Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-17, 06:08 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Technical question

So when you download something to your computer (not your phone) how do you watch it on your TV? Thanks

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:13 AM  
sherry7899

Did you download to a laptop? I'm a tech idiot, but my son uses an HDMI cable to hook up his laptop to his tv. However, he has a Dell laptop, and a regular HDMI cord did not work. A tech friend of ours suggested a specific HDMI cable (which was only about $10 on Amazon) and that worked. If you have a Dell laptop, I can check our order and post the name of the HDMI cable.

Sherry

ETA:

this is the one we ordered. It is temporarily out of stock, but they have other lengths in stock:

AmazonBasics DisplayPort to HDMI Cable - 6 Feet

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:21 AM  
lithium

The easiest way nowadays is using an HDMI cable to connect the HDMI ports on your computer and your TV. Play the video on your computer, the TV will act as a monitor for the computer with both image and sound.
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:49 AM  
bex

I believe you can also use Freemake (which is free software) to burn it onto a DVD that you can then play as normal.

I'm a Mac user and have never used Freemake, but wasn't someone on these boards an expert? Was it Barb S?
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 03:01 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
I believe you can also use Freemake (which is free software) to burn it onto a DVD that you can then play as normal.

I'm a Mac user and have never used Freemake, but wasn't someone on these boards an expert? Was it Barb S?
I'm not Barb, but I use Freemake to download things - mostly from YouTube - and to burn them from my computer to a DVD. It works great for me.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 05:13 PM  
MelissaA

I ordered an HDMI cable from Amazon to watch my computer videos on my TV, but I cannot make it work. I get the background just fine, but the videos never show up on the TV screen. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
MelissaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 05:55 PM  
bubbles76

I am a Mac user, and have to use two cables to connect from my Mac to the tv. One is the adapter, one is the video cable. My mac is old; you can probably only use one cable now.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 06:19 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaA View Post
I ordered an HDMI cable from Amazon to watch my computer videos on my TV, but I cannot make it work. I get the background just fine, but the videos never show up on the TV screen. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
You must change the "source" from which your TV is receiving images. On our remote there is a button titled "Source". That is where we go to toggle between TV, DVD and "HDMI 1", etc. We have a Samsung TV. If yours is different you may have to read your TV manual ��

Hope this helps. If it doesn't then check to make sure everything is plugged in correctly.

I love streaming videos on a 46" screen!

Added: If you are seeing the image on another monitor and not the TV..... then you need to use your mouse to drag the image to the other TV screen.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 07:31 PM  
alisoncooks

Well, I have my desktop computer in my kitchen (Mac mini). I share videos to my AppleTV (living room tv) via the wifi/Bluetooth/something-or-another. So that's how *I* do it, wirelessly.

Before we had AppleTV, it required a cable.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-17, 08:21 PM  
MelissaA

carly,

Hi. Yes, I have the source set to HDMI, and the computer background shows on the TV, but that's it, and there's no sound - on either the TV or the computer. As long as they are hooked up to each other, there is no sound. Something isn't hooked up correctly.
MelissaA is offline   Reply With Quote