Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-01-22, 05:43 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I love Margaret Richard for weight lifting! I have most of her DVDs and do them frequently. I don't mind that some of her DVDs are dated because I enjoy the workouts so much. Margaret instructs on proper form to avoid injury.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-22, 05:52 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes, they are dated. but i'm OK with dated.

buying her DVDs from ebay or Amazon are very expensive because she's stopped producing/selling DVDs. however, on the plus side, she sells downloads that you can keep forever at $17/title. I heard they are chaptered too.

Her DVDs are well-chaptered, although there is no programming feature. you'll just have to pick what you want from the menus.

although people have mentioned her warm-ups are insufficient, her moves are simple enough that they could count as a warm-up.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-22, 06:29 PM  
OSusanna

I usually chime in when we talk about Margaret. But really I think everything has been said and the only thing I ever wanted to add is that there is a very low chance of getting hurt with her workouts. As someone has already said her form is meticulous and if you follow it and look at yourself in the mirror as you do her workouts you will likely be as safe as anything else out there in the market. The only other thing I’m thinking about now to add, is that her workouts are easily split just like Joyce and that might be one way in which they’re quite similar. So it is easy to do arms one day legs and other or however you want to split it up whatever you want to do. So for me a pro with Margaret’s workouts is that they are easy to turn into a program.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-22, 07:38 PM  
JustSandra

I love Margaret, too! I like her calm demeanor. Luckily dated doesn't bother me. Margaret is the absolute best when it comes to lower body floor work (which agrees with my wonky knees). I like most of her upper body stuff, too. I never have a "dread" feeling pulling out one of my Margaret DVDs.

There are a few cons. I agree that her warm-ups and cool-downs don't feel terribly effective to me, and I almost always skip them (the excellent chaptering makes this easy to do). Her ab work is almost entirely crunches, so I often skip those as well, choosing my core workouts from other instructors. Unfortunately she rarely works the low back.

Her DVDs split up well into half-hour workouts if you like that option.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 02:15 AM  
Negin

Thank you all so much!
Old 05-02-22, 06:39 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I like Margaret too. I have the Classics DVD, Getting Better, Sculpture and Perfect 10.

Like others have said, her workouts really have no dread factor, I personally don't mind the dated look of some of them and her pointers are really good. I like her personality as well and she is calming. I don't mind the music she uses either.

Right now, I am dealing with hip issues which at times make simple things difficult, but I can manage Margaret's workouts. I appreciate the lighter weights and can really only do floor work right now for lower body.

I will never get rid of my Margaret DVDs, they probably more important to me as I get older.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-22, 08:45 PM  
bfit

I've never clicked with Margaret Richard either although I don't know quite why. It's true that her workouts look dated now. The only one I've kept over the years is "Getting Better" because it's good when you have a foot/ankle injury. Her exercises are effective but very standard and very repetitive. Her voice is sort of sleep inducing too.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 09:05 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I enjoy the dated factor. After all, I lived it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 09:10 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I enjoy the dated factor. After all, I lived it.
Lol. Exactly!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-22, 09:11 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I just received an email from MR. She's running a Mother's Day sale. 20% off her digital downloads and 20% off her streaming. She supplied a code. I'm sure the code is listed on her website.

ETA--I still had the email. mothersday20 for digital. md20+gift for streaming
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, essentrics, jessica smith, joyce vedral, margaret richard, margaret richard sale, triple threat