Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-14, 08:57 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I do Cathe's older workouts more than I do her new ones.

I miss:

Cathe's energy. She still can do more than most her age, but she now gets winded and tired whereas in her older workouts, she never did.

Cathe's naturalness. This includes her appearance (cannot go into details due to forum rules), and her demeanor.

The music. Most of the new music is so bad, and I don't like the changing of lyrics on familiar melodies.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 11:35 AM  
Aquajock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post

-I miss the amazing premixes she used to offer. Including the as-produced workout in as-produced order minus one chapter, does not a premix make. A premix should not be something I can do with my remote in three or fewer clicks. Think of Body Max 2 or Step Blast/Step, Jump, & Pump - those DVDs had premixes which felt like new workouts! But now, for the most part, they are so lackluster in terms of creativity.

-I miss the chaptering!!! I could not believe it when Hard Strikes put the warm up and the cardio in the SAME chapter!! What?? And lately her leg workouts are just one chapter of several exercises ('standing work', 'floor work,' etc.). I miss the days when each exercise had its own chapter.
Ponytail, I could have written this myself. I too greatly miss the fine chaptering and the superior premixes of earlier series. THAT, to me, justified the higher cost of the DVDs and then some. I have found the premixes of later releases to be almost not even premixes at all.

And - don't flame me - I miss the intensity of her earlier series. To me, the "Shock Cardio" series could have been titled "Mild Surprise Cardio", and the subsequent releases are the same way. Although a lot of exclamation points and repetitions of the word "crush" get thrown around in the promos, it is clear her older releases are vastly superior intensity-wise to the more recent ones, especially cardio workouts.

Like you, I feel bad about this. Cathe got me fit, REALLY fit. But the arc of her work product has changed significantly over the years, and seldom do her newer releases find a place in my closet or my schedule.

I do wish I felt differently.

A-Jock
Old 09-13-14, 01:34 PM  
bzbnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecififi View Post
I also prefer the great premixes but having them or not doesn't bother me either way. I actually like the new music - a lot. I love the music in Xtrain, in her non-series series from last year and the instrumental stuff in LIS (except for trisets - that was brutal). But I tend to be biased when it comes to Cathe. I can't see any flaws whatsoever. I work out to her pretty much 90%+ of the time cos I find her, her moves and music so motivating. I love Cathe

I do notice a difference in her spirit as she has gotten older but I guess that happens to us all. I find her more serious in newer workouts - more loose, free and fun in her older workouts.
Ahh, cecififi, a kindred spirit. I am about the same age as Cathe and she kicks my butt! I'd like to follow her as long as I can.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-14, 09:04 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I appreciate that Cathe keeps evolving, so I don't really miss the old. Oh, except I did think the chaptering in her last set of workouts wasn't as useful as it could have been. I wonder what happened there? Cathe's not lazy, so I'm sure there's a story there. Fingers crossed we get good chaptering in Ripped!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 11:02 AM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Good chaptering is the only thing I miss. I never have really ended up using the pre-mixes that often.

Cathe has changed over the years, that is true. But so have I, and I prefer her newer workouts to her older ones for the most part.
Old 09-14-14, 11:08 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Cathe's naturalness. This includes her appearance (cannot go into details due to forum rules), and her demeanor.
Same here. I do mostly older Cathe workouts and when I pop in a newer one the difference is rather shocking. It has put me off buying her newer workouts unless it is one I'm really interested in. That doesn't happen too often anymore.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 01:15 PM  
jennstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
I appreciate that Cathe keeps evolving, so I don't really miss the old. Oh, except I did think the chaptering in her last set of workouts wasn't as useful as it could have been. I wonder what happened there? Cathe's not lazy, so I'm sure there's a story there. Fingers crossed we get good chaptering in Ripped!
Completely agree with you. We all constantly change, so I am happy with new and old Cathe. Hopefully they will return to the superb chaptering of workouts past.
jennstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 01:42 PM  
carolyn jane

Bangs
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 05:37 PM  
bzbnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Same here. I do mostly older Cathe workouts and when I pop in a newer one the difference is rather shocking.
Huh? ...

Oh yeah, right, I guess I'm shocked too sometimes when I look in the mirror. We have no choice but to age! I think her eyelashes look kind of classic on DVD (like MaryAnn and Ginger in Gilligan's Island), you never see a close close-up so it's not weird to me, just pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
Cathe has changed over the years, that is true. But so have I, and I prefer her newer workouts to her older ones for the most part.
I think I prefer her newer workouts a little more than the older ones too. Maybe it's just because I haven't done the newer ones as many times? New music, new set, new moves. All good.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-14, 06:47 PM  
wendy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbnmom View Post
Huh? ...

Oh yeah, right, I guess I'm shocked too sometimes when I look in the mirror. We have no choice but to age.
Though we can make it look as if we aren't aging by having certain procedures done to make us perkier and bigger in the boob department, and lineless and unmoving in the face department. That's the choice Cathe seems to have made, hence the comments about how much she has changed.
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe workouts, older cathe workouts, power music