Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-18, 04:49 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

A long time ago I took Zumba classes for a couple of years from an insane woman who was so much fun. It was my first Zumba experience, she was wild , the classes were pitifully small (5-6 people) and it was literally across the street from my home. It was a trip and I LOVED it. But she moved away and every Zumba class I tried since was a complete bore. So, yeah, it depends on the instructor
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 07:08 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I've never tried Zumba but had planned on going to a live class tonight...after reading this thread, I'm reconsidering that because I simply cannot wrap my head around no cueing!! There's no CUEING????

I guess I'll still go but I'm now thinking it'll probably be a one and done for me...
Just pay lots of attention and get behind someone who knows what they're doing. Thats how I learned.
Old 01-18-18, 07:58 PM  
T2B

I love Zumba DVDs but have never taken a live class. The DVDs have cueing, at least the ones that I have. There’s an option for choosing verbal cueing, or not.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 08:22 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I don’t like dance based cardio period.
I feel the same way. I "hate" Zumba for just about taking over the fitness industry.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 09:21 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I don’t like dance based cardio period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
I feel the same way. I "hate" Zumba for just about taking over the fitness industry.
Your post reminds me of several complaints posted on VF. They say that there aren't many new "dancy" video offerings, newer video cardio workouts tend to be drill-based or "athletic" instead, and these workouts aren't "fun" to the people who complain about them.

I doubt that there's some deep connection here--imagine a world in which cardio classes increasingly resemble one another, cardio videos increasingly resemble one another, and the two formats increasingly diverge. Even so, I couldn't help noticing the contrast.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 10:52 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Yeah...I'm still waiting for a park district around here to offer kettlebell classes!
I have no idea where you are in Chicagoland, but I just looked up my park district schedule (Oak Lawn) and there is actually a kettlebell class! Mind you it is only one in a sea of zumba classes, but I was shocked to see it offered!
Old 01-18-18, 11:38 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I have no idea where you are in Chicagoland, but I just looked up my park district schedule (Oak Lawn) and there is actually a kettlebell class! Mind you it is only one in a sea of zumba classes, but I was shocked to see it offered!
Cool! Thanks for the tip, Wendy!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 04:48 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Your post reminds me of several complaints posted on VF. They say that there aren't many new "dancy" video offerings, newer video cardio workouts tend to be drill-based or "athletic" instead, and these workouts aren't "fun" to the people who complain about them.

I doubt that there's some deep connection here--imagine a world in which cardio classes increasingly resemble one another, cardio videos increasingly resemble one another, and the two formats increasingly diverge. Even so, I couldn't help noticing the contrast.
There's dancy video offerings, but classic hi/lo aerobics have all but disappeared.
Old 01-19-18, 06:38 AM  
Marie1120
VF Supporter

I agree that the instructor makes a big difference. Most of the classes I tried, I felt the music/movements were too fast to follow without the potential of injuring your knees etc. the lack of cuing also bothered me. I did find 1 instructor that did cue and used music and moves where you could keep good form. Then she left and got tired of trying a class and finding her class and style wasn't the usual. I agree that I don't understand it's continuing popularity. I think it might be starting to fade but still way too many classes at the more popular times. Hopefully soon there will be some different options as Zumba fades.
2009 - 312/300

"Those who remove mountains begin by carrying away small stones."
- Chinese Proverb

"Getting up in the morning is a case of mind over mattress." Ziggy
Marie1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 06:57 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
There's dancy video offerings, but classic hi/lo aerobics have all but disappeared.
I think Kristin Dowell's is the last hi-lo release I can remember.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dislike, zumba