Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-22-22, 06:09 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - they called this a pulse workout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBke...C-fAU&index=52
then after I rode I did this resistance stretch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjTp...la3uP&index=45

buzzer- who knows maybe the walks will help it seems like some people get better results from easier/slower types of things. Glad to know my dh is not the only guy who likes everything OUT.

ebianco - I would be so annoyed if I lived with someone that lost weight that easily. great results from the walks.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 06:51 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe Pure Strength Legs and abs.. DONE!

I liked it. More of a cardio legs type workout... she does 16 reps kinda to get you in the rhythm, then three sets of 10 in rapid succession. Not much rest at all! However between sets she rests quite a bit. It was actually kinda perfect. I was worried when I saw an hour and 7 minutes for the workout, but it was fine. With the talking she did and the amount of reps, it worked out and didn't feel like too much. The abs were very old school, which I love! Lots of little sit ups. No planks!!! I am over planks. My shoulders just can't handle it. Come to think of it, neither can my wrists.

I used lighter weights since she moved so fast, and it was perfect. I am not a fan of leg workouts, and this one I can see doing again. I am not sure what my rotation is now, I think it's gonna be walk dogs alternated with weight work for a while. I pulled out all my weights only workouts... I sure have a lot!! I could rotate through those for months and not repeat a workout. Of course, I'm adding in P90X and X2 and STS into those weight only workouts. I even have some KCM or Amy Bento workouts too... for some reason I get them confused. Whoever did the 30 minutes to fitness ones. I have those.

So we planted more mint yesterday (why did DH buy so much mint???) and there's just a few more to plant. My island is getting full of mint! I am not liking it, but it does have to be planted. It'll either spread and we'll have it take over the island, or it'll die and I can plant something else next year, or just cover up the ground and we can have planters and pots of things we can eat or use. I am trying to make the island more things we can eat.

LB drove around the ATV in the yard, and I sent her on little errands. She loves that!

Today we have some friends coming over briefly, then we might go swimming. It's supposed to rain and be chilly this weekend (in the mid 60's) so we have to get some sunshine in today! I am thinking of taking her to Elitches tomorrow for a few hours, before she goes to her final grooming class.

Eventmom: I don't know what the need to set everything down on flat surfaces is. It's crazy! I would love to get rid of some of the flat surfaces, but that's impossible. I have tried putting things on the surfaces to discourage stuff, however all it does is create like a broken dam. The stuff just flows around it. I think I just give up. I clean them up as much as I can, then cringe when someone comes over. I admit I put things on the counter or surfaces, but I at least go back and clean up what I put there. I think men are just blind to it!

I don't remember if I told you, however one of my vacuum seal bags has a leak. I think I will go out today or tomorrow with packing tape and try to seal up the edges and see if that helps. kinda a pain since I already have it packed nicely and standing on end. The sweaters are still packed and sitting on end, but I know when I move them they will fall and I'll have to start all over again.

I do have more bags coming, and will finish cleaning up winter stuff and find more to put in them. The space saving is addicting!!!

Ebianco: Shoot, I would take 2 pounds loss. If I lose 2 pounds walking, I will consider it a success! I don't know if my DH loses weight, we aren't weighers. However I would bet that if he stopped eating sugar he would lose 20 pounds easy. I should challenge him to that. That would annoy the crap out of me! I do think it's harder for women. We have hormones against us that want us to gain weight. Men don't have that, their hormones stay pretty much even all their lives. Just like they don't have a biological clock. Men can father children until they die, just look at Mick Jagger!!! He just had a baby at 70 something.

I think it's funny that your dogs don't understand the treadmill. I can only imagine! HA! "wait, she's walking... how do we fit into this scenario??? Where is she going???" Otis would probably scrape his nose on a treadmill constantly.

