Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-21, 09:57 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Contact lens protein remover

Sorry for the OT thread. I wear contact lenses and have used the Alcon Opti-Free supra clens protein remover for years. It is now discontinued and I haven't been able to find a substitute for it.

I called my opthalmologist's office and they didn't have a recommendation for me. She did call back and say you could still find supra clens on amazon and walmart but now it's out of stock there too. Not sure if I trust e-bay for something like this.

Does anyone know of a good substitute protein remover for contact lenses? If anyone does have a sub I will of course run it by my eye dr's office but since they didn't have a sub I was wondering if there is even one available? And if there isn't, how does one remove protein deposits from their lenses?

Thanks for any suggestions.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 10:27 AM  
sherry7899

My eye doctor gave me a sample set of protein remover last fall. I have not used it yet, but I trust her. I will check the brand and post it.

ETA-darn, it was the same one you have! I am sorry about that. If I can find anything else, I will post.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 11:35 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks, Sherry. The eye dr's office didn't have a substitution so I'm assuming there aren't any. So strange. I said oh I guess it's not really necessary then and she told me that people are still having protein deposits on their lenses. So what are you supposed to do to remove them? She didn't have an answer
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 11:47 AM  
sillygirl

Are daily-disposable contact lenses an option for you? I switched a couple years ago and it's been a game-changer. Always a fresh pair each day and on the days you're home you can choose to just wear eyeglasses. You can stretch your supply by wearing the same contacts a couple extra days. I also put a pair in my purse for emergencies (you never know when a lens will pop out of your eye ). I purchase a year's worth at a time and the brand always seems to have a rebate offer going on. Between the rebate and my insurance co-pay, it comes out to cheaper than when I was purchasing regular (monthly) disposable contact lenses through Costco.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 11:51 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
Are daily-disposable contact lenses an option for you? I switched a couple years ago and it's been a game-changer. Always a fresh pair each day and on the days you're home you can choose to just wear eyeglasses. You can stretch your supply by wearing the same contacts a couple extra days. I also put a pair in my purse for emergencies (you never know when a lens will pop out of your eye ). I purchase a year's worth at a time and the brand always seems to have a rebate offer going on. Between the rebate and my insurance co-pay, it comes out to cheaper than when I was purchasing regular (monthly) disposable contact lenses through Costco.
This. I was having a lot of dry eye from eye strain a couple of years ago (too much computer work!), and I made the switch to dailies and never looked back. I only use a saline rinse on them in the morning, which winds up lasting for MONTHS because I only use a tiny bit, and then boom, fresh lenses every day. And easy to stretch it past a year by wearing glasses at home on occasion. I don't wear them more than one day, but you could if necessary. It's also great if one tears. With monthlies or annuals, if you have a tear in a lens it's a huge deal. With dailies, yes, a tear means you are one day short, but if you schedule your next eye doc visit right, you usually wind up with some extras at the end of the year anyway.

I LOVE 'em. And I have a really complicated prescription, so I know they work for a lot of folks.
Old 05-18-21, 12:10 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I use this stuff: https://www.target.com/p/clear-care-...42#lnk=sametab

Not sure if it's exactly what you want. It mentions "enhances protein removal" and it certainly helps my contacts feel cleaner. I have the 2-week disposables and use just saline every night and this stuff at the one-week mark.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 01:34 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post

Not sure if it's exactly what you want. It mentions "enhances protein removal" and it certainly helps my contacts feel cleaner. I have the 2-week disposables and use just saline every night and this stuff at the one-week mark.
I've worked in eye care for over 20 years and this is what I was going to recommend. Just be sure to read the instructions, as you can't put that solution directly in your eye, it has to neutralize in the case provided.
Old 05-18-21, 01:37 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

similar to what Pratima suggested, look at the active ingredients of the Alcon Opti-Free supra clens and see if there's either another brand name or a "house brand" from the major stores like Target, Walmart (Equate), Costco or Sam's that has the same or similar product.

i stopped wearing contacts years ago, and similar to what sillygirl mentioned, i was using disposable ones near the end of my contact lens era. it helped a lot.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 01:43 PM  
tiletha444

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post
Another daily user here!

I used to have issues with protein build-up on my contacts. Nothing really worked. I switched to dailies and never looked back! I tend to stretch them and wear the same pair for a couple of days, and then toss them. In the spring and fall when my allergies are bad, the fresh, new pair of contacts really help my eyes feel more comfortable when the pollen is super high.

Daily lenses are thinner, but I am only reminded of that when I am cutting onions
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 05:04 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post

This is what I use daily on my 1-month disposables. I had to switch in my late 20s to this type of (hydrogen peroxide) contact solution because ALL other types of contact lens solution no longer were compatible with my eyes all of a sudden--my eyes just could not tolerate contacts any longer--and the eye doctor said to take a few week break and then start using the contact solution linked to above and get a bottle of plain saline to rinse them with in the morning before putting the contacts in (one cheap bottle of generic contact saline lasts a LONG time used this way). This has allowed me to continue wearing contacts.

One time (just once) I somehow managed to squirt the contact solution directly into my eye or I squirted it directly onto a contact lens and put it in my eye (despite the obvious warnings around the top of the bottle). I must have been on autopilot that day. Well, let's just say I've never made that mistake again and I'm glad I had a bottle of saline on hand to rinse my eye out. I thought my eye ball was on fire!

Since I tend toward dry eyes and also tend to wear my contacts too many hours in a day (when I do wear them vs. glasses), the eye doctor also said to use either Opti-Free Pure Moist REWETTING drops or Blink rewetting drops during the day while I have my contacts in. Also, they're expensive, but the other thing that helps my dry eyes is those Refresh eye drops that come in the little single use tubes. I get the heavy duty drops that are thick and almost gelatinous (for when my eyes are SUPER DRY) and whatever regular ones they have on the shelf as long as they are the single use and Refresh brand. I use the Refresh drops at night though, after my contacts are out (not while I'm wearing my contacts).

Lately though, I've just been doing glasses for the most part so it's rare I need the Refresh drops unless I've been doing a lot of up close knitting under my knitting light (it's just a 100w equivalent LED daylight bulb).

Sorry for the dry eye tangent.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contact lenses, contacts, eyes, off topic, off-topic