Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-14-22, 04:52 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Donna, I figured out what probably had turned me off years ago from giving 21 Day Fix a chance: it was the "Surrender" move that is the very first move in the very first DVD in this set. I didn't like it then, and I didn't like it now. I found it strange that Autum even included this painful and hard-to-do move in what is basically a beginner-intermediate set. I modified surrenders with shallow squats instead and I was just fine. I'm glad I persevered and I'm continuing with the rest of the workouts, because I'm really enjoying them. I have now done 3 of the 6 workouts and had previewed that other 3 and I like what I see. There may be some burpees down the road, but Kat, the modifier, is really good and I follow her as needed.

We're under heat advisory here and "real feel" temp right now is 106F. The hottest time of the day is still few hours off. Ugh! This is going to be a LOOONG summer!
I suspect that's what turned me off the set as well. I HATE that move. Always have, always will. I did rebuy the set last year although I have yet to give it a try.

I hear you on the summer weather. It's 102 here right now, but because we are fairly dry it only feels like ... 102. We do have a lovely blast furnace wind going though. Yesterday we had the dirty blast furnace wind going all day and all night. I'm having a hard time remembering why I live here.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-22, 08:10 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout -

Silver & Fit - Your Favorites: Intermediate Cardio with Penny 6/13/22 - 26 minutes

Low impact cardio workout filmed in rainy Cancun Mexico. I'll bet it was humid there!

Carol
Old 06-15-22, 10:59 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I added on CS 605 - I am enjoying re-visiting Season 6 - it moves faster than some of the more recent seasons. very nice beach scenery though!

Today, so far:

Silver & Fit - Advanced Strength w/ Adita from 6/14/2022

I like this routine - it my not be "advanced" for someone used to doing more intense workouts but it was solid. It included the usual exercises that you would expect to see - but some variations, too. I used 8's and 5's for this one.

Silver & Fit is a great You Tube channel - so much variety and multiple new workouts a day are posted.

Afterwards I did:

Jessica Smith - Stretch DVD (I can't remember the title!) I did the rejuvenate section - it was ok - much like her other stretch DVDs.

Thinking aloud here - do you think all of the options we have make it more difficult to stick to a rotation? Jessica's 31 min strength workout was up for today -but obviously, I became distracted in my quest for variety! And I did like the workout from Jessica when I did it - so I chose something else more for the sake of variety than any other reason.

I guess it all good and depends on your goals and why you are exercising. For me, it is just about health and recreation at this point. So, while I like having a plan per se I don't like it to be too rigid either.

Hope everyone as a nice day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-22, 06:31 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Silver & Fit - Take it Outdoors: Mindful Movement with Mindy 6/11/22 - 30 minutes

This workout was filmed trail-side in Emerald Isle, North Carolina. I'm guessing in Fort Bacon State Park, but I'm not sure. It was pretty with lots of green vegetation, which is a sight for my sore eyes. This workout wasn't what I expected, since I was expecting more of a stretchy workout. This was more of a combination of mobility and bodyweight strength - harder than I thought it would be.

Yes Donna, I absolutely think all the workouts available have made it hard to stick to anything. But, we are moving and surprising our bodies with all the variety, so it can't be too bad.

And our brilliant county government okayed the sale & use of fireworks for the 4th, despite the fact that we are incredibly dry on the western half of the county, with no rain in sight, lots of wind and temps in the 90s and above. I emailed my county commissioner after the decision, saying I thought it was incredibly irresponsible, but of course there's been no response. It's so bad out here that the major firework seller is refusing to sell fireworks, despite the county's okay. Sigh. In the words of the county judge, we're going to "trust people to use their best judgment".

Carol
Old 06-16-22, 07:29 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

CS S14E5 Leg Strength - 24min. This episode included some nice leg and IT band stretches which I badly needed. I am continuing with CS/ESS subscription because consistent stretching has done wonders for me. I've been using it first thing in the morning and before my "regular" workout. I'm feeling so much better lately.

21DF Pilates Fix - 34min. This is a pilates-inspired all floor work with an athletic twist. Just the way I like it. I sound like a broken record but I'm really loving this set and I'm actually looking forward to my workouts. Seems that with CS + 21 DF combo, I found my sweet spot. For now, anyway.

Another day of hot, sunny weather. I'm so over it and we still have months of it to go. On a good note, I saw that our police had posted signs everywere that illegal fireworks ban will be enforced this year with a $100 fine per incident. I am SO happy! I have noticed that it's been much more quiet around here and it's a relief. Last year they started with fireworks on Memorial Day and didn't stop until August.

I have to go to the office today. I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 06-16-22, 08:12 AM  
donnamp

hi!

Yesterday, after a long day of sitting I did Jenny Ford's March Across America # 12 - Rhode Island - which was filmed on a beach - Block Island, I believe.

Today, I went back to Essentrics and did the Live Workout from Monday - w/ Gail which was the kick start to the Summer Strength Series for Beginners (there is also an advanced version running concurrently).

