Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-16, 11:24 AM  
blueskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
With the appeal of 20 minutes, I was going to give this a shot too (plus I'm also a pear shape) but it turns out I have Slim Series, not Slim in 6. But.... I do have KIU that I got in trade, so I did your magic on KIU just now. I'm wondering if you can tell me what kind of work is done in the BIU shortened workout so that I might try to cobble something similar together. I'm wondering if some of your "magic" is that you figured out the exercises that work well for you and focused on only those consistently. If I could figure out the same on my end, well, maybe that would do me good. Thanks!
bee - That is exactly what I did, and eliminated exercises that had either caused bulking issues for me in the past, or contributed to body soreness that was contraindicated. Focusing on limited standing leg work (but still including an adequate amount of it), extended lower body floorwork, working abs/core within the workout, and choosing the most compound upper body exercises from the workouts (rows and pushups) was the key to what got me to my goals.

And believe it or not, I originally started my "miracle" rotation with just KIU, so no Si6 is necessary for you to utilize my modified workout. I only added BIU for variety, and even experimented with Ramp It Up! and Start It Up! too. I had to eliminate SIU since it had no leg floorwork or weighted upper body; and RIU would actually work great as a "starter" modification of my modification lol. But since its floor leg exercises had much shorter sets, I decided to just stick with modifying BIU. Of the two (BIU and KIU), KIU has more included exercises, so don't worry that you don't have Si6.

The major differences are that BIU has more total rows and pushups (but not by much), and varies one of the floor leg exercises. I "redesigned" BIU for myself to provide variety, and for a slightly shorter workout (I've gotten it down to 19 minutes or less).

What you could do to vary KIU to make it similiar to BIU and to keep it interesting is to sub in long lever leg lifts in place of the second set of leg shoot outs during the floorwork. So instead of: shoot outs, shoot outs, hamstring curls, bent leg pushes it would be: shoot outs, long lever leg lifts, hamstring curls, bent leg pushes.

After following these modifications for 6 weeks and as a fellow pear, I can highly recommend this workout for fantastic results! I find the use of just enough standing leg work with an emphasis on floor lower body exercises really tightens up the areas without thickening them.

PACE Express rotation: completed 11/14/12

Life is a wonderful thing even with the difficulties that are sprinkled in.
~little bird from VF

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

Last edited by blueskies; 09-28-16 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
blueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 11:27 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

It looks like I also have Slim Series instead of Si6.

Rebecca, I understand your concerns about copyright. I'm not sure if it could be converted.

Lately I've been purchasing more streaming workouts because so many of my DVDs are scratched and barely usable. I like that Margaret Richard has a wonderful streaming site and everything is chaptered. Once you purchase, you have the ability to download in entirety or by chapter.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 11:39 AM  
blueskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
It looks like I also have Slim Series instead of Si6.

Rebecca, I understand your concerns about copyright. The DVD might be able to convert to mp3, mp4, etc.

Lately I've been purchasing more streaming workouts because so many of my DVDs are scratched and barely usable. I like that Margaret Richard has a wonderful streaming site and everything is chaptered. Once you purchase, you have the ability to download in entirety or by chapter.

~Beth
Beth - Thanks for the additional info on possible DVD conversion. And no worries about not having Si6; see my post to bee above for what you can do. As long as you have KIU (which is a separate DVD from Si6), you can do the rotation. And if you don't, KIU is still pretty easy to acquire; it's the original Si6 that is a bit harder to find, since most of the Si6 copies readily available now are the updated 2010 ones.

~little bird from VF

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean
Old 09-28-16, 01:03 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Ah, so it sounds like you're doing mostly the same exercises with BIU and KIU, you just have some variety in how they're done? Thanks for all of the details! bethlakey, I'm guessing that Margaret Richard's segments might be a good sub for this stuff. Sorry to be quick -- have to run suddenly!
bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-16, 02:53 PM  
blueskies

Quote:
Ah, so it sounds like you're doing mostly the same exercises with BIU and KIU, you just have some variety in how they're done? Thanks for all of the details!
That's exactly correct, bee! And you're very welcome!

~little bird from VF

~Jimmy Dean
Old 09-28-16, 06:03 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Ah, so it sounds like you're doing mostly the same exercises with BIU and KIU, you just have some variety in how they're done? Thanks for all of the details! bethlakey, I'm guessing that Margaret Richard's segments might be a good sub for this stuff. Sorry to be quick -- have to run suddenly!
Margaret Richard has some of, if not the hardest floor workouts I've ever done, especially her older classics. She's having a 30% off sale, so I wrapped up some streaming purchases today, no shipping charges, yay!

~Beth
Old 09-28-16, 06:04 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
Beth - Thanks for the additional info on possible DVD conversion. And no worries about not having Si6; see my post to bee above for what you can do. As long as you have KIU (which is a separate DVD from Si6), you can do the rotation. And if you don't, KIU is still pretty easy to acquire; it's the original Si6 that is a bit harder to find, since most of the Si6 copies readily available now are the updated 2010 ones.
Rebecca, I haven't read their copyright details but it should be able to convert. I'm off to look for KIU original.

~Beth
Old 09-28-16, 06:29 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Rebecca, I pm'd you.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-16, 05:01 AM  
blueskies

Gina - PM'd you back!

Did you try the workout yesterday after work? What did you think?

~little bird from VF

~Jimmy Dean
Old 09-29-16, 11:57 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Blueskies, congrats on the great results! And thanks for sharing with us the modified version you did!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
si6, slim in 6