Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-21-21, 03:14 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Catching up from last week, Sunday I went for an outdoor walk/run (I wasn't planning on improving my time but I did from 45 to 43 minutes!) and Pure Barre Resistance #3, chosen by design because that's the easiest of my Pure Barres and I was pretty wiped from the Cathe Muscle Endurance on Saturday. Then I finished with Cathe Stretch Max for a total 95 minute workout!

Mon-Tues planned rest days

Today: 10 Minutes to a Better Body DVD (upper chapter) with Cindy Whitmarsh for a 35 minute workout. I used 4-5-6# weights and it was my first time trying 6# with my wrist and so far so good! I liked it but she relied a lot on high impact cardio. I think it would have been harder if I could have used heavier weights. I liked that there was some abs at the end.

I will probably skip the lower chapter on 10 Days to a Better Body because I don't usually like to work exclusively lower body (I mean the lower body is already being worked with the cardio/plyos she had me doing today!) but I still have JNL Fusion 10 Minute Total Body and 10 Minute Solution Get Fit mix on my list then I think I'm done with the numbers for my Alphabet Tour! Then I can finally move on to the As LOL.

GD has a lot of talk about two new Cathe DVDs, where she uses the heavy cloth booty band loops! I have been using those for barre work, and it's so much harder than the rubber loops, so excited to see Cathe's take on them (and just the fact that more new DVDs are coming out)!

Eventmom and Buzzer Since we've all done Ttapp lately, I meant to say the other day, doesn't she look a lot like Joyce DeWitt (Janet) from Three's Company? LOL.

Well I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I paid $50 for a habit tracking app? I used it for a few days then fizzled out, so cancelled the subscription although I have it for another 5 months. Thankfully even before I cancelled they refunded me one of the $50 charges, I didn't think I was supposed to be charged both. However, I am still looking for some kind of accountability tracker/app/coach or something (my eating has been really bad lately and the scale is climbing up slowly) so I decided to try out Nerd Fitness coaching. Have you guys ever heard of them? I've followed their newsletter for a few years. They make a lot of Star Wars/Harry Potter/etc jokes and give pretty sensible diet/exercise advice. They offer a coaching app with a live coach that you interact with for diet/exercise/lifestyle goals and it is $192/month or cheaper if you commit to 6 or 12 months. That's definitely an investment for me, but I decided to commit to one month and will see how it goes. Apparently there is a 1-2 week waiting list where they look at my questionnaire and pair me with a coach based on my goals, so I haven't started yet. If I don't like it, oh well, at least I explored that avenue. If I do like it and it gets me back on track with my nutrition and the outside eyes on my 'lifestyle' (stress level, time management, etc.) are worthwhile, then great! As part of the cost, they also have you send them videos of exercises (like me performing a squat, pushups, etc.) and give you form pointers. I told them in my questionnaire I'm happy with my routine and not interested in overhauling my workouts (more interested in diet accountability), but I will take advantage of the form pointers, why not?

Eventmom Yes I think I've done level 2 on that Callanetics DVD and I'm not even sure I've done level 3 but it has to be like the Extreme workout!

I am okay on the Madeline Lewis stretches. I still end up doing a little of my own thing, but enjoy her calm presence and the beautiful outdoor settings.

I used to have a Sarah Ivanhoe DVD a long time ago, I think a Crunch Fitness Joy of Yoga or something? And everyone on VF called it Joy of Downward Dog or something because of course of all the downward dogs LOL. I didn't end up keeping that one.

Buzzer It sounds like you really have a solid routine and motivation focusing on Ttapp! That's great! I'm glad you've been able to reduce puffiness...mine has been really bad with the poor eating lately, UGH I'm so frustrated! I have actually been dry brushing consistently for a few years. I really like it! It gently wakes up my skin in the morning. I've been off and on about doing it on my face (I do it regularly on the rest of my body) because it used to make me break out a little bit, but I haven't had breakouts for a few years now, so may try it again. It's supposed to be good for lymph drainage in your face, and to help promote new skin cells and reduce 'aging.' I didn't used to really worry about aging, but I feel like my face has aged lately-I just look tired all the time-so it's something that's on my mind again.
Old 04-22-21, 11:42 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

