Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-29-22, 01:51 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Vantreesta - Is there a nickname you go by that we can call you? Just curious. We're happy to have you join us in whatever way you want. Foot surgery is such a hard decision because it can go wrong, but you need it and you KNOW things will go wrong if you do nothing. Canada is such a great country to visit - beautiful, friendly people, a good travel system, etc. I want to go to Banff and Jasper. And we'll probably get back to Vancouver since I have a friend moving there soon. And I'd like to go back to Nova Scotia to see more. Other than that, I've seen all I want to see there.

Anita - Welcome back. It sounds like your fun times will continue with your social plans and your friend coming to stay.

I hope they fix VF soon. I kept having to mark the forum as read (under Quick Links) in order to even be able to see the threads.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 07:39 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I checked back in this evening to see if things were working better here and it seems to be back to normal. Thank goodness! Everyone have a good night.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-29-22, 09:01 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 23 Recovery Movement and Tamilee Sitting Stretch.

It was beautiful weather so we went flying, a low key day.

Wow, it seems as though everyone was having problems with VF, I hope this posts OK.

Anita, glad you had such a good time on your trip. Sounds like you've got fun things lined up for the near future too. That squirrel didn't rip the cushion on the seam where I might to able to repair it - no he just dug holes in the multiple places in the center of the cushion seat. My mission now is to try to scare him off whenever I see him on the patio. I hate to do it, but if he's going to be destructive he isn't welcome anymore.

Vantreestra, loved your image of dancing around the kitchen while making pumpkin pancakes! You're my kind of person. I'd love to try your pumpkin pancakes. I understand about needing to get up on your toes. I used to be 5'4", I'm shorter now, probably 5'3" (I hope). My DH is over 6' and he keeps sticking stuff in high places that I can't easily reach. I'm always having to get up on my toes or find a chair to climb onto. We've been to Canada several times. The longest was in 2016 we drove to Alaska from our home in California so we drove across all of British Columbia and Yukon. On the way home we diverted into Alberta and went to Jasper and Banff. Honestly, Canada is beautiful and the people are so nice. As for the parks, I prefered Jasper as Banff was so crowded it wasn't fun. If I were to go back to Banff I'd go on a bus tour or something like that where someone else did all the driving. I'd love to see Europe but DH won't fly that long.

Laura, sorry your DH is still feeling lousy. That's always hard, hope he feels better soon. Glad you were able to get out of the house for a while and go to the gym. I'd love to go back to Canada and go to Nova Scotia. I've been to Toronto, but would love to go to Montreal and Quebec. Of course neither of us speaks French so that might be hard.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 07:22 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I sure hope the posts go through easier today! It's a possibly yes, possibly no, Carcassonne day - our leader has cancelled out, but we have another person that can host the game. After Carcassonne time, I'll be taking the sea shell collection to an arts store that supplies schools for a donation. Then I'll be taking a bus downtown to go to the Latvian Song and Dance opening ceremony and finding the woman that will be staying with me. We'll take the bus back to my house.

Laura, sorry you were having some forum problems also. Hope it's all cured now! Glad DH is feeling a little better, but hope he still goes to the doctor to get checked out. You do grocery shopping online for later pickup at stores? I'm seeing the service being advertised at a number of stores I go to, but wonder how good their selections are. How do you like yours? I assume they refrigerate your groceries till pickup? Or do you get a melted mess of your frozen stuff?

Paula, Argh on that squirrel chewing up your cushion! I'm a shrinking woman also - I used to be 5' 5", now I'm about 5' 2" - of course that registers me as being even more overweight by BMI! When I've seen Xrays of my back, I'm missing lots of the extra space between vertebrae. I was in Canada as a kid on a vacation with my parents (saw Niagara Falls area, Toronto, and Montreal) and once for a girl scout camp, but haven't been up there for a vacation as an adult - I'd love to make the trip!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-22, 12:50 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I slept in a little this morning because I had trouble going to sleep last night. I went and got a blood test done, standard blood work for my rheumatologist ahead of my infusion next week. This afternoon, I have a hair appointment and I'll probably drop in on the chiropractor before that.

