Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-14, 02:26 AM  
marya

Classical Stretch vs. Lastics?

After more years than I care to admit, I still haven't found my perfect stretch workout, but I haven't given up hope! Had high hopes for Classical Stretch--alas, it just didn't click with me. I guess I need a more thorough, methodical approach, with demonstrated modifications. Might Lastics fit the bill?

For those who have done both CS and Lastics, how would you compare/contrast them?
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 09:46 AM  
Demeris

Someone in another thread compared Lastics to Yin Yoga. I've never done Yin Yoga, but here's a feeble attempt to compare the two:

CS/Essentrics is flowing, stretching through movement. Lastics is static. CS moves our muscles through the stretch in that flowing motion. Lastics requires us to get in good form, then stress the entire length of the muscle in that form before we move on.

CS stretches me and boosts my energy for the day. Lastics stretches me thoroughly but requires my body to rest a bit (not necessarily immediately but in the sense that I've done a vigorous workout and might not want to workout that hard for a couple of days).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 10:56 AM  
lrb04

Marya~ I never tried CS but from clips & from others it has many elements besides stretch that is the incorporated into it. I have both Lastics & they are pure stretching DVDs which has some segments that hold a stretch longer but also a slow flow to get into the stretch. Lastics 1 has more static stretching than advanced Lastics (or Lastics 2). I Donna & her style which has taught me how to stretch the muscle within my body's ability.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 12:19 PM  
marya

Thank you, Fran and Demeris. From what both of you have written, it sounds like Lastics (at least the beginner workout) would be more of what I'm looking for right now. It was the "extra stuff", I think, that put me off CS. I'm no multitasker, and when I'm doing a stretch workout, I really want just to stretch--no sneaky curls and crunches!
Old 06-30-14, 12:30 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
CS/Essentrics is flowing, stretching through movement. Lastics is static. CS moves our muscles through the stretch in that flowing motion. Lastics requires us to get in good form, then stress the entire length of the muscle in that form before we move on.

CS stretches me and boosts my energy for the day. Lastics stretches me thoroughly but requires my body to rest a bit (not necessarily immediately but in the sense that I've done a vigorous workout and might not want to workout that hard for a couple of days).
This is an excellent comparison!

Marya, I have the first Lastics DVD and I believe it definitely provides the "thorough, methodical approach" you are looking for. One drawback for me is that I find there is a lack of balance between forward flexions (overdone) versus extensions (insufficient). It was not an issue for me originally but doing the workout again after a long hiatus I was struck by this. One solution would be to use a segment in combination with, say, a yoga practice focused more on back bends.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 12:35 PM  
lrb04

Marya~ No sneaky curls or crunches in Lastics. Lastics 1 is chaptered but does not have a menu. It is about 1 hour long minus tutorial at beginning. I have done the whole thing & sections too. The sections are stated before she starts like one section is "Mind in Muscle" so you know you reached the next sections besides FF on player. The sections are 9-22" long. Lastics 2 has a menu but when you choose a section after it is finished instead of going back to menu it goes to the next section. You could push the menu button though or just FF to your next stretch.
Old 06-30-14, 03:22 PM  
marya

Thanks, Fuzzie and Fran (and hello to Jelly Bean!). I'll keep your pointers in mind! I really do need to do more total body stretching, but there's just something ho-hum about all the stretch DVDs I have. Nothing lights that spark, ya know?
Old 06-30-14, 03:32 PM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post

One drawback for me is that I find there is a lack of balance between forward flexions (overdone) versus extensions (insufficient). It was not an issue for me originally but doing the workout again after a long hiatus I was struck by this. One solution would be to use a segment in combination with, say, a yoga practice focused more on back bends.
Yes, this - the imbalance of forward bends to backbends. I am almost afraid to even mention it on various posts after my experience in posting a review of the first Lastics DVD. I had taken a lot of effort and time to post a detailed review, including all the major stretches used, how long each portion was - so someone could read the content and figure out if it was something they might like. I then finished the review with my personal thoughts on the DVD and pointed out the missing backbends. I posted this review on Amazon and next thing the creator of the DVD started posting against my review. She apparently sees many injuries from backbends and doesn't use them as much - or something along that line. I was so surprised by her responding to my Amazon review and trying to tell me I was wrong, despite the amount of time I had spent to write a balanced review, that after a few responses back and forth, I deleted my review. Annoyingly, I usually write my reviews in Word first and then copy and paste, but this time I hadn't or I would have at least posted it here.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I did find the DVD unbalanced with too many forward bends and lacking on back bends.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 04:14 PM  
lrb04

Marya~ Jelly says Hi back!

Fuzzie & Kitty~ Thanks for letting others know your thoughts on the balance on Lastics 1. I use so many other stretch/yoga workouts that it evens itself out. I could see it a problem if that was the only stretching thing you did. I still Lastics & recommend it because it has helped me so much!
Old 06-30-14, 04:18 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
Yes, this - the imbalance of forward bends to backbends. I am almost afraid to even mention it on various posts after my experience in posting a review of the first Lastics DVD. I had taken a lot of effort and time to post a detailed review, including all the major stretches used, how long each portion was - so someone could read the content and figure out if it was something they might like. I then finished the review with my personal thoughts on the DVD and pointed out the missing backbends. I posted this review on Amazon and next thing the creator of the DVD started posting against my review. She apparently sees many injuries from backbends and doesn't use them as much - or something along that line. I was so surprised by her responding to my Amazon review and trying to tell me I was wrong, despite the amount of time I had spent to write a balanced review, that after a few responses back and forth, I deleted my review. Annoyingly, I usually write my reviews in Word first and then copy and paste, but this time I hadn't or I would have at least posted it here.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I did find the DVD unbalanced with too many forward bends and lacking on back bends.
I hadn't heard of Lastics before seeing it on another thread today. So I looked at reviews on Amazon over lunch, and the creator responded to *every single* review that wasn't 100% positive, in order to rebut them. It bugged me. It's one thing if a reviewer mis-states something, but that wasn't the case with Kitty12's review, or with the other reviews that weren't totally glowing. If someone thinks that a workout is imbalanced, I for one want to know about it. If someone doesn't like a workout for whatever reason, I want to know about it.

I'm sorry that you had that experience, Kitty12. Thanks very much for posting here--I appreciate your thoughts.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, lastics