Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-10, 01:34 PM  
Aurora C.

Question Upper Arm & Inner Thigh Trimming Suggestions PLEASE!

Hi! I've been out of the loop & off these boards for a while, but since we've finally got a day that looks like rain here I found my way back!

I am a long-time runner with somewhat overdeveloped quads (+ I hate squats!) & an intermediate/advanced exerciser. For the past 2 months or so I've been getting back to weights because I've apparently got a bunion that makes running painful (also the weather's so hot & the inner thigh & upper arm chafing's so unbearable that I've switched to swimming for the summer) & I generally prefer to be more lean, cut & muscular anyway (I got a little doughy over the winter!).

I do tend to bulk up or get kind of "boxy" easily so it's important for me to build lengthened, stretched muscles. Unfortunately my budget can't handle the Pilates apparatus classes I once loved & I have low tolerance & get very impatient & yawny doing Pilates type exercise at home - it just feels too easy to cheat too. I think I've got that covered as I've started doing Bikram yoga pretty regularly since back in Jan/Feb - though now that it's summer I'm about to start doing it at home without air conditioning (awaiting the Hot Yoga Dr's Master Class set!) & letting that suffice til Fall.

Anyway, my feet are somewhat problematic, making it hard to be on my toes as in at least one of the Bikram postures (chair pose on toes) & definitely can't do fast lunges - if at all.

For the past 2 months I've relied on some old favorites: The Firm Parts Floor Legs (which I bought on ebay & had put onto dvd since it's only available in vhs & I only have a dvd player!)...& Firm Parts Upper Body & Tony Horton's 8-Minute Abs for the rest of my body. As you can imagine, after 3-6 times a week of these for 2 months, although I've increased my weights from 5 & 8 lbs to 8s, 10s, 15s & 20s, I'm quite bored & afraid I'll lose momentum.

I generally don't have more than 30 (40 tops) minutes to devote to working out & I'm seeking your experienced suggestions for the best inner thigh & upper arm trimmers, as well as whatever will put a nice broad cap on my shoulders. Thanks so much, what a great community!
Aurora C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 02:45 PM  
neatski

Jari Love's workouts are chaptered, so you can tailor them to your needs. Also, Get Extremely Ripped and Get Extremely Ripped 1000 are both broken up into two 30 minute workouts. It's the weights in those videos that have really leaned me up. You are going to be doing a lot of squats and lunges, though. I haven't gotten tired of them because after doing them a few times, I mute them and just put on my own music, so I even look forward to them.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 03:47 PM  
Aurora C.

Thanks! I'll look into those, I have some Jari Love's hanging around somewhere, I think it was the dark set & probably the squats & lunges that threw me off those DVDs. Unfortunately, due to my unbendable foot, trick knees (& pretty poor balance!), lunges are wasted on me...I simply can't perform them. I avoid squats too because my quads are already more bulging from running than I prefer. But JL's workouts probably will benefit my upper body...I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

...okay, I dug them out. I have Get Ripped, Get Ripped to the Core, & Get Ripped Slim & Lean. I just joined an exercise DVD rental service that works like netflix, I'll see if they have the ones you mentioned so I can try before I buy. ;-)
Old 07-10-10, 04:07 PM  
videofit

Margaret Richard has floorwork in just about every DVD she has. She may be still having a sale for two hour-long workouts per DVD for $33. I'm not positive, just doing this from memory.

I used to love Firm Parts Floor Legs and that is why I like Margaret, because she is similar in style.
Old 07-10-10, 10:15 PM  
Ann1964

I hate to sound like a broken record, but barre workouts slimmed down by inner thighs and running.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 11:37 PM  
sophie kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1964 View Post
I hate to sound like a broken record, but barre workouts slimmed down by inner thighs and running.
Ditto for me too on the broken record, but I will also suggest barre work. Particularly the new Bar Methods and the Core fusion dvds. They focus more on glute work and leaning out the shape of the thighs. They also incorporate lots of stretching. It sounds like that's what you're looking for.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 08:59 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1964 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie kat View Post
Ditto for me too on the broken record, but I will also suggest barre work. Particularly the new Bar Methods and the Core fusion dvds. They focus more on glute work and leaning out the shape of the thighs. They also incorporate lots of stretching. It sounds like that's what you're looking for.
I third these recommendations and would add Classical Stretch/Essentrics.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 09:16 AM  
Aurora C.

Thanks! I'll look into these as well...I have Core Fusion Thighs & Glutes ordered & on its way. The only thing that concerns me is my suspicions on the energy/pacing/tempo/music of these barre type workouts...I tend to like a more enthusiastic, energy-inducing workout rather than anything too calming or soothing that might send me back to bed (ha-ha!). Are there any out there that like that?
Old 07-11-10, 09:36 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora C. View Post
Thanks! I'll look into these as well...I have Core Fusion Thighs & Glutes ordered & on its way. The only thing that concerns me is my suspicions on the energy/pacing/tempo/music of these barre type workouts...I tend to like a more enthusiastic, energy-inducing workout rather than anything too calming or soothing that might send me back to bed (ha-ha!). Are there any out there that like that?
Sounds like Tonique might be more your speed (for lower body). Or even BBL, which sort of blends tonique/barre.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 09:46 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora C. View Post
Physique 57 and Cardio Barre are fast-paced workouts with Physique 57 having the best music.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30-40 minute workouts, inner thighs, shoulder caps, strength training, upper arms