Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-25-21, 10:19 AM  
Daphne M

Is anyone still using the Hydrow app? I ask because I did a Hydrow row yesterday that I got a big kick out of.

It was "15 Minute Seat Racing Row" (a "drive") filmed in Seattle. First 1/3 was Laine (front) paired with Nick (back). On the second 1/3, Nick slid up to the front seat, James took the back seat and Laine had disappeared. In the final 1/3rd, James moved to the front seat and Laine was in the back seat and Nick was gone. The idea was the three were competing for best times to earn one of the two seats on a pairs boat. There were 3 intervals of 4 minutes each and the S/Ms were very low for racing: 24-26 strokes per minute. The scenery and camaraderie were fun, but the trash talking was my favorite part of it.

In other Hydrow scoop, a bunch of the Hydrow crew is in Lucerne Switzerland now filming workouts and those are breathtaking. I did a Live row from Lucerne with Laine a couple of days ago and they've all been putting some great pictures up on their Instagrams. (My neighbor Mary is convinced that Nick and Laine are getting romantic and I'm all bubbly and happy, hoping that's true. I'm a sucker for romance.)

And most exciting, Dani from Hydrow is competing at the Paralympics in Tokyo TODAY! I believe she's in a 2-seater. I'll be checking my social media later today to see how she did.

OK, back to work!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-21, 03:09 PM  
Daphne M

Updates:
  • Cleda and I are locked in mortal combat for the position of Bradley Rose Fan Girl. (He's a Peloton bike instructor, Vannie and Pratima.) He's fun, picks good music, has an outlook on life that resonates -- and he calls us "cheeky." What's not to like? (Also he has the same name as my son and they even look alike.)
  • Peloton announced yesterday that they've dropped the price of the basic Peloton bike by $400 and they emailed me proactively to let me know that I'll be getting a refund of $400 for the bike I just bought. So much sad, bad news lately that this felt extra nice that they gave me the refund before I even knew to ask about it.
  • I finally used up all my personal training sessions with Monica that I bought in early 2020. With my Hydrow and Peloton subscriptions, I can't justify the gym membership and personal training expense anymore, so we did our last workout together on Thursday and from here on in, all of our meetings are going to be at breweries and coffee shops. It's the end of an era. My membership started in 2010.
  • I'm slowly getting my running endurance back. (This summer = hamstring tear and mild COVID) I managed to run 2.75 miles yesterday morning without a walk break. It was 96% humidity, so gross, so I am doubly proud.

Latest favorite workouts:
_ Hydrow - "Building Pressure Warmup" - Mike D. Just 5 minutes that gradually builds. I liked that it was raining, I liked the geese swimming, I liked the music and Mike speaks to my heart every time.
_Peloton - It's a given that I'm a fan of most Denis, Ally and Bradley rides. But now I have a favorite core workout. Ben's 10 min MOS Ibiza Chillout Core Strength. On the easy side but somehow it hit me in all the right places.

Do you notice a pattern? Yep, if they're easy, I like 'em!

Onward and upward, everyone!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 08-27-21, 03:16 PM  
Daphne M

Hi Vannie - Just saw your question about a fluid trainer.

It's equipment that enables you to use your road bike like an indoor stationary bike. There are magnetic trainers, wind trainers and fluid trainers. Fluid trainers are the quietest, provide the smoothest rides and feel the most like a real ride.

Mine's a Kurt Kinetic -- here's the latest version of mine. I bought mine in 2004 or 2005 so it is not "smart" like this one.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 08-28-21, 07:17 PM  
Vantreesta

Have barely skimmed the last few days as I was camping up north with my dad and uncle. Had a great time but a bit scary driving home today in a bad storm in a tornado warning. It was dark as night except for a band of light above the horizon and I kept looking for funnel clouds. I even pulled off the side of the road with a bunch of other cars bc the rain was too heavy to see. Thankfully I made it out of that safely and later had completely dry roads.

My dad will be here next week so I haven't figured out what workouts will look like. We only have a few days before he goes back home.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-21, 07:15 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
Updates:

Cleda and I are locked in mortal combat for the position of Bradley Rose Fan Girl. (He's a Peloton bike instructor, Vannie and Pratima.) He's fun, picks good music, has an outlook on life that resonates -- and he calls us "cheeky." What's not to like? (Also he has the same name as my son and they even look alike.)
!
Sorry !!! He tells me every time, "I love you, You know I bloody do!!!!" so I WIN ........ (and he winks at me)

edited to add: The Switzerland ones are not on demand yet. I hope they do put them on (eventually). I have noticed they are A LOT slower to get things on demand than another company we know and love! <3 It looks gorgeous though. Can't wait to try it.

