Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-17, 09:02 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good workouts for foot surgery?

I am planning some foot surgery and would like some ideas for DVDs to keep me from losing conditioning altogether. I'm having one foot at a time done, and will have pins in my toes for six weeks then they'll be tender while finishing healing. Then repeat other side.

I thought about Chair Dancing and looked at clips, but that's an awful lot of toe tapping and footwork for a person with pins in their toes! No way Jose! Also looked at Sit and Be Fit and those are way too boring for me.

I currently have:
  • Margaret's Getting Better
  • Variety of Pilates
  • Lee Holden's Qigong for Seniors
Any other suggestions for one or two additional workouts?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 09:11 AM  
DrSteph

The floorwork from the Original Buns of Steel with Gregg Smithey might work for you -- mostly side lying work, and some all fours.

Good luck with the surgery!

Steph
DrSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 09:19 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Jessica Smith has a couple of chair workouts on Youtube - but I've never watched them, so they might not be appropriate for you. Good luck!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 10:03 AM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

When I split open my big toe I did boxing /kickboxing workouts while seated. If there was a kick I just did a leg extension and really tried to squeeze my quad.

If you have a stability ball I'd recommend using that versus a chair. It's easier to shift your stance plus it works the core. If you need to use a chair, use one without anything on the sides.

For strength work I would do everything seated. For lower body, I did a lot of floor work segments.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 10:48 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 11:31 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
When I split open my big toe I did boxing /kickboxing workouts while seated. If there was a kick I just did a leg extension and really tried to squeeze my quad.

If you have a stability ball I'd recommend using that versus a chair. It's easier to shift your stance plus it works the core. If you need to use a chair, use one without anything on the sides.

For strength work I would do everything seated. For lower body, I did a lot of floor work segments.
i was just going to suggest these ideas!

just use all of your existing videos except do it in a chair/on a ball. if you have a barre, like fluidity barre, you can do pull-ups while seated. if you have a way of securing your resistance bands from the top of the door, you can pull it down while seated. you can lift up your hips while seated in a chair:

#38 in this link, except do it in a chair.

you could do plank and push-ups on your knees. most pilates mat work appears to be foot-free.

if you have access to a pool, water aerobics might be a good option.

let us know what you discover!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 11:59 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Well, I figured you already have Margaret's Getting Better. That would be my first suggestion.

Greg's OBoS is good, plus he's a hoot.

Karen Voight has some killer floor and ab work in her vintage Great Weighted Workout.

Best wishes for safe surgeries and quick healing, Pat!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 12:21 PM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I am planning some foot surgery and would like some ideas for DVDs to keep me from losing conditioning altogether. I'm having one foot at a time done, and will have pins in my toes for six weeks then they'll be tender while finishing healing. Then repeat other side.

I thought about Chair Dancing and looked at clips, but that's an awful lot of toe tapping and footwork for a person with pins in their toes! No way Jose! Also looked at Sit and Be Fit and those are way too boring for me.

I currently have:
  • Margaret's Getting Better
  • Variety of Pilates
  • Lee Holden's Qigong for Seniors
Any other suggestions for one or two additional workouts?
I'm so sorry! I have a youtube playlist from my surgery, let me see if I can get something together for you. Would you mind PM'ing me your email?
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 12:26 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Pat, hope all goes smoothly with your surgery!
I really like Ellen Barrett's Fusion Floor (not to be confused with Fusion Flow). It's about 45 min, all on the floor, & Pilates based.
http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=4430

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 12:39 PM  
sherry7899

I have several of Sarah Starr's seated yoga dvds if you would like to borrow any/all of them.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot surgery