Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-17, 11:42 AM  
Janine

Unhappy Classical Stretch Injury?

Has anyone ever gotten an injury through doing Classical Stretch. I love it, and do it almost every day after doing some kind of Cardio, like Step, Spinning, Kickboxing etc. I have no idea what I did, but my leg is really sore going up my thigh. Sometimes I feel it in the front and sometimes the side. It might even be part if my hip. I was thinking maybe I stetched too far and pulled something. Have anyone ever done that? If not maybe I did something while doing my cardio.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 02:01 PM  
Casswoman

I want to like Classical Stretch/Essentrics, I really want to. However, every time that I do the workouts I seem to get injured. I have tried to give the workouts a fair trial. This last time I purchased a monthly subscription to their online streaming site. I ended up severely hurting my back doing one of the aging backwards videos which are suppose to be a more gentle beginner level. So I have to say no more to Classical Stretch/Essentrics. So it is possible that your injury is a result of your CS/ES workout. I, personally, feel that some of the movements take you past some biomechanical points and are not supportive of the back and/or hips.
Casswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 02:30 PM  
dnna

Yes. every single time I have tried it, I have gotten hurt or have stopped because I thought I would get hurt. Miranda, the instructor, gives terrible cues-encouraging you to go father, deeper, even pull your muscles -and the movements are wide and deep. I have to be careful generally and those moves set me up for an injury. I like slow, controlled stretching.
don't do these workouts if you have a touchy back. just suggesting.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 03:59 PM  
blueskies

^^Yes to all of the above.

And I completely agree with staying far away from workouts that aggravate a touchy back. Recently, I discovered this book (which is unfortunately not widely available) that covers a whole slew of contraindicated movements and stretches to avoid that are commonly used in video routines. How I wish I would've read it wayyyy back when I first started exercising years ago. It really explains why I dealt with so many back issues from some of the popular video routines. Common stretches like side bends and unsupported bent over hamstring stretches are just two of the major culprits in exacerbating back pain.

If you could get a copy of it, I highly recommend it. It has transformed my approach to exercise and stretching.

PACE Express rotation: completed 11/14/12

Life is a wonderful thing even with the difficulties that are sprinkled in.
~little bird from VF

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean
blueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 04:00 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Oh I am sorry to read these posts! Yes, a person can get injured doing anything...including Essentrics/Classical Stretch.

The biggest thing I notice when I am teaching classes is not keeping the tailbone tucked under when your arms are extended in front of you....like when you are "washing tables" or extending the arm in front reaching.

You should always keep your knees soft, and the shoulders never extend past your knees.

You are right that sometimes, in the earlier workouts, Miranda would say things like "pull the arm out of the socket" (cringe worthy). Don't do that. Leave your arm in the socket.

Essentrics/CS is a wonderful technique...but I will acknowledge not for everyone. I think it's best to keep your movements small to begin with. If you get a chance to work with an instructor, they may have more insight as to what may be going on with form, etc.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 05:00 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Oh my goodness yes! Several months ago I injured myself doing that CS stretch where you put one foot on a chair, stand tip toe on the other foot and dip down to stretch the hip flexor. I knew the moment I did the stretch that it was not a good one. The next morning I woke up with a hip injury - very "sore", high up in the outside hip area. After several weeks I went to the doctor and he diagnosed hip bursitis. I've done physical therapy and it still hurts, although it's beginning to get a little better.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 05:03 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Has anyone ever gotten an injury through doing Classical Stretch. I love it, and do it almost every day after doing some kind of Cardio, like Step, Spinning, Kickboxing etc. I have no idea what I did, but my leg is really sore going up my thigh. Sometimes I feel it in the front and sometimes the side. It might even be part if my hip. I was thinking maybe I stetched too far and pulled something. Have anyone ever done that? If not maybe I did something while doing my cardio.
This sounds like my Classical Stretch injury - my doctor says it's hip bursitis.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 05:04 PM  
alisoncooks

Count me in. I can't do CS...my body doesn't like it. (The only CS I can -- and do -- use/benefit from is the freebie Frozen Shoulder workout.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-17, 08:00 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Oh my goodness yes! Several months ago I injured myself doing that CS stretch where you put one foot on a chair, stand tip toe on the other foot and dip down to stretch the hip flexor. . . .

Carol
That sounds like the Essentrics stretch where I also hurt my knee. As I recall, I put more of my leg on the chair and then there was a twisty kind of move --
Old 09-14-17, 07:55 AM  
dnna

another thing I would like to add as a caution to those who would like to try CS-Miranda, in addition to saying pull you muscle out of the joint, will quite frequently tell you if you don't pull to the point of -well to pain or injury-you wil not get any benefit from doing the exercise. She says something like-you will only get 20% of the benefit. I know my rational self would not do it, but my vidiot competitive self tries to do what the instructor says or does. so don't do that. do a small range of motion despite her cues until you become very familiar and know you can without harming your shoulder like I did.
and good luck. many many people like this program- love it and get get results. just not me.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, injuries, miranda esmonde-white