We got a furmerator (sp?) brush. I can't believe how much hair we are getting out of these guys! Otis even sounds different when he shakes now. He needed it so bad. I have heard the furmerator is bad for double coated dogs, however I brush and brush these guys and can't get all the dead hair out of them. This thing is amazing! The dogs are finally almost ready for summer!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 11:42 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

TA beginner standing + fitprime dancey moves. Adding back cardio.

buzzer - those vacuum bags sound handy. right now I think I need to keep focusing on getting rid of stuff - but right now sweaters will not sell or be taken by a consignment shop so I just need to keep on top of it in a few months. I'm trying to keep my workouts a bit more mellow that full out TA I lost a couple of pounds these last few weeks when I was not doing cardio for TA. I have no idea what actually works.

hi ebianco!
Old 06-25-22, 02:10 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi all,

I'm feeling so tired and dragged down again today, so I'm walking on the treadmill but not sure if I'll be doing any "real" exercise (since my treadmill steps are supposed to be non-exercise activity).

But catching up from Thursday, I did Caroline EPIC 3 giant upper body sets (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYR0...4uVpN&index=20) which was a toughie, I did my own abs on one of the shoulder sets, as usual I feel like Caroline overworks the shoulders, but that's great in a way because then it was total upper body inclusive.

Then yesterday I did this tough HIIT with abs from Penny Barnshaw (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=266w...vOQm&index=146) which really built up and I was sweating bullets by the end. So at least if I don't work out much at all today I did have a productive week before now! And I'll try to push myself harder tomorrow if I just take it easier today.

Eventmom Haha yes it is very annoying living with someone who loses weight so easily! But he is extremely supportive of me, always telling me I'm beautiful when I'm getting down on myself And, I'm glad that he does weigh himself every day and trying to think about his health more.

Buzzer Well I've stalled on my weight loss, but still haven't really gained it back. I got into an eating slump about two weeks ago and I just haven't gotten out yet. Every day I think "today's the day!" that I will regain my momentum, and then something derails it. Also I feel like if I could just drop sugar/junk food/refined flour, Id lose a bunch of weight too. But for the better or the worse I've stopped putting that pressure on myself. I've tried so many times and it just leads to massive bingeing. I guess I'd rather eat a candy bar every week than none for a month and then rebound with 10 of them. I'm sure it would be phenomenal for everyone's health though if they were able to cut sugar. They just make food so addictive!

Isn't it crazy thinking about men fathering children at 70 something?!

It's mostly Sundae that really seems perturbed that she can't be on the treadmill with me. The others know the drill and just lay or sniff around the gym (since they don't usually get to be in the gym it's a novelty) but she stares at me from different vantage points, the mat, the rebounder, right by my feet next to the treadmill, so sad, so sad, so sad She seems to be slowly getting the point that she can lay around or play and she's still being loyal. I'm so glad the furminator or whatever it is called works for you!!! I'm sure they feel so much more comfortable too in the heat of summer not having such a heavy coat.

Anyway I hope you are both having a great weekend! Mine is extra long because I had yesterday off, and it's so great because I really need the R&R!
Old 06-25-22, 03:59 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - Action jacquelyn total body sculpt (30 min) + 15 TA cardio then the 20 min resistance stretch
today - 10 min warm up - hauled 160 bales of hay with 4 helpers. I did the least since I drive the truck but I had 4 helpers and we got it all done in around 4 hours. of course it's going to be 101 degrees today so we started at 7:30 and beat the heat.

so tomorrow it will be a high of 83 tomorrow and only 81 Monday so from unseasonably hot to unseasonably cool. which is good as I'm jumping my horse on monday.
sorry for the weather fixation but I live in Oklahoma and we watch weather forecasts like other people watch scripted drama.

ebianco - both of those workouts look tough. I just hate burpees and mountain climbers my shoulders just don't appreciate them! my dh is really carefully with his eating but with his back problems there's only so much exercise he can do - he's good about what he can do but still only so much is doable. hope you enjoy your 3 day weekend!

hi buzzer !
Old 06-26-22, 06:42 AM  
Buzzer

Pure Strength Bis, back and abs... DONE!

I love the abs. I think I just love "old school" abs!! Lots of crunches and rotations, no planks! I hate planks. My shoulders, elbows, and wrists all hate planks. The bis and back were good though! I always think Cathe lifts so heavy on the back, and this time she didn't fail me. She has a really strong back! It felt so good though.