DH is back to feeling rough. He went to the doctor last week and this week he followed up by calling them asking if an antibiotic was appropriate. They never called back, so I just left a message myself. I'm a bit more forceful and he just doesn't have he energy to deal with calls today. I also called and cancelled his hair appointment today and dental visit tomorrow.

Anita - I do pick-ups at Wegmans, Publix, Food Lion, Whole Foods, and Walmart. For the first three, I use the Instacart app and for the last two I use their own app. I know you don't shop at Walmart or Amazon, but they are examples of how stores do their apps. I place an order on the appropriate app, identify substitutions I'll accept, and set a time I'll be there. With Instacart, they let me know when they start shopping and when they make substitutions, I have the chance to approve or disapprove them. I can also message them as they shop. I usually just watch it as they shop to be sure they don't substitute something I don't want, but I give a lot of info and it's usually not a problem. Whole Foods/Amazon limits quantities on some things and lets me mark what they can substitute. I generally don't allow them to substitute on anything because I'm interested in the one cheap option that fills DH's needs. Walmart just lets me identify which items they can make a substitution on, but they don't let me identify those substitutions, so I don't let me substitute for many things. When I leave to go for the pick-up, they all provide a link I can click to let them know I am on my way. When I set up the apps originally I allowed the app to use location services only when I use the app for a pick-up. This allows them to see how far out I am and when they should bring my order out. I'm always amazed at Wegmans how I pull up, they come out and load my trunk, and I'm on my way in 5 minutes or less. They all keep the items in a temperature controlled environment until they know I'm close, so picking up cold items is not a problem. During the summer, I even take an insulated bag with ice packs to Wegmans and they help me load ice cream and other frozen items in it. (Wegmans is the farthest from my house and is a longer drive than most.) As far as their stock goes, it's like shopping in a store in person. It just depends on whether it's actually in stock or not and that's where identifying substitutions comes in so handy. I hate paying delivery charges and doing pick-ups lets me avoid those and go to stores without actually going into a store. It saves me a lot of time. I often have to go multiple places to get everything, but I did that pre-pandemic in person. Remember I shop for DH who needs a lot of specialty items that have always been hard to get sometimes. Does that answer your questions?

Paula - Assuming you would be in tourist areas in Montreal and Quebec City (which I can't imagine you wouldn't be), finding English speakers is no problem at all. They are all bi-lingual and cater to English-speaking tourists. We loved Quebec City and Old Town in Montreal and both are so worth visiting.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 06-30-22, 08:42 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping day 24 Met Con followed by Yoga with Tim, Morning stretch.

I had an 8am dental appointment so I had to get up early. I’ve become spoiled by retirement. Had a mammogram this afternoon so my day was taken up with medical appointments.

Anita, hope you have fun at the Dance and Song fair. Also hope you didn’t have a hard time finding your friend. A rising BMI is one of the trials of aging, isn’t it?

Laura, I have another friend who orders all her groceries on Instacart or on apps. She loves the ease of it. I prefer to do my own shopping, not sure why but when it comes to fruit and vegetables I want to look them over myself. Good to know traveling in French Canada wouldn’t be difficult. We were lucky in Mexico that so many Mexicans in the tourist areas spoke English. When we went into the more rural areas our Spanish was adequate to get by but it was difficult and funny from time to time.
Old 07-01-22, 06:40 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Today I have a morning at the Wildlife Rehab Center, then coming home after a nice walk. This afternoon, likely trying to tackle some weeds, then this evening getting together with some local friends for a grilled dinner and a Shakespeare play in the park. I do have a friend staying with me from MI - she will likely go to the festival today and stay most of the day - she's working as a reporter there. We both learned the buses to get to downtown Saint Paul. She did stay later than I did last night and got a ride to my place with friends.

Laura, Your DH has been through enough health issues that he recognizes when things are bad and he needs help - I'm mad that they don't seem to be very responsive to his condition. I've not tried grocery pickup, but may turn to that when I move to the co-op. Thanks for your opinion.

