Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-21, 06:04 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Warmed Up Before The Warm Up?

I wonder if sometimes the instructor and crew are warmed up before actually filming. I've noticed in some workouts their squats and lunges are super deep right off the bat. I can't get into my deepest squats/lunges that quickly.

Yesterday I did KCM's Sculpting Rx and in the warm up there's a squat into a toe touch move. There was no way I was reaching my toes 2 minutes into the warm up. Maybe flexibility has something to do with it but I can touch my toes after I'm FULLY warmed up.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 06:08 PM  
Bluebelle

Maybe they are warmed up from a run through before filming starts
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 06:12 PM  
sherry7899

Kelly's warm ups are never long enough for me. I do some warming up beforehand. Gin Miller and Cathe always have very thorough warmups.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 07:17 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I agree that many times the warmups are not long enough, especially in weight workouts. I often have to do a warmup set or two of squats etc. after the choreographed one.

I recently did some exercises from a NROL book. The author doesn't believe in a traditional warm up at all. Instead you do a series of stretches and foam rolling if desired. I started adding in a regular warmup.

I also think how long it takes your muscles to warm up can be an individual thing. We're all different, and we have to do what works for each of us.
Old 12-12-21, 09:09 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I hate jumping jacks in warm ups. Usually I'm not warmed up yet to do jumping jacks. I modified. I workout first thing in the morning btw.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 09:48 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
I wonder if sometimes the instructor and crew are warmed up before actually filming. I've noticed in some workouts their squats and lunges are super deep right off the bat. I can't get into my deepest squats/lunges that quickly.

Yesterday I did KCM's Sculpting Rx and in the warm up there's a squat into a toe touch move. There was no way I was reaching my toes 2 minutes into the warm up. Maybe flexibility has something to do with it but I can touch my toes after I'm FULLY warmed up.
I've had the same thought Some warmups are so intense that I wonder how they don't injure themselves. Look at Squeeze Stronger and those rapid deadlift warmups with weights, Egads! I need a gentler warmup.
Old 12-12-21, 11:23 AM  
prettyinpink

I think they must be warmed up before filming or from multiple takes, but it also probably depends on your own body. I still don’t feel I need a long warmup unless I am going to be using heavy weights, in which case I do many of the movements first with bodyweight, and then some with lighter weights.

For something that’s mostly cardio, I like mobility drills or dynamic stretching at the beginning. I have wondered if the foam rolling thing was or is a sort of fad. If you need it, you need it, but I have never felt I’ve gotten anything out of it, and research is not really positive, I hear.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 11:36 AM  
BunnyHop

I've quit doing KCM warmups at least in part because they are too intense. If the point is to warm up, they should acknowledge that people need to use this time to limber up.

I use Classical Stretch episodes as a warmup, but slow down the speed if it's too fast that early in the day.
Old 12-12-21, 12:47 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
I hate jumping jacks in warm ups. Usually I'm not warmed up yet to do jumping jacks. I modified. I workout first thing in the morning btw.
I don't mind jumping jacks in a warm up IF they are at the end of the warmup. I despise workouts that IMMEDIATELY start with jumping jacks, though. I remember trying a YT workout where the instructor starts out the warmup with a couple of minutes of jumping jacks. Um...NO! I Joni-O'd that workout!
Old 12-12-21, 05:28 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
I make ugly faces when jumping is involved in warmups and veto them

I actually need mobility warmup drills BEFORE most warmups. Then I find I don't need as long a cardio warmup if I do it this way. My engine is like 10 year old car -- I can't put it in drive and hit the gas immediately.

After an intense workout, I love doing a few minutes of a classical stretch episode as a cool down. Feels great!

As to the original post, I think they are warmed up more than what we see.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warm ups, warm-up