Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-15, 11:32 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
I do swings with the "baby" bells all the time. Using proper form I have never hurt myself.
When I first tried k-bell swings, I used 5-lb bells. I didn't hurt myself and my glutes, inner thighs and hamstrings were plenty sore for days.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 11:53 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
When I first tried k-bell swings, I used 5-lb bells. I didn't hurt myself and my glutes, inner thighs and hamstrings were plenty sore for days.
I don't think it's ever a bad idea to use lighter weights, whether it's straight lifting or kettlebell swings.

One thing I've learned in my years of working out is that heavier is not always better. What is most important is proper form. If you sacrifice form for heavier weights, you're not doing yourself any favors!
Old 01-29-15, 12:31 PM  
horusosiris

I find Suzanne Bowen's leg workouts to be really effective inner thigh toners. She also has some that specifically target the inner thighs.

Andrea Orbeck's Butt and Thigh workout is also very good for the inner thighs.

I also like the Essentric Barre workout
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 12:49 PM  
PennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I find Suzanne Bowen's leg workout to be really effective inner thigh toners. She also has some that specifically target the inner thighs.

Andrea Orbeck's Butt and Thigh workout is also very good for the inner thighs.

I also like the Essentric Barre workout
I'm glad that so many of the answers are for videos i already have, now i just need to get busy!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 02:54 PM  
PennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
you can sub a small air-filled ball for the adduction moves, and use a band tied into a loop for abduction. also, a dumbbell on the moving leg works for resistance during abduction.

callanetics has the move where you're pressing your legs toward eachother with the legs of a chair as resistance. the base move is that your legs are flat on the floor pressing toward the chair legs. the more advanced move is raising your legs off of the floor, but still pressing on the chair legs for resistance.

callanetics has the other move where you're holding onto something behind you (large piece of furniture) while sitting on the floor, your back is toward that large piece of furniture that you're holding onto. you brush your legs inward toward each other by about 10", then outward. there's no ring or resistance between your legs. this move actually works the abs, but the inner thighs get a workout too.

winsor buns and thighs has the clamshell move. no resistance gadget is used, but you get quite a workout.
I have the am/pm and the quick stomach, hips and behind, and legs callanetics and the winsor videos.
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 03:02 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I don't think it's ever a bad idea to use lighter weights, whether it's straight lifting or kettlebell swings.

One thing I've learned in my years of working out is that heavier is not always better. What is most important is proper form. If you sacrifice form for heavier weights, you're not doing yourself any favors!
I agree about proper form but with kettlebell swings it is easier to have bad form with a lighter bell because you can just lift the bell in front instead of swinging it. Notice I said CAN that doesn't mean you will. You would not be able to lift a heavy bell in front of you so you would have to use the correct hip thrust move. I think that is what Shammy was getting at.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 03:05 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inchworm View Post
The Squeeze workout has some great inner thigh moves... Especially when she does the bridge work against the wall while squeezing ball between legs. Ouchy,
Yes I remember this. Ouchy is right. I actually kept Squeeze for the bridge at the wall section.
Once upon a time I got the same effect doing Sylwia's Tonique mat workout.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 03:32 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I agree about proper form but with kettlebell swings it is easier to have bad form with a lighter bell because you can just lift the bell in front instead of swinging it. Notice I said CAN that doesn't mean you will. You would not be able to lift a heavy bell in front of you so you would have to use the correct hip thrust move. I think that is what Shammy was getting at.
Yes, thanks for clarifying. Swings are a lower body exercise, not upper. I think with a light weight people tend to make it an upper body movement, wherein I think you can hurt yourself.

Again, that's my $.02

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 03:40 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
Yes, thanks for clarifying. Swings are a lower body exercise, not upper. I think with a light weight people tend to make it an upper body movement, wherein I think you can hurt yourself.

Again, that's my $.02
I agree with you, Sue. I've injured myself on two separate occasions doing swings with a 15 lb kettlebell. A few years ago I injured my lower back and just recently my mid back. Jeez, you'd think I would have learned by now . I'm ok now but still. I think it's hard to get the form right when the weight isn't heavy enough.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 03:53 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

This is an older workout, but try the Ball Jam Mix from Athletic Step Jam Cia 2804 with Sharon Money Twombly!!!!!
Will set your inner thighs on FIRE!!!!!!!

Uses a stability ball.
Will set your inner thighs in FIRE!!!! (oh yeah, I already said that).

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inner thighs, thigh slimming, thigh toning