MR beauty to the bone workout A upper body + 30 min charlene prickett

ebianco - I actually found the level 3 callenetics countdown similar to the original 1 hour workout, level 2 only has 2 hip/butt exercises and less abs (yeah!). I've never heard of nerd fitness - it is an investment but it works for you then it will be worth it. I'm struggling with sleep and trying to make finding a solution to waking up at 4am my priority ...

hi buzzer!
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 02:35 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

Today I did 10 Minute Solution 5 Day Get Fit Mix with Amy Bento, who I have admittedly been lukewarm on in the past. I chose it knowing it would be easier because my legs (even more than my arms) were sore from yesterday! So many plyos yesterday. I did all five chapters (kickbox cardio, total body sculpt, fat blasting intervals which was supposed to be toning+cardio but was mostly cardio, the abs, and the yoga) but I skimmed through the abs and yoga and squeezed it all into 40 minutes. It was definitely too easy even though I knew it would be easier, and I was a little let down, but about 30 minutes later I felt really rejuvenated and not worn down. It gave me pause because it was to feel energized and refreshed and maybe I should mix in more much easier workouts?

Eventmom Ah that's good to know about the Callanetics DVD. I remember the Level 1 seemed like ALL abs so glad that level 2 didn't have as much! I am hoping the coaching will be a good investment. If not, I'm definitely not shy to cancel after one month! As I'm on the waiting list, I'm thinking about what I want to get out of it. I want someone to be accountable to, but also not someone to just tell me what to do. LOL! I will probably be a difficult client.

I hope you are able to improve your sleep!

Buzzer waves!
Old 04-23-21, 07:42 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp Tempo 2 (for real this time)... DONE!

So when I did "tempo 2" before, apparently I had done tempo torso. I love torso apparently! I really felt that one. So anyhow, yesterday I wanted to do that workout again, and pulled out tempo 2. That was NOT the workout I did before! It was good, however it was more like an extendo 15 minute basic workout.

Tempo 2 had a lot of exercises in it, and some really great side stretches! I really feel like I need those. it wasn't the workout I thought I was doing, but it was a good workout. 49 minutes long. So I bounced on my rebounder for about 7 minutes afterwards while I watched her give form tips. Her weight definitely changed through the years. She was always slender though.

Doggone it, Ebianco, now I will always see Janet from Threes Company! She does look like her!! Luckily I didn't hate Janet, so it's fine. She even kinda acts like Janet! I mean, has the same mannerisms. Cracked me up!

I'm not sure I'll get a ttapp in today, probably just a 15minute one later in the day. We have to leave about 8am to go to a "field trip", and I slept until 6. I still have to have my coffee, and have to wake up LB in about 20 minutes. If we get back early enough and I have some energy, I'll do a workout. I do have a 14 day goal, since that's the "lose 3-4 sizes" protocol. I doubt I will lose that much, however I am not beyond trying!

Last night Eugene woke me up at 1:45am to go on the deck. I was awake for about 1 1/2 hours, then I slept on the couch because DH informed me earlier that the bears are awake. Both of them went out, and Otis woke me up at 3:30 to come in. Then I woke up at 6 for good. I actually slept last night! It was broken sleep, and I took 10mg of melatonin when I went to bed, and another 10mg at 2am, but I slept!! More melatonin than they say to take, but I needed to make sure I slept becuase I will not have an opportunity to nap today.

So when I was thinking of what to do when my 14 days are done of ttapp and I move on to every other day, I was thinking of Callanetics and wondering if that would be too similar. I will probably do weight lifting, however if you guys keep talking Callanetics, I bet I do that!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 12:07 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Happy Friday!

I was on GD and saw a thread about a new Shaun T workout, and there was a freebie on youtube so I decided on a whim to do that workout today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9annvEamTI) plus Baron Baptiste the Unlocking Athletic Power yoga workout, first 20 minutes, for an overall 50 minute workout. The Shaun T workout was fun but I won't lose sleep from fear of missing out-LOL. If I want more from him I should revisit my CIZE workouts. I wanted something yoga and I was pleased with Baron today, just the right thing! Both these guys make hilarious statements in their workouts.

I plan to do another endurance Cathe tomorrow, haven't figured out which yet, maybe one of the High Step workouts, or a PHA? And then walk/run outside (weather permitting, it's gotten chillier here lately!) and Pure Barre on Sunday.

Eventmom waves!