Paula, Yeah, 8 am is a lot earlier than it was when I worked! So far I've seen a friend from childhood and a local friend at the song and dance festival. I talked to an Asian jewelry vendor and asked if she knew any Latvian - she said yes! She had been adopted by Latvians. I said I was adopted by Latvians also, I was Norwegian and Swedish. She said she knew someone adopted from Finland - wait a minute... That was my brother! Yes, she knew my brother and lived in the same town as him in WI - they are getting together next week to learn how to make Latvian piragi, which are bacon rolls. Small world!

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 10:00 AM  
Vantreesta

Wed 6/29 165 minutes
25 minutes (from PT strength exercises)
12 minutes (from B. Bowman GuerrillaZen Fitness 10-min Knee Stability Routine for Bulletproof Knees, YT)
8 minutes (from C. Jordan No Impact Foot, Calf, and Shin Strength Exercise Video, YT)
11 minutes (from C. Jordan Barefoot Strength and Stretch Exercises Workout for Your Feet, YT)
2 minutes (from CVG 2022 Movement Challenge day 8 -40 pike pushups)
14 minutes (from Barre Fitness 31 Day Challenge day 8 Standing Barre Workout No Equipment, YT) 1st time
13 minutes (from 1.11 mi run)
42 minutes (from foam roll/ball massage + PT & other stretches)
9 minutes (from peroneal tendonitis exercises)
29 minutes (from 2 dog walks 2.04 mi) another hot one!

Thu 6/30 53 minutes
10 minutes (from wobble board drills)
43 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.85 mi)

Laura, most people on the forums call me Vannie bc it's easier to spell. Regarding foot surgery, I'm like 95% sure I will not be opting to do it now. I really want to see what I can do with conservative measures first. If that doesn't work then surgery is still an option. Plus if surgery does become necessary I figure I'll have a better foot fitness level going into it and hopefully better recovery bc of it. I'm sorry your DH is still feeling so crummy and not getting much help from doctors.

Regarding Canada, that is my concern with Banff, how busy it would be. I don't know if I've heard of Jasper so I'll look it up. The only reason I want to go to Nova Scotia is bc that's where one of my favorite TV shows, Haven, was filmed. My understanding is that with the enhanced driver's license you don't need a passport to enter Canada. Is that not the case?

Paula, I used to dance like that much more often but for some reason I don't think to do it much anymore. I think once I got into listening to podcasts I kind of forgot how much I love music and dancing. Also music was kind of hard after my mom died. She was like me and loved almost every genre so too many songs reminded me of her and made me sad. Now I'm able to remember all the happy times and fun we had surrounding music and I turn on the cable music channels almost every morning. I'll try to remember to post my pancake recipe later. I love them! Shame on your DH for putting things above your head! I made hubby laugh when I made my pancakes. When I make that much I have to use the huge Tupperware bowl that only gets used for those and lefse so I have it and the others that size on the top shelf in the cabinet. A couple of them have a type of handle that has a hole in it so I use a long silicone spoon (like a wooden spoon) to put it into the whole and pull the bowls forward till I can catch with one hand while guiding with the spoon hand. Then I do the reverse to put them back. Apparently he had never seen me do this and he just watched with a weird look on his face and then said okay, that was funny.

Anita, thanks for explaining your Latvian connection. I kept meaning to ask. What a small world that the vendor knows your brother! Is the WRC in St. Paul? Have you been to the wolf center in Stacy? We love going there. I even take Cyric even though there are other dogs. I like that they are all leashed and it seems like people there are more respectful of his issues than people out walking in our neighborhood. I can work on some training with him, plus the staff there are obviously knowledgeable in canine behavior and sometimes give me feedback. Interesting story. I used to take Chianna (Husky/German Shepherd mix) up there and she refused to look at the wolves. She would howl with sirens at home but when the wolves howled she would not join in. She was smart! She loved watching the bears though and would whine watching the big cats even though she never whined otherwise. So when we got Cyric and took them both up there, Cyric was much more bold and would stare at the wolves and howl along with them. Chianna maintained her reserve but when Cyric started howling she would howl with him. It was so cute. I have video (well just audio) of them together. I was downstairs working out not long after we got him so I had him in his kennel in the living room bc I didn't know what he could be trusted with yet. Suddenly I heard this ruckus of him barking at who knows what and then Chianna started howling! I snuck upstairs to where they still couldn't see me and started recording. Regarding your friend's bunion surgery, I can't imagine having to have to have your foot above your head most of the day! I barely even sit still for a full inning of baseball, I dread the idea of ever being laid up. And with restless legs syndrome to boot!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-22, 03:00 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

