Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-06, 03:10 PM  
pharma_gal

Kathy Smith-LWTLW or SlimDown Circuit

Hello,

Im looking for a strength workout by Kathy. Do u think I should get the orginal LWTLW or should I get her Super Slimdown circuit which has Secrets to gret UB and LB?? Do any of these strength workouts contain any ab work?Pls give me some suggestions.

TIA,
R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 03:51 PM  
ms1971

HI.
I have the old secrets to a great body and they move pretty slow because you have to watch the demo and instructions before each exercise. The legs do have a few exercises I haven't seen before. I like the LWTLW better, it goes much faster. I think it has a bonus ball workout on the dvd to, I have vhs.

Mel
ms1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 03:55 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Okay, I'll try to describe these

First of all, LWTLW is about 47 min. long, which includes the 7 min. "bonus" ab section at the end. there is no warmup, you have to do it on your own, so include that in your figuring. The dvd is chaptered so you can do just upper body, just lower body, or just abs. I feel the exercises are very effective, & I could use heavy weights, although, there is an option to use smaller weights if you want--you just follow the people on the righthand side of the screen. They do pulsing moves with smaller weights. Those of us using heavy weights just do normal time lifting & stretching while the others aredoing pulses. All the exercises are basic, tried & true, nothing modern or balancing or anything like that. I love this workout & feel that I have done somthing when I'm done, but I don't feel like I've killed myself (which for me, is perfect.) The one thing about this workout is Kathy is very animated & loud. I don't like it, but I can usually get used to anything if I like a workout, & I've got used to it here.

Okay, for Super Slimdown Circuit, you get 3 workouts on the dvd: Secrets of a Great Upper Body (which includes abs & lower back work)--about 33 min., Secrets of a Great Lower Body--about 40 something min., & Peak Fat Burning, a hi/lo interval workout, that has 26 min. of aerobics, plus a warmup & cooldown & stretch, making it about 40 min. total. The SGB workouts have warmups & cooldowns (stretches) too. On this dvd, you can pick individual body parts to do out of the SGB sections, so that's really nice. I had this set on VHS, but I had to fast forward, etc. to make the lower body section shorter (I almost always have only 1 hour to exercise at a time), so I rarely did it. These workouts are heavy weight oriented also, & there are intros to each section showing the body part that will be worked & the exrcise we'll be doing. I followed some VFer's advice & started doing the exercises during the intros & this increases the intensity of these workouts, & I highly recommend it. These are basic exercises again, nothing fancy. Kathy is subdued here, the set is nice & airy (it's filmed to look airy, I think, hard to describe), & I liked the music okay, too.
The Peak Fat Burning workout on the SSC dvd is great. It's a solid intermediate/low advanced hi/lo interval workout. It is chaptered: warmup, workout, cooldown (so much for this being a cardio/weight circuit dvd ) I know people will say it isn't super intense, but I can get my heartrate up there. It isn't as intense as Project You Long & Lean, but it's okay. I only wish it was longer. Over the years I have come to become a big Kathy Smith fan, the moves in her workouts is very natural & comfortable to my body. It might be because she's tall, I do better with the taller instructors. I am not very tall (about 5'6.5"), but I have a real long torso, so maybe that makes a difference.

Anyway, if you want my advice on which dvd to get, I'd say Super Slimdown Circuit, because you get the extra workout, but if it's possible, get both. They're both solid workouts.

I hope this helps!

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 05:20 PM  
sundari

Jennifer - Are all of these three workouts complete versions of the original on the "Super Slimdown Circuit"? Or are they cut short on the DVD?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-06, 07:31 AM  
pharma_gal

Jennifer,
Thnk u so much...I think I will get the SSC for now...Sounds good to me..Thanks!!
R.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 08:59 AM  
pattys53

I would get the super slim down circuit. I have been using this dvd and I am am really getting good results from this. I have been doing the BLF training method with this dvd, and have been adding some yoga after I do these workouts. They only last about 40 min. each. So, it allows me to get some yoga in, which I am truly loving right now,

Pat
pattys53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 04:47 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

You could also get Rules of Fat Burning. It has the upper and lower body workouts from LWTLW as well as additional cardio from Aerobox, Functionally Fit Peak Fat Burning, and a couple of others. It's a good buy, just like SSC. You would end up with duplicates of FFPFB, but again, the cost of these still makes having them both worthwhile.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 07:54 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P.
First of all, LWTLW is about 47 min. long, which includes the 7 min. "bonus" ab section at the end. there is no warmup, you have to do it on your own, so include that in your figuring. The dvd is chaptered so you can do just upper body, just lower body, or just abs. I feel the exercises are very effective, & I could use heavy weights, although, there is an option to use smaller weights if you want--you just follow the people on the righthand side of the screen. They do pulsing moves with smaller weights. Those of us using heavy weights just do normal time lifting & stretching while the others aredoing pulses. All the exercises are basic, tried & true, nothing modern or balancing or anything like that. I love this workout & feel that I have done somthing when I'm done, but I don't feel like I've killed myself (which for me, is perfect.) The one thing about this workout is Kathy is very animated & loud. I don't like it, but I can usually get used to anything if I like a workout, & I've got used to it here.

Okay, for Super Slimdown Circuit, you get 3 workouts on the dvd: Secrets of a Great Upper Body (which includes abs & lower back work)--about 33 min., Secrets of a Great Lower Body--about 40 something min., & Peak Fat Burning, a hi/lo interval workout, that has 26 min. of aerobics, plus a warmup & cooldown & stretch, making it about 40 min. total. The SGB workouts have warmups & cooldowns (stretches) too. On this dvd, you can pick individual body parts to do out of the SGB sections, so that's really nice. I had this set on VHS, but I had to fast forward, etc. to make the lower body section shorter (I almost always have only 1 hour to exercise at a time), so I rarely did it. These workouts are heavy weight oriented also, & there are intros to each section showing the body part that will be worked & the exrcise we'll be doing. I followed some VFer's advice & started doing the exercises during the intros & this increases the intensity of these workouts, & I highly recommend it. These are basic exercises again, nothing fancy. Kathy is subdued here, the set is nice & airy (it's filmed to look airy, I think, hard to describe), & I liked the music okay, too.
The Peak Fat Burning workout on the SSC dvd is great. It's a solid intermediate/low advanced hi/lo interval workout. It is chaptered: warmup, workout, cooldown (so much for this being a cardio/weight circuit dvd ) I know people will say it isn't super intense, but I can get my heartrate up there. It isn't as intense as Project You Long & Lean, but it's okay. I only wish it was longer. Over the years I have come to become a big Kathy Smith fan, the moves in her workouts is very natural & comfortable to my body. It might be because she's tall, I do better with the taller instructors. I am not very tall (about 5'6.5"), but I have a real long torso, so maybe that makes a difference.

Anyway, if you want my advice on which dvd to get, I'd say Super Slimdown Circuit, because you get the extra workout, but if it's possible, get both. They're both solid workouts.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the breakdown! I cant wait to try Super Slimdown.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 09:36 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundari
Jennifer - Are all of these three workouts complete versions of the original on the "Super Slimdown Circuit"? Or are they cut short on the DVD?

Thanks.
They are the complete workouts.
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 06:43 AM  
sundari

Thank you so much.

Tags
intermediate workouts, kathy smith compilations, rules of fat burning