie sometime.
Old 07-06-22, 03:48 PM  
donnamp

Good job, Sherry! You can always start with 1-5 min and see how you do and then gradually build from there. Just keep doing what you can.

Tags
tablet