Back to your regularly scheduled program!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 03:19 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
Sorry !!! He tells me every time, "I love you, You know I bloody do!!!!" so I WIN ........ (and he winks at me)
That's weird because -- HE SAYS THAT TO ME TOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda
The Switzerland ones are not on demand yet. I hope they do put them on (eventually). I have noticed they are A LOT slower to get things on demand than another company we know and love! <3 It looks gorgeous though. Can't wait to try it.
They're definitely slower than Peloton to get things on demand. It seems to takes about a month before the LIVE rows show up. Compared to Peloton, they're still so young! Peloton bike hit the market in 2014, while Hydrow rower only hit the market in May 2019.
I really am blown away by all the stats and options that Peloton has integrated into the bike. I'm sure their huge subscriber base helps make it possible to develop all those great options. On the other hand, I like the smaller feel of the Hydrow community and I hope it stays that way for a long time.

I keep learning new things about Peloton. After using the digital app since January 2020, I thought I knew just about everything about the service. Wrong! I spent a good 10 minutes the other morning trying to locate the tread running classes on my bike screen. (It's right next to my treadmill so I can easily see and hear it.) I hit every single icon and vertical dot-dot-dot stack I could find. And people, there are a LOT of options and icons and they're all pretty fantastic. But I could not find the running icon! What the heck? I finally gave up and turned on the Roku and did the Peloton running workout from the big screen TV.

One hour later -- D'OH! Of course it's only on the app or integrated into the (controversial) treadmill. Why would they put it on the bike?

These are my Monday afternoon ramblings. Very disorganized today, can you tell? I'll be back tomorrow and I might make more sense then. Or maybe not, who knows?
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 08-30-21, 07:03 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
That's weird because -- HE SAYS THAT TO ME TOO!
Well, this morning he said that to me, so…

I finished up week 2 of century training. Yesterday I did 25 miles on the spin bike with 2 Leanne classes and 1 Denis. I was supposed to do it Saturday and have a rest day yesterday, but life got in the way of that. So today’s ride ended up being a low-impact easy spin, since it was only 15 hours later. My legs were toast, and I know that absolutely is not how to train, but I do what I can do. Friday is supposed to be nice, so if the forecast holds, I really will do a long ride outdoors on the real bike.

Daphne: I played around with all the features on the Peloton when I used it at the hotel, and I thought it was pretty impressive too. I’m so glad they’re automatically refunding your $400. The company has its flaws, but it also does a lot right.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-21, 10:18 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Hi Vannie - Just saw your question about a fluid trainer.

It's equipment that enables you to use your road bike like an indoor stationary bike. There are magnetic trainers, wind trainers and fluid trainers. Fluid trainers are the quietest, provide the smoothest rides and feel the most like a real ride.

Mine's a Kurt Kinetic -- here's the latest version of mine. I bought mine in 2004 or 2005 so it is not "smart" like this one.
Way fancier than my $50 trainer!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 09-03-21, 12:41 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

I did my long bike ride outside today. The weather was just about perfect! I biked 2:00 and change, 26.3 miles. I’m definitely slower outside than what my spin bike says, but that’s understandable. I rode town to Occoquan Park, which means I had a super-fun long downhill to the river and then a super-hard uphill back to to the main road. I also biked in Burke Lake Park, where I normally run. I didn’t bike on the running trails though, because I hate when other bikes pass me on them. It’s allowed, but it’s annoying. Anyhow, it was tough but felt good. I also learned that no matter how much chamois butt’r I think is enough, I need more. And then probably a little more! My leg muscles are already sore in a way I never get from the spin bike. My goal is to do all my remaining long rides outside and as many others as I can, but since I normally can only fit those rides in at 5:00 am, they’ll still mostly be indoors.

At this rate, I’m looking at minimum 8:00 of riding for the century, plus time spent at rest stops. They give 9:30, so we shall see if I can do this! I keep going back and forth between heck yeah and yikes no.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-21, 11:27 AM  
Vantreesta

Had a good few days with my dad, just not long enough. I wasn't ready for him to leave. Saturday we spent 9 1/2 hours at the MN Ren Fest, most of it with friends, and yesterday we drove down to Des Moines for that fest. Yesterday was beastly hot from the moment we stepped out of the car at 10 AM. Today we're just bumming around. I wanted to go hiking but all the driving and the heat have drained us and feels good to be lazy. I can't get Cyric till this afternoon though and I miss him so much! I had booked the kennel a while back bc I assumed we would be going to my father-in-law's, but it did give us the freedom to stay at the fests longer (cancelling would have still cost me nights on the boarding package bc it was a holiday wknd).

I'm looking forward to getting myself back on track this week. Lots of good stuff has been happening the last couple weeks with camping and time with Dad and friends and everything but I am missing my routine and starting to feel ungrounded again. I'm also excited that I will be putting up my Halloween village this week! Huzzah!