I was going to pause my subscription, but I messed up my dates and it turned out it auto-renewed two days ago -so I have it for at least another month. But, I am sort of glad that happened, as I have been noticing the stiffness/tightness, etc. coming back after neglecting it. So, I think this was a happy accident and I need to work on keeping up with a regular Essentrics practice.

I am thinking/hoping that I will at some point have a better work/life balance - so one of the things I'm thinking about doing is Essentrics in the morning, just to wake up and get moving and then another workout - weights, cardio, Pilates in the afternoon or evening. I will have to see how that all plays out!

Dana - same boat as you - definitely noticed a difference when I was not consistent with it vs/ when I was! 21 Day Fix is on my radar now. Will have to hunt for it. While I do like the workouts in Jessica's new set - there is a certain amount of dread I have w/ them due to the length. I have to go into the office today too to get a new ID for my new department - I don't know why we can't just have a generic ID and they enable access to different areas remotely. Same w/ a laptop - I have to get a new one - but I don't know why I can't just use the one I have and they remotely install/uninstall what I need/don't need. It seems silly to go through all of this for an internal transfer.

Carol - unfortunately, as we have seen before, trusting people to use their best judgment doesn't always work. I wish it did b/c I am really not a big Gov't interference type person - but ------sadly, people are not going to think about the hazards/implications of using fireworks in a drought they are just going to think of their immediate pleasure in setting them off. I really don't get it - I can go on - but freedom requires responsibility and I think most people don't see that - and then they get mad when their "freedom" is taken away -but I digress!

hope everyone has a nice day!!

Donna
Old 06-17-22, 06:06 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Thursday's workout was

Silver & Fit - Your Favorites: Intermediate Strength with Penny 6/6/22 - 30 minutes

I liked this strength workout. Penny used standing leg work for the lower body, alternated with dumbbells for the upper body. Workout was primarily focused on back body work, but she got the quads and biceps too. It was different from Penny's typical strength workouts.

Donna - I know. It's discouraging. Here in Texas the tide has definitely turned in favor of prioritizing individual rights over the common good. It's always been there in the background, but now it is front and center. And you are right - that seems weird when you are just transferring between departments, but I guess each department has it's own budget for equipment, etc. ?

Dana - Glad you are enjoying 21 Day Fix.

Carol
Old 06-17-22, 08:21 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

It is Friday!!

I did Jessica's 48 Min Strength routine today - I really do like the weight training workouts in this set - the Strength and Circuit DVDs are good for me. I haven't tried the split workouts yet, but I'll get to them. I like the slower pacing - I find them different from Jessica's other weight training options.

Yesterday - for an add on I did Ellen's new one - Cardio Barre. I did like it - but there was one "circuit" that I found awkward - the dancer lunges - I don't know why Ellen likes that move so much. I modify w/ a smaller range of motion. I feel that the pacing in the workout is too fast to do a full range of motion (at least for me).

Carol - are you going to sign up for Trifecta? I think I'm going to - $7 for a month. Her prices are so high otherwise....I think $30 a month. I have one more week left in Jessica's rotation - I didn't follow it exactly -there were some substitutes in there - but I figure I'll squeeze some Pilates in too.
There does need to be a balance between individual rights and the common good - the pandemic highlighted that....

Waves - Happy Weekend! We have Monday off for Juneteenth so my first day in my new job is actually a day off, LOL! Not a bad way to start.

Donna
Old 06-17-22, 07:45 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today workouts were

Silver & Fit - Take It Outdoors: Everything Circuits with Beth 6/13/22 - I bailed at the 20 minute mark; Pilates Nest - Neck Friendly Full Body Pilates - 15 minutes

The Circuit workout wouldn't have been bad except that it was the same 3 moves over and over again. I need more variety than that. Plus it was filmed in the desert outside of Scottsdale and I kept waiting for a rattlesnake or scorpion to show up.

I noticed that Smriti has really gotten more muscled up - she had a trailer after the video promoting her YouTube channel and she has clearly been doing something else besides or in addition to pilates. She looked good though. I think I remember that she said she was going to do TRX Training and that could explain the new look.

Donna - Glad your new job is starting on a good note! You planned that well. I believe today is the last day to get the $7 deal for Trifecta. I think I will do it.

Carol
Old 06-18-22, 07:45 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

CS S14 E6 - Upper Back and Posture - 23min.
21DF Dirty 30 - 30min.
Strength training, 4 rounds of 3 exercises each. Loved it! I also did about 10 min of foam rolling of my IT bands. I have very tight IT band on the right side and not only it's painful but I'm sure it also contributes to my lower back pain and twitches in my knees. Ah, the joys of getting older!

Speaking of which, I'm actually in a very good shape minus occassional aches and pains. I've stepped up my strength training because of a family member who is only about 3.5 years older than I am, but is in a terrible shape. She had been sedentary her entire life and "enjoyed" a diet that's full of fats, fried foods and soft drinks. This definitely took a toll on her health. She has numerous ailments, can barely walk (not overweight), has very fragile bones and in fact, is currently in a rehab/nursing home after a fall. I don't ever want to end up like that.

I'm planning to go to the park for a walk by the river after breakfast because it's beautiful out and today we're getting a break from the hot weather. Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!