Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-15, 09:40 AM  
Aunt Famous

I won a Facebook contest two year's ago around Mother's Day, and got to talk to Tracie for an hour. (Love her. She's great.) I told her how kind her workouts were for the 40+ set, and like me, she got tired of beating her body up. Like I said in the other Tracie thread, these discussions have me dusting off her workouts again to mix in with my Pilates and reformer work.

One of the benefits for me about getting older is the shift in my thinking about my body (and thus, my workouts). It used to be a punishment fest: I had to beat my poor body into submission and bend it to my will. I am much kinder these days: I have to take care of my body. Ironically, I look and feel so much better now.

I went to a store the other day, and had to give the cashier's my debit card and driver's license -- both of which have photos of me that are 10 to 15 years old. The clerk (who was a stranger) looked at both, looked at me, and said, "Don't take this the wrong way, but these old pictures are not you. You look more like yourself now, and a whole lot better." Nice to hear. And true!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-15, 05:43 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I had to jump back into this thread -- I've been hooked on Tracie lately! I'm really late to the party, since I'd never done any of her workouts prior to just a few months ago.

I'd had to give up intensity and heavy weights just due to general fatigue and soreness since I turned 40. But I'm easily able to do her cardio and her weights, and I think it's because she gives you the proper recovery time in between and I never feel like I can't go on nor that endless rep feeling I get from other instructors.

I started some doing some of her higher intensity cardio and I can actually do it without feeling exhausted and wiped out for days. I generally do a CS/Essentric stretch every day (or every other day lately), and I feel like this combo is particularly great for my body shape and my general lack of time (busy working mom of active kids) and my age (40s). Love love love Tracie!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-15, 06:02 PM  
TX Michelle

Me too, Lori! Based largely on this thread (thanks, once again, VF ) I decided to make Tracie my summer rotation and I'm LOVING them. I knew her from working out with The Firm years ago, but I hadn't tried any of her newer offerings. So I bought them all in Mary's sale. (I'm a total binge buyer )

Anyway, I just did reboot, vol.1 yesterday and it was great. I can do exercises with her workouts that just wipe me out in other workouts, I think because of the elements you mention: not too many reps, proper recovery time. I also love that there is a thorough stretch at the end even though the workouts are only 50 minutes. I'm going to try her TLT workouts next--those look a little harder, but still doable.

I'm loving that I feel well worked out, but not "beat up." I've noticed this as I get older too (I'm 39). It's not so much that I can't do more impact or super heavy weights, it's just I no longer feel as good as I used to after those workouts if that's all I'm doing.

Last edited by TX Michelle; 06-04-15 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo correction
TX Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-15, 06:12 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Michelle View Post
Me too, Lori! Based largely on this thread (thanks, once again, VF ) I decided to make Tracie my summer rotation and I'm LOVING them. I knew her from working out with The Firm years ago, but I hadn't tried any of her newer offerings. So I bought them all in Mary's sale. (I'm a total binge buyer )

Anyway, I just did reboot, vol.1 yesterday and it was great. I can do exercises with her workouts that just wipe me out in other workouts, I think because of the elements you mention: not too many reps, proper recovery time. I also love that there is a thorough stretch at the end even though the workouts are only 50 minutes. I'm going to try her TLT workouts next--those look a little harder, but still doable.

I'm loving that I feel well worked out, but not "beat up." I've noticed this as I get older too (I'm 39). It's not so much that I can't do more impact or super heavy weights, it's just I no longer feel as good as I used to after those workouts if that's all I'm doing.
I agree that the thorough stretching is something I really am enjoying (even in her 30 minute workouts!). And I also concur that even though I probably could do higher impact and heavier weights, I just don't feel good after anymore, and I just want to feel good from workouts, not exhausted. Her muscles don't seem overdeveloped, but she seems really strong (and as a northerner, her accent is adorable!). Her cueing is spot on, everything is basic but really creative, I'm not lost all the time, and even in her 30-minute Focus series, I feel like I did a complete workout.

I'm so glad I read this thread in April! (but my wallet isn't !)
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
step forward, stronger longer, stronger longer 2, tracie long, tracie long rotation