Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-18, 11:26 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I've never tried Zumba but had planned on going to a live class tonight...after reading this thread, I'm reconsidering that because I simply cannot wrap my head around no cueing!! There's no CUEING????

I guess I'll still go but I'm now thinking it'll probably be a one and done for me...
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 11:30 AM  
sherry7899

They cue with hand gestures instead of verbally.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 11:34 AM  
Garrie A.

Non-verbal cueing also includes facial expressions and body language. Some instructors may also use verbal cues at times for the more complex steps (or if students are not getting certain steps), as well as praising students and asking how they are feeling. Also for body alignment.

In my classes I use mostly non-verbal cues, but also verbal cues when needed (for situations described above). My instructor friend also does the same. However, some instructors I've taken class from do not cue at all. It all depends on the instructor.

Specialty formats (Toning, Step, Sentao, etc.) rely on more verbal cues due to the exercise selections.

IMHO cueing wasn't touched on enough in my Level 1 (B1) training. There was a lot of material to cover, but I thought the cueing section was too short. It was "taught" and practiced briefly through two skill exercises, but other than that I was on my own. A few weeks ago, I took an Instructor Boost where cueing is covered more in-depth.

(If I need to delete this post please let me know. Just thought I'd elaborate a little bit on cueing.)
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 12:00 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

I love dance workouts but I cannot get into Zumba. i tried to make myself like it because it was so popular. I tried it everywhere from Port St. Lucie to fort Lauderdale. No go so I just admitted it's not my thing and moved on.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 12:11 PM  
Orlita

All 3 instructors I took classes with gave verbal cues consistently throughout the workout.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 12:56 PM  
Eibhinn

Years ago I borrowed the original Zumba DVD set from a friend, and really enjoyed it. But I've since tried others and did not. There were several things I preferred about the older one:

- First - it had instruction and queuing. It was led by Giselle Roque de Escobar, who is an experienced conventional dance fitness instructor. So I found it much easier to follow.

- Second - it was also easier to follow because it was less frantic, and seemingly easier on the body than some of the later stuff I've tried. The dancing seemed less flailing and impactful on the body, but maybe that's just because I was younger at the time. I'm pretty sure it was properly designed as a fitness program, with a proper warm-up and stretching. I HATE that the newer stuff doesn't have this.

- Third - it was less cheesy. Zumba is always cheesy, but the newer stuff, with the weird one pant leg shorter than the other exaggerated facial expression nonsense seemed way cheesier than the early stuff for me. The newer stuff seems just embarrassingly over-the-top.

I think a lot of this boils down to Zumba becoming branded and franchised. I think a lot of the cheesiness came from trying to make Zumba visually and aesthetically distinct. And a lot of the problems for me came with trying to make the program easily franchised - which is to say de-professionalized. The original Zumba was better because it involved a professional fitness trainer, with Beto mostly providing flair and, let's be honest, some visual interest to the program. The lack of proper fitness structures like warm-ups and cool-downs, and skills, like actually cueing and teaching how to do moves, is why Zumba was able to explode like it did: it's incredibly easy to get certified as a Zumba instructor because they've eliminated a raft of skills that instructors in normal fitness programs need to learn.

So I liked the basic idea of Zumba, because I like dance workouts, but I hate how dumbed down the final product ended up being. Also the non-verbal cueing makes instructors look like insane mimes and creeps me out.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 01:06 PM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

I felt the same way when I went to my first Zumba class.... the music was horrible and the instructor had absolutely no rhythm. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I changed gyms and found a zumba instructor that is not only fantastic, but has the best music (and I'm someone with 2 left feet). His classes are always packed wall to wall. Zumba is my favorite form of cardio.

Paula
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 01:18 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I've never tried Zumba but had planned on going to a live class tonight...after reading this thread, I'm reconsidering that because I simply cannot wrap my head around no cueing!! There's no CUEING????

I guess I'll still go but I'm now thinking it'll probably be a one and done for me...
You should go anyway. Lots of people love it you might too.
Old 01-18-18, 01:31 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Also the non-verbal cueing makes instructors look like insane mimes and creeps me out.
Bwauahahahahaha! Except for Christi Taylor, who always looks like magic
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 02:10 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I'm surprised some people tried the DVDs and didn't like the lack of cues my DVDs have the verbal and non verbal cues (sometimes called "Feel it") options, just saying. The only DVDs without cues are the ones filmed live (like a class). I always choose the verbal cues. Bubbles, although CT might looks like magic, her lack of cues didn't make me want to buy her Pure Spice DVD. Thanks goodness there are so many fitness options out there, we are not obligated to love everything, right?!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dislike, zumba