Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-15-21, 05:38 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, if you are talking about the two Season 4 episodes, I like those too. In fact, in this new "backache" practice, I incorporated some of the moves that Miranda does on hands and knees (basically cat pose with the hands closer to the knees).

Don't beat me up...but I rarely wear sunscreen. I have on a few occasions this summer when I knew I was going to be in the direct sun for an extended period, and I have a basic facial sunblock that I sometimes use. I know the recommendation is to wear sunscreen every day on the face, outdoors or no, but my skin tends towards oily, and I just don't like using a lot of products on my skin and chancing breakouts.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 05:57 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, yes I was talking about the 2 season 4 CS episodes.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 06:50 PM  
JustSandra

Hi all!

I neglected to post

Saturday's Workout: The Knee routine from Total Body Solution, followed by Total Stretch from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3. Unfortunately my knee is still barking at me.

Today's Workout: Upper Body from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3.

Pat58: Winsor Buns & Thighs is my go-to when I'm not up to doing much exercise-wise. It always surprises me how I do feel it later!

Yogapam: Sounds like so much fun with your family!

Garrie: Thanks for sharing the pics of your new exercise space! It looks so well-appointed. Hope all goes well next week with the fall rush, and for your manager.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 09:55 PM  
Garrie A.

Today I just wanted to dance so I did:
-Christi Taylor's Still Jumpin' (more like Still Dancin' )

I'm not a cardio junkie but Christi's workouts are some of my most enjoyable cardio workouts. The choreography is fun, the music makes me want to move, and I love Christi's personality.

Beth: Yes, I have six kettlebells--10 lbs./dark purple, 15 lbs./blue, 20 lbs./black, 25 lbs./green, 30 lbs./light purple, and 35 lbs. (the cast iron one). I first only had the 10 lb. KB (which I bought at Goodwill to use with KCM's Strength & Stamina) but it was too light for the swings that she did. Before I bought those I got 15 lb. KB at TJ Maxx but it was one of those big plastic covered ones. Every year I like to try something different fitness-wise (last year it was spinning), and this year I wanted to try kettlebells. My first KB DVD was Brook Benten's Kettlebell Butts & Guts (ok, the name drew me in) and while it was a good workout, the workout wasn't what I was looking for (it was a KB fusion workout with a light bell, and Brook and crew had bad form on the swings). Then I tried The Kettlebell Way Volume 1 (based on VF recommendations including your review ) and fell in love with KBs. That prompted me to check out other KB DVDs (Lauren Brooks, Sarah Lurie, more Anthony Diluglio, and Andrea DuCane). After doing AOS Providence/KBW 1 and Lauren's first DVD, I found that I prefer the traditional hardstyle KB workouts to the KB lite/fusion workouts. Although I did buy Linda/Barlates Barre Bell HiiT and KCM's Slim Sculpting in two of Mary's sales out of curiosity. I bought 15 and 20 lb. KBs, but quickly needed a 25 for double arm swings and some back and leg work. Then I needed a 30 for one arm rows and a few weeks ago decided to invest in a 35 (just to have on hand--I did use it for the sumo deadlifts in Providence yesterday). Re sunscreen, I don't wear it although I did when SO and I went to a fair two weeks ago.

Beth and Paine: SO usually walks on his lunch break although lately he's been coming home to see me . When we were setting up the rooms he tried my bike and said he wanted to use it in the mornings before work. He, of course, hasn't done that yet. I tried to tell him that he needs to try weight training but he said (paraphrasing here) "I can't do those workouts you do, having to pick weights up from the floor and put them down again." Ummm.....ok.......you work in the back for a department store, unloading trucks and stuff .

Sandra: Sorry to hear about your knee. Hope it improves soon.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Joyce Vedral "Mix-It-Up" Rotation

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 08:56 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Happy Monday everyone! This is my last one off.

Sandra, sorry that the knee isn't healing as quickly as you might like. Do you think you might need a medical consult at some point?

Garrie, now that I am getting back into KBs again, I'm jealous of your collection! Great idea to check Goodwill though; I will start doing that. I definitely prefer more hardstyle workouts too - I want a KB workout that really works better with a KB, not something I could just do with a DB. My KBs are 12kg (I think about 25 lb) and 12kg. Since I have been doing more KB work, I've been mostly using the 12kg, going back to the 8kg largely for the more cardio-type KB moves.

LOL about your SO exercising...or not exercising. My DH has said something like "I'll start working out when I need to" - umm, isn't it too late then? Luckily, his weight is not an issue and all of his physical parameters are good (eg, cholesterol, BP). Also, I do the cooking, so I can at least make sure he is eating (mostly) healthy.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-16-21, 09:03 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oh well, Happy Moan Day! I have a feeling this will be a better week that last. Finger crossed. XXX Yesterday I accomplished:

~ My own yin practice, same as prior day
~ GYM for 10 minutes recumbent, 10 arc trainer, 60 full body dumbells and weight machines
~ 6,000 steps for day

I'll come back to chat in a bit ...
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 10:01 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

A quick check in with yesterday’s workouts:
~Body Groove: 20 min
~Essentrics: 30 min with Gail
~MFML: Supine Hips & Lower Spine

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 10:21 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Give Me Strength (Upper Body work)
Beth's BANISH YOUR OWN BACKACHE yoga practice
Essentrics

Beth, I liked your backache yoga practice--thank you!

Garrie, tell your SO that if a 65 year old wussy like me can do weights, he can too! He can workout one upper body part per day and it only needs to be 3 to 5 minutes long. Eg: he can do tricep dips off a chair in the morning before work. The next morning he could do bicep curls, etc.

Sandra, I hope your knee feels better soon.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 06:57 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Today's Workout: The Knee routine from Total Body Solution, plus Winsor Pilates Buns & Thighs. I also walked outside for maybe an hour this morning.

Beth: I'm holding off on a medical consult re my knee, at least for now, because I figure the doctor will only tell me to do what I am already doing! Although I can tell I did *something* to it, and there is a low-level nagging pain, I can still do all my usual activities (just not as fast or as gracefully ). If I don't see some improvement in a couple of months I'll reconsider.

Garrie: Over the years I've been approached by a few friends and family members who want to know about getting started on a fitness program. I'll offer advice and/or lend them an exercise DVD -- and they never, ever follow through. So I now figure everyone needs to find their own motivation for making such a commitment. Sounds like your SO already has a pretty physical job, and he does walk. At least if/when he does want to embark on a formal fitness regimen, everything he needs is right there under your roof!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 08:19 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, I don't blame you for not wanting to talk to a professional. I've never gone for that kind of injury either, especially give that soft tissue stuff seems so hard to explain/diagnose/treat. I hope you own rehab starts paying off more!

Paine, glad to hear that you liked the back practice! It's going to be hard to continue to film workouts now that I am back at work.

But...
...it looks like I might be continuing to work from home 1-2 days/week, even after the semester starts (1st day of classes is Monday August 30). I think HR is encouraging this in part to ease the transition and in part because covid cases are on the rise again. Nothing is decided yet though, so we'll see.

Follow me @YogiBethC