I took yesterday off. It was so foggy at the time I was going to go walk the doggies, that I was afraid a car would come and not see us. Yes, it was that foggy! I could barely see the fence that's maybe 50 feet away from my kitchen window. So I didn't want to be walking them and have a car come up on us with that low of visibility.

I said I'd walk them later, but then of course we got caught up in other things and I didn't. So today it is!

Eventmom: we watch the weather close too! It is entertainment. Yesterday we had a high of 60 up here! It was chilly! Remember when I said I keep out at least one heavy coat just in case? Well, we didn't use our heavy coats, but we did use "not summer" clothes! I had on a sweatshirt and a fleece jacket in the morning and I was still chilly. We have full discussions about the weather here. I'd rather haul hay in the 60's than in 101!! Today is supposed to be cool again, then it warms up into the 70's. This is more of a summer I remember growing up. Cooler, chance of rain every afternoon. The last 10 or so years have been very unusual with the heat and drought. I'll take this any day!

Ebianco: Luckily my DH doesn't lose as easily as yours! Although I do wonder what it's like to lose so easily. I was always so careful with my weight when I was working because appearances are everything when you are a trainer. Plus I had youth on my side to make it easier. However I remember even when I put on 10 pounds once I knew it wouldn't come off. Then it just gets harder as you get older! HA! I have to admit I never would have thought I'd have peace with this weight... and I don't. However I am more accepting of it than I thought I would be. I think the good things in my life outweigh the weight.

Your dogs sound so cute. I just have in mind this cute little fluffy pack that is bouncing around while you walk and work.

I agree they make food addictive. I think that's on purpose so we buy more. I heard a stat recently that 75% of the food in the grocery store has added sugar. That sounds crazy, but when I think of it, yeah, that's probably true. I do try to stick to the walls of the store and avoid the middle, however with LB that's tough! Plus, you know, the bakery is on the walls... we usually avoid it but yesterday cookies and cheesecake called us. Now today we have to live with our choices.

Today will be dog walking day. We had an elk in our yard yesterday evening, and I don't know if he's gone yet. DH was yelling "Otis!" in the yard, and I was cleaning veggies. He came in "get me my camera!" and I gave him mine.... turns out Otis was trying to sniff at the elk in the yard!! I'm glad he didn't get kicked or gored. Luckily the elk are a bit more passive right now. So I got Eugene and Otis back into the house, and we went out and watched the elk eat our tree and some of the lilac bush. Luckily not my new trees!! Just one that came with the house. So I will walk them until I know the elk is gone and didn't bed down for the night here!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-26-22, 03:40 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - got in TTapp basic +
today - 10 min stretch, rode my horse in a clinic, did Fitprime upper body from a compilation (so around 23 minutes but really it was sort of cardio total body because you do squats and one legged work during the upper body, then of course 4limb work) - anyway loved it, then 20 min resistance stretch

buzzer - yeah it's so nice when the summer cools off! I don't need a jacket but yeah the seasons aren't predictable! enjoy the cooler weather!

hi ebianco!
Old 06-29-22, 10:46 AM  
Buzzer

Pure Strength Chest Tris and Delts... DONE!
Walked the doggies... DONE!
Pure Strength Legs and abs.. DONE!!

Why haven't I checked in lately? what am I doing? I don't know! I think I have been staying up later and sleeping in later so I am thrown off. The fan in the window at night is making me sleep like crazy though! We got a big whole house fan that we are running at night in the bedroom window, and it's cold in the bedroom and I am so happy and sleeping! literally, 6-8 hours a night!! I love it!!

So chest tris and delts I did a few days ago. I went heavier on the chest, used 20's and 25's. when Cathe did pushups, I did 20 pound chest presses holding in my abs like I would for pushups. I think I am kinda over pushups. The pain in all the other joints and areas just doesn't seem worth it.

I am still feeling my chest, and it's been two days ago! I love that.

Yesterday I walked the doggos. 5000+ steps for Otis, and 2000+ for Eugene. Plus I cleaned out the shed (well, 2/3 of the shed) yesterday. We have so much stuff. I took out the electrical stuff I found, and the plumbing, and put it in the new garage for DH. I told him to go through it and see if there's anything we can use, otherwise it goes to habitat for humanity. I also found a complete drip system I can use for my island! I am pretty excited about that one!

