Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-14, 10:09 AM  
ponytail

Cathe's Older Workouts: Things We Miss

I'll go first.

(Preface - I love Cathe's workouts. Cross Train Xpress was my first workout DVD. She got me in shape before. After a recent hiatus, she'll get me in shape again. 95% of the workouts I do are Cathe's. This thread isn't meant as Cathe-bashing.)

-I miss the amazing premixes she used to offer. Including the as-produced workout in as-produced order minus one chapter, does not a premix make. A premix should not be something I can do with my remote in three or fewer clicks. Think of Body Max 2 or Step Blast/Step, Jump, & Pump - those DVDs had premixes which felt like new workouts! But now, for the most part, they are so lackluster in terms of creativity.

-I miss the chaptering!!! I could not believe it when Hard Strikes put the warm up and the cardio in the SAME chapter!! What?? And lately her leg workouts are just one chapter of several exercises ('standing work', 'floor work,' etc.). I miss the days when each exercise had its own chapter.

-I miss seeing Cathe in Cathe workouts. Not sure when it started (maybe with High Reps, STS Total Body, Intensity, and Lower Body Blast) but I really dislike this trend of showing close-ups of background exercisers more than of Cathe herself! And I particularly don't like it when the camera is on a backgrounder when Cathe starts a new move. I want to see Cathe's form - she's the one who came up with the routine!!

-The music. But judging from the music Amy, Seasun, Kelly, and others are using, it seems to be an industry thing and not a Cathe thing. Thank goodness for Triple Tracks, because I can't stand the Weird Al lyrics (and I love Weird Al).

Here's hoping Ripped with HIIT will be well-chaptered and feature innovative premixes!!
ponytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 10:38 AM  
bubbles76

I miss Cedie, Deazie, and Lorraine! I wish they could be in every workout. I also miss Rhonda. She always looked like she was having a great time.

I miss the phony pony from Muscle Max. I think Cathe looked cute with it

I miss seeing Jai in pants. She has great legs but I think she looks awesome in pants and capris.

I miss the big, red stability balls from Butts and Guts. They looked like giant gumballs.

Yep, I'm keeping the thread light
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 10:40 AM  
Chomper

I think it would be awesome if they really were Weird Al style lyrics and not just banal claptrap.

I am with you on all of your points. I have to say though, about the music quality dropping being industry-wide, that I thought the same thing. But Susan Chung's latest, Rapidfire 4, had really great music, in my opinion, so now I am not sure...
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 10:45 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Re: music, there was some change in licensing laws. I can't remember the specifics, but there was discussion of it here on VF at the time. It was a few years ago. Instructors can no longer use a lot of songs, even ones that have been covered, without paying huge fees.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 10:55 AM  
bzbnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I miss Cedie, Deazie, and Lorraine! I wish they could be in every workout.
... and Jai too (wasn't she missing in some?) I really wish Deazie would return - she has the cutest smile!

I never really made much use of the premixes and chaptering, except I have been a little more lately. Cathe's music - well, I like it all (except I do not like the Jurassic Park music so much). IMO even LIS series sounds better than many other instructors'. I guess I don't have (m)any complaints. I my Cathe workouts!

ETA: I liked seeing Cathe in her Cathe T-shirt. It would be nice if she or some of her crew would wear that for more workouts. And I love that Brenda is in all the DVDs.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 11:04 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Her best premixes took place when there were two workouts on one dvd. However, that way you sometimes had to buy workouts you didn't like to get one you did. They also tended to freeze because they were multilayered.

I'd like to see Lorraine again, but I understand that they have their own lives to live and can't be in every workout. Amanda and Marlo are good additions.
Old 09-10-14, 11:25 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I think it would be awesome if they really were Weird Al style lyrics and not just banal claptrap.

I am with you on all of your points. I have to say though, about the music quality dropping being industry-wide, that I thought the same thing. But Susan Chung's latest, Rapidfire 4, had really great music, in my opinion, so now I am not sure...
I really like the music on Rapidfire 4 also, & the credits say Power music, so I'm wondering why Cathe has to make things so complicated with the music these days--why not just go with Power Music or another company like that like she used to in the old days? Their music isn't bad, & I'd think she could afford them.

Besides the music, I miss the chaptering & the premixes. The premixes she's putting out these days are not premixes in my opinion. I'm not sure what to call them--the really lazy person's shortcuts? I actually don't mind waiting longer for a better quality workout dvd--with great music, chaptering, & premixes, but I'm guessing those days are gone.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 12:25 PM  
jenn38

I miss her good music. She used to use really fun music. It has become a little better but her older workouts definetly had better music.

I miss the mix and match option. I did gym style legs this morning and love how it goes back to the main menu each time.

And creative premixes.

I also miss Lorraine and Deazie was a nice addition.

What I don't miss is the men from STS. I found them to be annoying. Especially the guy with the baby weights. My purse weighs more then he lifted at times.

But what I love is her live classes. They are so much fun. And Cathe shines.
Old 09-10-14, 12:37 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn38 View Post
<snip>

What I don't miss is the men from STS. I found them to be annoying. Especially the guy with the baby weights. My purse weighs more then he lifted at times.
LOL! My purse would give him a hernia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn38 View Post
<snip>
But what I love is her live classes. They are so much fun. And Cathe shines.
I really love her Live classes too. I signed on really just thinking I'd give the classes a try, then cancel. I haven't cancelled yet - these classes are fun and effective!

I like having all the 'original' gang in the videos. (I had a late start to Cathe, so to me the original gang is Cedie, Brenda, Lorraine and Jai. I like the other backgrounders too - no offense! Amanda is a great addition - such great form - and those abs! ) I especially miss Cedie when she's gone.

I miss the good music too. I don't hate the sound-alikes as much as many people, but the music has been hit-or-miss for me.

I have always wished Cathe would include outtakes. She's always so perfect, it would be fun to see her more 'human' side. (We get a taste of that with the Live classes.)

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-14, 02:07 PM  
Indy

When I really got into Cathe the backgrounders were Cedie, Lorraine, Jai and Brenda. I just really want those 4 in my Cathe workouts - no one else. Everyone else seem nice and everything but I still don't want them in there. I suppose I'll have to get over it.

Premixes aren't as clever - really disappointed in that step tape they put together. They were offering it with the last pre sale and it was the most unimaginative mix ever. I never got it because based on what I heard it was whole workouts stuck together. Why would I want that? I could make that myself.

I miss dancey cardio - hard choreography - but it seems all her cardio now is athletic with easy moves and so high impact. I am thinking now that we have both changed and I need to break up with her.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, cathe workouts, older cathe workouts, power music