Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-15, 09:07 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

pilates for legs?

This might seem like a strange request, but I'm looking for pilates exercises that focus mainly on the feet and lower legs. I have a foot problem called PTTD and am looking for ways to lengthen the calf and other muscles of the leg. I did a google search and didn't find anything, so do any VFers know if there is such a thing? TIA!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 10:21 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

There is a gizmo called a foot corrector. If you visit www.pilates.com, the website for Balanced Body Pilates, you might be able to find some more information on it.

Out of curiosity I found this Youtube video.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 01:20 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Both Kathy Smith and Ana Caban have good dvds. I think they are both called Lower Body Pilates.
Old 02-17-15, 01:53 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
Both Kathy Smith and Ana Caban have good dvds. I think they are both called Lower Body Pilates.
I've been meaning to get Kathy's LBP for a while - this might be a good time to treat myself.
Old 02-17-15, 02:55 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sorry you're having foot problems. Foot pain can ruin a good day!

The first Stott Pilates band workout, and maybe others, uses the band to do footwork similar to what's done on the reformer. Maybe someone here knows who made the video called Reformer on the Mat. You can google it. Sorry I don't know who made that one.

I have a foot corrector. Have you been to PT to know what sort of exercises you should do? The foot corrector didn't do much for my PF but the cold foot plate feels great when I use it.

http://www.centerworkspilates.com has a great little kit for working the feet.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 03:35 PM  
PennyK

Not pilates, but i found The Healthy Foot dvd that i'm actually interested in on Amazon and there is a clip on "thehealthyfootdvd.com" and it looks really good. The dvd contains exercises to strengthen your feet, arches, ankles, legs, pelvic floor, inner thigh, and calf muscles. They also offer as a download. (25 minutes)
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 03:39 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. Oddly, my podiatrist did not recommend physical therapy for this condition because he said it doesn't do anything and is a waste of time. I thought that was a strange attitude, but I've been thinking of going to a different podiatrist for a second opinion. In the meantime, I thought maybe pilates would be beneficial.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 04:15 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I would get a second opinion! PT might be very beneficial to you.
Old 02-17-15, 06:31 PM  
Pam

I have had a lot of troubles since I was a little kid with my ankles and as an adult with PF. As a result of the exercises I do frequently now, I have little troubles with either these days.

As result of the life long problems with both, I have researched and tried out a lot of exercises. To date Classical Stretch & Essentics, as well as Qi Gong have helped me the most.

In the preview of the healthy foot there were a few exercises that I have never seen before and I think will help me. I have the DVD on the way to me. I will give feedback here after trying it out. Has anyone purchased the DVD or the downloads? If so, did you find it helpful?
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 11:52 AM  
PennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I have had a lot of troubles since I was a little kid with my ankles and as an adult with PF. As a result of the exercises I do frequently now, I have little troubles with either these days.

As result of the life long problems with both, I have researched and tried out a lot of exercises. To date Classical Stretch & Essentics, as well as Qi Gong have helped me the most.

In the preview of the healthy foot there were a few exercises that I have never seen before and I think will help me. I have the DVD on the way to me. I will give feedback here after trying it out. Has anyone purchased the DVD or the downloads? If so, did you find it helpful?
What are your thoughts on the Healthy Foot dvd?
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot injury, foot pain, foot surgery, pilates band