Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-22, 09:47 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

ShovelMax query - electric snow blowers

We're thinking of switching to electric when our gas blower gasps it's last strangled breath. If you have one, what are the pros and cons we should be aware of?

If you use a battery charged one, how long does it take to charge up and how long does a charge last? Are they capable of handling two or more feet of snow, and icy snow?

Thanks!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 10:59 AM  
wendug

My friend down the block just bought a new gas snow blower because her electric one wasn't powerful enough. I think she said the power only lasted about 45 minutes and then took 2-3 hours to recharge. I don't know what brand electric blower she had, but I'm sure if you read the specs before buying it will tell you the run time and recharge time. We have a gas blower, so I can't be of much help beyond that.
Old 02-02-22, 11:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oh boy, thanks Wendy.
Old 02-02-22, 02:00 PM  
Mickey12

I don't have any experience with electric snow blowers, but I think if you're in Connecticut you're going to need one with more umph that what an electric one will offer. That's just from experience with things like weed whackers, drills, etc. They just don't have the longevity or power to handle anything big. Now, I could be totally wrong too. We have a Troy Bilt that's been going strong for 30 years. It's pretty big, (don't know the exact size but it has handled 2 feet of snow), it's got heated hand grips and I love it! Good luck in your search.
Old 02-02-22, 02:26 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks Mickey - that's one of my main concerns, how long will the juice last.
Old 02-02-22, 05:45 PM  
Chris T.
VF Supporter

I have an EGO snow thrower, which is battery powered and I love it. The batteries last 1 hour and will do my entire driveway, which is about 4 car lengths wide + my entire sidewalk. I can't get to my neighbor's driveway or my back patio without a 2nd charge, which takes about 20 min per battery. So, I go inside and warm up and then go back out there.

Colorado had a huge storm last March - 27", and I did go out 2 times while storm was raging and once when it was over, but so did all of my neighbors who have gas powered. Nobody waited till the entire 27" was on the ground.

It is snowing today and we got 11", and the EGO has handled great. I moved to CO from CT and we brought a monster Ariens with us, and I always hated that thing. It was too big & heavy, way too much maintenance and expensive to constantly maintain. After using the EGO for almost a year, I'll never go back to a gas one.

Good luck!!
Chris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-22, 06:05 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Chris T., thank you! DH is all hyped up about the Snow Joe commercial but the EGO sounds trustworthy.
Old 02-03-22, 10:37 AM  
Chris T.
VF Supporter

Pat, I bought my EGO at ACE hardware in March 2021. At that time, they only seemed to be at ACE. However, this past fall, I saw the EGO at Lowe's, so Lowe's has them available now.

Good luck!
Chris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-22, 07:45 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T. View Post
I have an EGO snow thrower, which is battery powered and I love it. The batteries last 1 hour and will do my entire driveway, which is about 4 car lengths wide + my entire sidewalk. I can't get to my neighbor's driveway or my back patio without a 2nd charge, which takes about 20 min per battery. So, I go inside and warm up and then go back out there.
I second this recommendation - we have an Ego battery powered snow thrower too and it is wonderful! We're in Upstate NY so, like Colorado, we get SNOW! So far it's been great! Cost was about $700 but worth it! No gas, no tune ups like a gas-powered blower!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-22, 09:01 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

We had an electric snow thrower years ago and it couldn't handle the snow we get here in MN. DH told me getting any more than 4" of snow requires a two stage snow blower and the electric one just had one. We have a gas powered snow blower now that is two stage (scoop and throw).

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shovel max, snow blower