I threw out a bunch of old, dried out things (caulk, wood filler) and broken things. We still have another third of the shed to go through, but I am happy with what we have done! Two big bags are being thrown away. Nice to have that cleared out. I also will be going through my "keep' stuff I have in there and donating it. No need to keep that just to find it every few years. I just want things to have a place!

Right now we can actually walk into the shed, which is good. Today I will finish that, unless we go do something more fun.

Legs today was kinda tiring. I slept EIGHT HOURS last night!!!! So I was kinda groggy. I like to get my workouts done early while it's still cool out, and I didn't start until after 7:30am. So it was starting to get warmer. I had fans on, however it was still warm. plus the fact that the walks are kinda tiring out my legs, I am holding in my abs on the walk, plus the shed work yesterday... my legs started out tired and a little sore. So the leg work was tough. I used 12's as my heavy weight though so it was good. I didn't use weights on the floor outer thigh. I remember that being hard with weights!!! Cathe does really hit all the muscles though.

one thing I find quite random and strange in the Pure Strength series is sometimes the cameraman is focusing on the workout, then suddenly goes off into a corner and starts zooming into a plant, or a stack of weights, then they cut off and go back to the workout. I don't know if it was supposed to be artistic or what was going on, but it's really weird. In todays workout, the camera is focused on Cathe, then quick moves over and zooms into a fern really fast, then they cut away. I would say maybe it's an accident, but that's what the editors are for. They make sure accidents don't happen. So it was intentional. I just don't get it. Weird.

eventmom: So DH got diagnosed with ADHD. Part of that is apparently losing things, or putting them down and not getting back to them, or general being messy. I always thought it was just him, now I know it's his ADHD. So I am going through papers and trying to organize that stuff. I used to leave the countertop alone, but I went through and organized it. I thought that's how he wanted things, but no. It's just that he doesn't get back to things. I am in the midst of getting rid of the clutter I thought he was more attached to, like the countertop and the shed. I am keeping things he might really need or have an attachment to, but old bills, or old paperwork etc is going.

We are both reading and learning about it, and it's helping because instead of being irritated I am going through things, he is really accepting of it right now! So I am going to ride that train as long as I can! LB is helping me clean. She hangs out and helps sort things, then if I have something that belongs somewhere else she straps it to the back of her ATV and drives it over there for me. She is loving that! And it helps me. I don't have to carry heavy things all over the place.

So our house is slowly shaping up. Lots of work though.

Ebianco: The doggos are so loving their walks. I went out today to go to my workout room, and they both ran to me all excited. I kinda felt bad going into my workout room! They were so excited thinking I was there to take them for a walk. Tomorrow little buddies, tomorrow!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 06-29-22, 01:06 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi everyone,

Haha I guess I had such a busy weekend that I forgot to check in!

When I was checking in on Saturday saying I was feeling dragged down, I ended up doing 45 minutes of easy walking on the treadmill, so I more than got my steps in, then on a whim I decided to put in Denise Austin Yoga Burn DVD, which I used to do a lot 10+ years ago! I did the main 20 minute chapter and kept it easier (like for crescent pose I just did a runners lunge with my back knee on the floor) and the time flew by, and I felt rejuvenated!

Then on Sunday, thanks to taking it easy on Saturday, I felt VERY ready to do something tough. I noticed that Linda of Barlates has been putting out her Triple Burn series on youtube and it got me thinking about them. I ended up doing Triple Burn - Define chapter from the DVD set I have, which was barre style lunge pulses with the band to work the seat mostly and the legs, then front leg lifts to burn out the quads/inner thighs, then a tough upper body series, then back extensions and abs. And as a warm up and between each set (so after the lunge set, then after the leg lift set, then after the arms) I infused some cardio from CDOrner Fitness (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AD3...ex=105&t=2450s) which was about 5 minutes per set, and by the end I ended up doing 25 minutes of the workout! Plus the 50 minutes of the Define and then an extended stretch with Callanetics was a 85 minute workout! And the time totally flew by too! It was an excellent combo. It was easy to switch over from the DVD on my TV to my laptop that had the cardio so it wasn't cumbersome at all. Every time I do Barlates, I think "I MUST do more Barlates!" but then I go on to something else or I putter out. But right now my plan is to do another Triple Burn workout on Sunday and probably infuse it with the cardio like I did last week!

