Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-22, 09:04 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Drive by: 35 min hill workout on the mill. Hard, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

See ya tomorrow.
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 11:18 AM  
Vantreesta

I haven't worked out since Thursday, partly bc of preoccupation with the findings at my podiatrist appt I had Friday. I went in for lateral foot pain that I suspected was peroneal brevis tendonitis but since it has been going on since last summer I figured I should get it looked at. The pain has always been mild and intermittent, never stopping me from doing anything, but the duration pushed me to have it checked. I was correct in my self diagnosis of the tendonitis so that was good. X-rays showed no indication of current or past stress fracture. What they did show, however, is elevated first metatarsals. I apparently have degeneration in both big toe joints and he said that is caused by the shape and location of my metatarsals. His recommendation and dire prediction were to have surgery on both feet while I still have good bones and am young(ish) and healthy or else they will degrade to the point of arthritis and eventual fusion or replacement. Okay so he freaked me out, hit all the right alarm buttons and words so I was super super stressed all wknd worrying about this. But I checked back in my medical records and when my left toe joint was first X-rayed in 2009, there was apparently no concern with bone density or structure, which leads me to believe my lifestyle and choices caused a shift in my foot structure and it's not smthg I was born with. If that really is the case then surely PT can help me reposition things back to a normal foot. Anyway, I'm working on getting a second opinion but at this point I am thinking no surgeries. I have pretty successfully managed hip impingements and torn hip labrum for over a decade with help from PT and my chiropractor, so I feel with the right guidance I can at least try to fix this problem myself. If that doesn't work then I can consider surgery. But hate the idea of being cut into and once surgery is done there's no going back!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 12:26 PM  
JBliff

My workout yesterday was a 43-minute total body strength workout on Youtube + a 40-minute walk with DH since the weather was gorgeous.

Vannie
- It sounds like a good idea to get a second opinion since surgery on both feet sounds pretty scary.

Waves to all. Have a good day.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-22, 09:25 AM  
JBliff

My workout yesterday was 50 minutes on the elliptical.

Have a great day, everyone.
Old 06-08-22, 09:34 AM  
Vantreesta

JB, I definitely want a second opinion. The more I've thought about the podiatrist appt the less impressed I am with him. He never gave me any alternatives, just jumped straight to surgery and mentioned orthotics as a bandaid.

My energy level is still low (blame stress, allergens in the air, laziness, staying up too late, all of the above probably?) so yesterday all I managed to do was PT and again dozed off in the last stretch. Thankfully I anticipated it and had set an alarm so I only slept 15 minutes.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 06-08-22, 06:18 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Vannie I would absolutely get a second opinion. Especially about anything foot or ankle. And it sounds like you are very good at going to PT and doing your rehab exercises on your own. Maybe see a foot and ankle orthopedic surgeon instead of a podiatrist. It does seem off that he went straight to surgery.

I swam last night and did 40 min on the mill tonight. I have been watching Better Call Saul on the treadmill and finding it very weird but each day I like it more.

At 7pm our heat index was 98. I was gonna get on my bike for a few minutes but no way in this heat. Jbliff glad you still have good walking weather!

Hi Cher and Gibbee
Old 06-08-22, 06:42 PM  
Vantreesta

Karen, I asked my doctor about an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet but she's sending a referral to a different clinic in the Mayo system but she said podiatry. I am going to talk to my PT and chiropractor and show them all the info. My records will be ready for me to pick up tmrw. Depending what they say I may not follow up on the referral at this point. If they see the x-rays and actual diagnosis maybe they can give me advice. I realize they're not specialized in feet but still.

Old 06-09-22, 08:12 PM  
JBliff

My workout yesterday was lower body training + yoga from Youtube.

Karjoy - I think we'll have decent weather until the weekend when it'll warm up. We went to an outdoor concert on Monday and it was almost cold at 8 p.m.

Vannie - Good luck getting that second opinion.

Hi to Cher and Gibbee.
Old 06-09-22, 09:28 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Drive by: rest day! Yippee.
Old 06-10-22, 01:25 PM  
JBliff

My workout yesterday was 62 minutes of upper body training + low impact cardio from Youtube.

Waves to all. Have a good day.