Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-14, 06:25 PM  
Kyra

Am not at all familiar with essentrics. I never really considered CS a "workout," per se. I only ever had one of her videos (it was some kind of athletic stretch) but I did used to see her program on TV, and I just considered it more stretching than anything. It was on Sunday mornings after my runs so I'd do it as sort of a cool down if I remembered. I think she's interesting but I don't really get what CS is supposed to be all about, in conjunction with some other program, nor did I consider it a program unto itself (at least not for me).

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 06:37 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I've tried, but it's just not my cup of tea. Maybe I just can't figure out what it is Miranda's trying to do.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 06:53 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I tried them years ago and again last year. Miranda's chatter and what she says get on my last nerve.
I tried a few of Miranda's videos in 2002. Her constant chatter, poor cueing, and not knowing the point of some of the exercises was really irritating.

I never bought another one (nor Essentrics).

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 06:58 PM  
bfit

I did not like it and got rid of my set. It was very repetitive, and it was causing me back pain.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 07:13 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
Jeannine - I'm curious - which ones did you buy?
hi karen - i got Miranda's core workout, and sahra's class of 2012 and barre w/o.

dancing - it's interesting because although i don't consider myself a dancer, i own a multitude of dance workouts and i can really keep up w/o pain. although i've never considered myself a good dancer, i can follow and stay with the beat. i am a practised musician, which probably helps me stay with the cadence of dancing.

but w/ miranda's style.... i can't latch onto the pattern. it's not the movement syncronization with the disc's music necessarily, but just maybe the logic of it? i dunno. i usually have a very open mind with most workouts.

i haven't booted them yet. going to make more attempts.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 07:26 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Personally, I enjoy Miranda's workouts and her quirky comments more than I like Sahra's - who has much drier and more "clinical" delivery in her instructions. We all have different tastes.

When I have lower back pain, NOTHING helps me more than Miranda's "Back Pain Relief and Prevention DVD". I like CS a lot, and each episode has its use, but like everything else, it's good when its done in moderation.
Old 03-19-14, 07:41 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
but w/ miranda's style.... i can't latch onto the pattern. it's not the movement syncronization with the disc's music necessarily, but just maybe the logic of it? i dunno. i usually have a very open mind with most workouts.

i haven't booted them yet. going to make more attempts.
Well, like I said, I didn't like CS years ago. It is different. Now I can anticipate what Miranda is doing. Like Dana, I love CS and everything it has done for my body.

Try it again when you feel like it. Maybe even do bits and pieces of the workouts. Maybe you'll end up liking it, maybe not. We are so fortunate that we have so many workout styles to choose from.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 08:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Well, like I said, I didn't like CS years ago. It is different. Now I can anticipate what Miranda is doing. Like Dana, I love CS and everything it has done for my body.

Try it again when you feel like it. Maybe even do bits and pieces of the workouts. Maybe you'll end up liking it, maybe not. We are so fortunate that we have so many workout styles to choose from.

Jackie
i will. of the 2, i think sahra might click better with me. i've only done half of Class of 2012. i'm looking forward to her barre workout.

a long time ago, i borrowed one of miranda's workouts from our library (arms, abs, legs, butt). it wasn't bad, but it didn't motivate me to look into her other videos.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 08:54 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I hurt my back doing Season 8. It took about 3 months for the pain to go away. The pain was mid back/right side.

Even though I like Miranda, I do find her constant chatter annoying, and her uneven reps annoying. I also don't believe in her beliefs that we should not lift weights at all. She believes that only bodybuilders should lift weights, including men.

As far as stretching things out, it didn't do that for me. Again, she really didn't have enough substance to make it work for me. But I really wanted to give her a fair shot, so i stuck with Season all the way through.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-14, 09:24 PM  
Messe

Debbie, our experiences with Miranda and Classical Stretch were similar, except it was Season 9 that did me in and I bailed before I finished it because of the back injury I sustained while working my way through the episodes. While my previously pain-free lower back still isn't back to normal, it's come a long way.

I found Miranda's constant chatter both annoying and distracting, and the uneven reps and/or skipping a move on one side bothered me as well. Her inability to cue movement and positioning adequately is surprising given that she promotes her program as being rehabilitative.

And I definitely don't agree with her about not lifting weights. IMHO that's a terrible message to send, particularly to women.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back injury, classical stretch, dislike, essentrics, stuart mcgill