Buzzer Haha isn't it funny about Janet from Threes Company? LOL. I also think the lead from Firm Volume 3 looks like Laurie Metcalf (Aunt Jackie) from Rosanne and that Rebekah Sturkie from the pink Firms looks like Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley from the Harry Potter movies). There may be more lookalikes but those are the ones that come to mind!
Old 04-23-21, 03:27 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

the second beauty to the bone workout lower body + youtube walk

I actually slept until 5am today - I've got back to logging calories and upped the number of calories I'm aiming for to see if it helps my sleep. I still would like to be a lower weight but not sleeping is causing so many other issues, I'll try this number for a bit and see what happens.

ebianco - yes she does look like Joyce DeWitt! LOL buzzer - we'll all be thinking that now. Shaun has good motivating but not over the top personality in that workout.

buzzer - I use 5mg of melatonin haven't tried going to 10.... the 15 min ttapp is great for busy days!
Old 04-25-21, 10:04 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp Tempo Torso... DONE!
Ttapp Debulk at the barre... dONE!

Now I remember why I thought barre would be a natural segue from Ttapp! I had my barre set down too low (by the way, the barre is on Debulk) so it wasn't as effective, if I have a higher barre, or set mine up higher, it'll be better. She does a lot of lean forward with your hands on the barre like in a down dog, and that wasn't easy with a barre that moves. It's a good workout, and I like the barre because it does offer a good way to get those isometric contractions. I see now why I went to barre workouts when I got tired of ttapp! Just do ttapp form with the barre. Leverage isometrics!

Tempo torso was good of course, because I like that workout. I do get some sciatica, usually on my right side but it can happen on either. This really stretches those muscles and I can feel it stretch. Lots of side stretches (which in my mind means that my sides will flatten out, right???) and twists. All of which I love. I sweat a lot in these workouts!

I think I am really getting the hang of this ttapp form. I took Friday and Saturday off from workouts, however Saturday we had to get up early and get moving, and we walked around a LOT. So I did my ttapp form while walking the whole time, so I don't know if that counts as a day off or perhaps a "walking workout". My abs were sore after the day! It sure felt good though, and I felt taller.

Yesterday the whole week caught up with me, and instead of working out I went back to bed at 7am. I was pooped. I slept off and on until 11:30 when DH woke me up. I dragged around all day. I did try to do my ttapp form when I walked, and some exercises in my kitchen while I cooked, but I took another day off from the workouts. I am saying I feel stronger, I feel taller, and I am glad it is starting to be easier to keep the form when I walk. I don't feel like I am walking robotic or anything, just taller, tighter in my torso, and shoulders back. The achiness in my left shoulder is still there when I try to sleep with my arm under my pillow, but I can deal with it still. I am trying to incorporate the form into all of my activities.

I kept thinking yesterday that I am 8 workouts (now 9 workouts) into the "bootcamp" I decided to do, and I feel like my form is about 50% there. I have some way to go, but now that I am getting the tight and strong torso back, I am realizing what I used to have! I used to have such a strong midsection. I didn't realize how much I had lost it. I am getting it back though! I am very grateful for this ttapp I am doing.

She talks of fascia too, and I think that after 20 plus years of beating up my body with weights and working out, I bet a lot of my fascia is restricted. So I am working on that too. When I don't see progress in my weight or clothes fitting, I am reminding myself I am getting my strong core back, and hopefully unknotting my fascia. Get everything running smooth again. Perhaps it is tied to my sleep issues, who knows. I am willing to try and see if I can undo 20 years of body damage!!

I have decided I will give ttapp until the end of the summer, then decide what I want to do next. I chose that length because I think it will take that long to get my core back to where I want it, and keep it there. Not Ttapp exclusively, but ttapp alternating with probably weight lifting. I really want my tight core back! Iforgot how good that feels. My back feels good and my abs feel good... and seriously, that bloated feeling is almost gone. I didn't like ttapp the first time around, now I love it. of course, my timeline is different (I wanted fast results before, like the book and DVD's promise!) and my goals are different. Undo all I've done, and get back a good base.

Eventmom: 5 mg melatonin did nothing for me. I give 5 to LB if she can't sleep. It knocks her right out!! 10 knocks me out and does a good job of keeping me asleep anymore, however if I wake up and take 5, I won't even relax. I need 10 to sleep!! It works though. I love that stuff. I hate that we are both battling the sleep monster. I almost dread nights because I don't know how I will sleep, and that seriously determines the next day. I hate it.

