Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-21, 11:58 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I do still have some vanity aspirations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Why not? When did vanity become a crime?
Yes!
For me, exercise is primarily about feeling good and being mobile & flexible. But I want to look good too & by that I mean lean & fit.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 12:00 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
There's a quote attributed to Dick Van Dyke that I love, which goes:

"In my 30's, I exercised to look good.
In my 50's, I exercised to stay fit.
In my 70's, to stay ambulatory.
In my 80's, to avoid assisted living.
Now, in my 90's, I'm just doing it out of pure defiance."
I love that! Although, I'm in my 60's, and there is still some vanity in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Yes!
For me, exercise is primarily about feeling good and being mobile & flexible. But I want to look good too & by that I mean lean & fit.
Yes, that's how I feel too.
Old 08-01-21, 12:09 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I didn't interpret it that way. I know I sometimes beat myself up in the past for not meeting some "perfect" standard and it wasn't a healthy thing to do. I "think" you are saying that you have experienced something similar.
No worries, Jenilu! I didn't take it that way either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
...One of the reason if not the main reason, women go straight to breast reconstruction after mastectomy is vanity and not a healthy love for their bodies as is made by the creator.
Cheryl - I think we may have to agree to disagree on that. I haven't been in that situation personally, but I believe that the loss of a breast could be devastating. Having reconstructive surgery can make a woman feel "whole" again after so much mental, physical and spiritual trauma. I know women who have made both choices, reconstruction or no reconstruction, and they probably wouldn't want to be judged about either choice.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 12:42 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
No worries, Jenilu! I didn't take it that way either.

Cheryl - I think we may have to agree to disagree on that. I haven't been in that situation personally, but I believe that the loss of a breast could be devastating. Having reconstructive surgery can make a woman feel "whole" again after so much mental, physical and spiritual trauma. I know women who have made both choices, reconstruction or no reconstruction, and they probably wouldn't want to be judged about either choice.
I have been in this situation and I have sat with women or heard lots of reasons for not feeling "whole" to me that's like saying a woman doesn't feel whole if they are unable to have children.

I found a lot of them that had reconstruction did it because, they said, they wouldn't feel like a woman.. I say having breasts is not what makes women feel like a woman.. they just are. it also comes from a lack of loving themselves before hearing that news. It's a stage in life I guess.

it's all good no matter which way a person goes as you said, but a lot of it is vanity and lack of love for themselves as they are.. Just explaining how I've been in the environment and I've heard the stories.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 01:03 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:

Thank you for writing this so well. I haven't been in this situation either and don't think losing a breast would be devastating for me, but I certainly can't judge other women in this situation for their choices and the reasons behind them. I'm sure it is an extremely difficult decision for many.

ETA - it's not my business to judge anyone's appearance at Walmart either (or anywhere)

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 01:12 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Very well said.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 01:18 PM  
Bluebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
There's a quote attributed to Dick Van Dyke that I love, which goes:

"In my 30's, I exercised to look good.
In my 50's, I exercised to stay fit.
In my 70's, to stay ambulatory.
In my 80's, to avoid assisted living.
Now, in my 90's, I'm just doing it out of pure defiance."
Love this quote! Thanks for sharing
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 02:34 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
I would agree, not my place to judge. It’s a significant loss & people grieve their losses in different ways.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 03:03 PM  
JENILU

Thank y'all for getting what I was "trying" to say. I am so terrible at explaining.

LOVE that quote!! Somebody said he was awe inspiring in that new Mary Poppins movie by how he could still move. I haven't seen it, but they made me want to!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 05:21 PM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Do you mean the “hate” of not loving their bodies?

There is a good book called Body Kindness. Not saying it’s for you but for anyone who has issues, concern they are holding on to. It shows up also in the structure of our bodies.

I’m just learning this about mine. I’m learning to be kind to my body by exercising for health. And not to even think I could copy the instructor.

One of the reason if not the main reason, women go straight to breast reconstruction after mastectomy is vanity and not a healthy love for their bodies as is made by the creator.
The creator gave me a body with two breasts. That's what he blessed me with before my life-threatening illness and that is what he gave the surgeon the skill to provide to me through reconstructive surgery.

With regard to body kindness, it would be so nice if we didn't pass judgment on each other's choices. Thanks!
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise benefits, motivation, self-acceptance, vanity