They finally gave DH an antibiotic and it seems to be helping. He seems to be feeling a little better today and I take total credit. He called on Tuesday and gently asked for a call back and never got it and then I called yesterday and left a more aggrieved and obnoxious message. They responded almost immediately.

This morning, I went to the YMCA and got a decent workout. After lunch, I did a pick-up at Whole Foods and I'm waiting on a delivery from Amazon Fresh. It was nice to not have to go to the grocery store on the Friday before the 4th of July weekend.

Mom and Dad didn't go to the Y today because Dad's sick now. It sounds more like a cold/flu infection something. He apparently got an antibiotic and will hopefully feel better soon. Mom said she has an at-home COVID test that she'll have him take.

Vantreesta - Well, I've finally learned to spell your name once I figured out where to put the S! So many foot doctors want to START with surgery. It's a smart move to start with the more non-invasive options first. My DH and I have both been referred to podiatrists by other doctors who also told us to NOT let them do a surgery, but insist on other treatments. There are any number of reasons to travel to places. I've considered going to certain countries and including sites where Game of Thrones was filmed! I have had a passport for 25 years or more. I have no idea what is needed to travel to Canada these days because I'd just use my passport. Using the enhanced driver's license sounds right?

Paula - Yeah, I think that's true a lot of places. Tokyo is easy to get around because so many people speak English and there is so much signage in English. However, if you go to smaller places, including Kyoto, it becomes much harder. Hope you put the medical stuff behind you since you spent so much time on it in one day.

Anita - Your days yesterday and today remind me of your time with Adelija - lots of moving pieces. I hope the time with your friend is good. Yeah, I've been mad about how this doctor's office has treated DH. That probably fed into the aggrieved tone with them...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-01-22, 08:28 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B. Body Shaping Day 25 Moderate Weights and a 10 minute yoga stretch. It was a nice day so we flew to Catalina and hiked the airport loop trail.

Vannie, I like Vannie so I'll call you that if it's OK. You certainly did alot of activity on the 29th. Not sure if you're interested but there's a retired PT on YouTube, Margaret Martin, who has a couple videos on foot massage. One video is 17 minutes the other is much shorter and uses a ball. I get cramps in my feet sometimes and massage helps. Jasper is another Canadian National Park, not that far from Banff and it's really lovely. I'm going to check on what's needed to get into Canada now. We have the enhanced drivers licenses so that's good. I don't dance around the kitchen much anymore either. I tend to be watching YouTube or podcasts like you while I cook. Such a lovely memory of your mother, such a nice thing to share even now. Do you use pumpkin puree in your pancakes or just pumpkin spice? Ah, the lengths we short people go through to get things off high shelves. It probably was funny to watch. I have restless leg syndrome too and I had knee surgery, in both knees (not at the same time) and afterward had to lay still on the couch with the leg elevated - it's wasn't easy. Enjoyed the dog/wolf howling chorus story.

Laura, pat yourself on the back for getting the doctors to respond to your DH. I need to get groceries on Sunday, I hope the stores aren't packed. I wouldn't have thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it, oh well, I'll just have to deal with whatever. I need to go to Trader Joes too and that place is always busy. Sounds like you have a sick husband and a sick father - should make it fun for the next few days. When do you get to rest? Your time in WV sounded less than fun and you came home with a sick husband who isn't well yet. I vote you take a short vacation away from all of it and get some rest.