Ebianco: I remember there was a lady in the original buns of steel that reminded me of Peggy Bundy (I don't remember the name of that sitcom though). I love seeing the "looks like"s!! It cracks me up! As long as it isn't "looks like" someone that's super annoying or a serial killer or something.
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 04-25-21, 05:53 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - upper body of beauty to the bone + card
today - 20 min yoga, took a jumping lesson with my horse, ttapp 15 min +

buzzer - I'm glad you reminded me about ttapp- the 15 min workout is really great after I've jumped my horse. It takes so long to haul back and forth to my lesson I don't have much time, but some sort of workout helps stretch out my back and get in something to balance out the fact that horse riding creates imbalances. Talking about Fascia probably need to pull out my melt roller.

hi ebianco !
Old 04-25-21, 10:21 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all!

Yesterday I did Cathe High Step Challenge, I really like this one, it has tough but brief cardio bursts and a lot of endurance strength moves including tons of tall leg presses. It's not AS tough as Cathe's Muscle Endurance but it was still a great challenge!

Today the weather was on the verge of being too cold, but the sun peeked out so I still went out for my run/walk (43:45 almost as short as last week and I was definitely not rushing as my calves were spent from yesterday) then Pure Barre Resistance #1 which was good.

Eventmom I hope your sleep has improved! I haven't used melatonin in a long time. Occasionally I pull out a Z-Quil to help me sleep but lately I've been sleeping pretty good on my own thankfully. I hope your calorie adjustment makes you sleep better!

Buzzer You sound like you're in an awesome spot with Ttapp and feeling stronger and tighter, and less bloated! I cut out all junk food three days ago in a in effort to feel less bloated, but still waiting, ugh. I'm reminding myself I need to be patient.

I only have the buns of steel workout with the guy - Greg Smithy? Is she in that one? I actually really like that actress (Katey Sagal) and you're thinking of Married...with Children! I used to get a huge kick out of that show LOL! She JUST started a new drama show that is based on the life of Erin Brockovich called Rebel. It is only 3 or 4 episodes in. I like it! She also plays Dan Conner's love interest in The Conners (the new Rosanne show without Rosanne). Anyway I'll have to keep an eye out for her next time I do the Greg Smithy DVD!
Old 04-26-21, 10:11 AM  
Buzzer

Ttapp tempo arms... DONE!
Ttapp brain body fitness sequence 1... DONE!

Tempo arms was surprisingly hard! I know my arms are all bound up, because I do this workout and it seems so easy, but it's so hard for me. I have so much trouble keeping my form. I feel like I am concentrating and working so hard I forget to do the knees out/tummy in/shoulders back part of it!!

My knees were aching for a while doing ttapp, but the tip I read to turn out from the hips rather than the knees or ankles helped. My knees aren't so sore anymore. My hips feel it more though!

Brain Body fitness was great. Lots of stretching which was so nice. Lady bug was done in parts as stretches, then as a whole at the end. Lots of full body work, and a nice compliment to arms. It was all on the floor, and really felt nice. Work though!

We spent yesterday working on the garage, so I loaded 2 pallets of blocks onto a dolly and carted it into the workspace. Then I handed DH blocks to build. So good workout there too. We have 3 pallets of blocks left to use, and I am dying to load them up and move them in so they can be gone!! I was telling DH I remember how excited I was when the blocks were delivered. If I only knew what lay ahead for us! Now I am excited to have then almost all gone, and the garage is starting to look like a garage. However, once the blocks are done, we put the top on and do the concrete floor, then it's windows and doors, electrical work, plumbing, then fixtures. So still a lot more to do. However, the walls are almost done!!!!! Such a long trek.

LB spent the weekend playing with her BFF, and so today we are doing school and violin and it's a let down. HA! Partying too much! it's been good though.

For some reason I am sleeping like a champ. LB and I spent the last 2 nights in the camper, and I have slept almost 7 hours each night. That's unheard of! Tonight we may go to the house because it's supposed to snow tomorrow, however I am actually thinking of sleeping out again because the snow comes later and the night should be warm still. I just want to see if I sleep a lot again!

Eventmom; I'm glad I am inspiring you! HA! that 15 minute workout is tough.

Ebianco: It is the Greg Smithy one. Next time you do it, you'll see her! I love her. We watched that show long ago too. It always made me laugh!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14