Monday-Tuesday were rest days but I kept up with my steps.

Today I did a tough upper body with Caroline EPIC Endgame (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Va...4uVpN&index=21) and Endgame often seems just slightly grueling because the sets are usually longer like 60 seconds, instead of 30 or 45 seconds. More time under pressure. And on top of that the rests were only 20 seconds. But the workout went quick. Today I noticed that my 35# kettlebell was feeling light for the first time for one arm back rows, after feeling comfortable but not easy for the past several weeks. I thought "I'm SURE my 45# kettlebell is going to be way too heavy" but I actually as able to do about 11 reps per side with the 45 then returned to the 35! So definitely not the full minute, but that's how I started out with the 35 too, just a few reps (working my way up from 25) then eventually the whole set. Strangely I didn't notice that the 35 felt too light until the third and final set of rows, so I only used the 45 as part of one set. But I'm looking forward to using it again in future workouts!

Eventmom I am sure I know exactly the Fitprime compilation you used (6 Day something) for the "upper body" workout that was really more like cardio total body. I love it too, but would not have labeled it as upper body!

I always think of you when I see Gina B and she just put out a new "Stranger Things" themed walk workout, I tagged it to try out soon! Do you guys watch Stranger Things? I'm hooked and going to watch the final Volume 4 episodes this weekend

Buzzer Well DH partially loses easily because he has a little extra weight to lose, and I am definitely thrilled he is losing weight for his health. I feel like the 10+ pounds I've put on post-meeting my DH is probably not coming off, like you said it's just getting older and I also don't want to totally kill myself just for some vanity pounds either. I've been thinking of how I am more accepting of it too, I mean life is so full and weight/scale isn't the end all be all!

Yes the dogs like to romp around the gym, they wrestle and play on the big blue gymnastics mat I work out on which is very cute, like they're in their own little doggy gym and I have a pillow that they like to lay on while they wait for me. I always feel guilty because when they see me putting on sneakers they think "walk!!" and I always say "noooo, sorry, it's just the treadmill" but I also justify it because it's so hot outside and they wane so quickly in the heat.

They definitely 100% make food addictive, there are many books about it and the millions of dollars that the companies spend to make food hyper-palatable. It's really scary actually. I try to stick to the walls too and avoid the middle of the store but sometimes my feet take on a life of their own and steer me though the candy aisle It would definitely be more tough with a kiddo!

I'm glad you're doggies are enjoying all the walks!! That is crazy about your elk in the yard and I'm relieved that Otis did not get kicked or anything. I feel like I keep seeing in the news about bison and that kind of thing trampling people in Yellowstone who get too close.

Wow that's interesting about DH and ADHD, I'm glad that he is being accepting of your help to go through things and not just being grumpy about it.

That was really funny about the Pure Strength series and the artistic zooming into the plants Like you said it must have been on purpose, because I know they edit those videos like crazy!
Old 06-29-22, 03:11 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

monday - yoga basic caribbean aerobics before my jump lesson, came home eventually did bootcamp boogie (15 min) then a resistance stretch I found on line.
tuesday - classical stretch actual stretch + a melt practice I found on line
today- back to TA, I found a chair at a thrift store that I thought we be perfect for TA it's not perfect but for $8 no biggie. Then a 15 min Brand fitness walk and the 20 min resistance stretch

buzzer - 8 hours! wow that's awesome on sleep so happy for you. wow on the ADHD diagnosis, I've heard that adult ADHD is difficult to treat but glad that you are able to use the information to help move forward on issues. great job on the shed!

ebianco - I like CD but she's too tough for me LOL! and yes, I'm sure that's the workout. It was just perfect for what I wanted that day and now I've got better notes for it.