Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-19, 02:22 PM  
sunday

Foot surgery update

For those wondering ...

Saw my podiatrist this morning and went ahead and scheduled surgery for Friday, June 7.

Found out I can have both the Haddix Limitus on my left foot and the bone spur on my right little toe fixed at the same time. Even better is that he said he only uses twilight sleep - similar to that of a colonoscopy - and then numbing of the areas, so no going all the way under for me, which I hate. Five weeks in a walking boot follows but I knew that part. Said he’s done thousands of these surgeries. Who knew?

Also scheduled a pre-op conference for two weeks prior so will just need a physical and blood work completed from my PCM.

Pretty sure I’ll have to wear orthotics in my right foot still to keep the Haddix Limitus from happening to that one as long as possible.

Also interesting is that years before I felt any of this come on, I was one day unable to walk around the block without developing severe shin splints the next day. Always kept getting new shoes but it never helped. He said that was a precursor to this high-arch issue and that soon I’ll be able to actually walk for pleasure or exercise again.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 02:42 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Deana,
That’s good that you have the surgery scheduled. I am wondering about getting both issues fixed at the same time since it involves both your feet. You mention a boot. Does this mean only on one foot and if so what are the limitations on putting weight on the other foot.
I ask because although I am jumping the gun but I am seeing a podiatrist next week and since I have bunions onboth feet I am wondering if doctors recommend correcting both at the same time or advise against it.

ETA: I also have high arches.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 02:56 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Oh I forgot to mention that my SIL had bunion surgery on 1 foot a few years ago and couldn’t put any weight on it at all so had to use a scooter. She had a friend stay with her for 6 weeks to get help with my niece. Which is why I have been dreading the prospect of surgery but a friend told me that depending on my situation I probably will only need a boot. Then I remembered that I won’t be able to drive wearing a boot. Feeling very anxious about this before I even go to the doctor on January 9.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 04:13 PM  
sunday

I know from what the doctor told me previously, I would be able to walk and drive when I felt like it. The boot is basically to keep the foot stable, but he didn’t ever say anything about using a scooter, etc. The bone spur surgery is apparently very easy - go in and file it down, so no boot for that as far as I know. But of course I could be totally off base in my thoughts. From experience I’ve found that surgeons are pretty cavalier about how easy surgery is, but from their perspective and not the patient’s.

Please don’t be anxious abut seeing a podiatrist. For me it was a quality of life and mobility issue. I seriously at first thought my foot was broken, it was that painful, but just couldn’t figure out what I did to break it other than bang it against something. We’ve been treating conservatively for a long time, which is what he recommended, but said surgery is the only thing that will correct it since it’s anotomcial.

Who knew high arches and super flexible feet would become such a hassle. When I was younger I could do party tricks with my flexible feet.

Keep me up to date on your appointment. And I think I got my condition name wrong. Should be Hallux Limitus.
Old 01-02-19, 04:27 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Oh I forgot to mention that my SIL had bunion surgery on 1 foot a few years ago and couldn’t put any weight on it at all so had to use a scooter. She had a friend stay with her for 6 weeks to get help with my niece. Which is why I have been dreading the prospect of surgery but a friend told me that depending on my situation I probably will only need a boot. Then I remembered that I won’t be able to drive wearing a boot. Feeling very anxious about this before I even go to the doctor on January 9.
I have my foot surgery next Thursday. It's my right foot too, the driving problems have me more concerned than anything. I know what to expect with the healing process because I had the left one last January.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-19, 04:59 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I have my foot surgery next Thursday. It's my right foot too, the driving problems have me more concerned than anything. I know what to expect with the healing process because I had the left one last January.
What surgery are you having? And what of the recovery time/experience? Will send you positive energies Pat!
Old 01-02-19, 10:08 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Pat:

That's so funny....I think we corresponded last year. I had my bunion surgery in December on my right foot. Next Friday, I'll have my left one operated on. Can't wait! I'm ready to have "normal" feet!

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 08:33 AM  
lizr

I had this surgery on my right foot years ago and am facing it now on my left and possibly on my right again. Am trying the orthotics route right now and I am not really loving them.

Recovery is much easier than bunion surgery. I had a shoe like thing that velcroed over my foot for a couple weeks and then was able to get into an athletic shoe. I was able to walk on it right away- like to the bathroom, not walking the dog.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back at it before too long.
lizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 03:52 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Sounds very promising Deana! I'm sure it will be a huge relief when all is said and done and your foot is healed.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 03:57 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Sounds very promising Deana! I'm sure it will be a huge relief when all is said and done and your foot is healed.
Thanks Gina!

Tags
foot surgery